U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:27 AM

849 posts, read 363,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I used to get customers who balked at the bids. Ok you donít like the price. Thatís fine. But when we talked you wanted all this stuff so I bid how you wanted the work. Iím not hanging that multi crystal chandelier that needs to be put together relocated mounting position and it has a 2 hr assembly time for $40. Anyway. ....
They either start trying to cut corners on the design to lower the price or expect me to cut corners. What I found out is that if I start cutting corners the job isnít to standards and in the end I get stuck trying to fix it on my dime. So I simply donít do it. Find someone else.

Some of those people come back with the ďwe have a friend who can do it for (insert some ridiculously low amount usually 1/3-1/2 of my bid) but we like you and we would rather you get the job. Yeah ok.

First of all nice of you to screw a friend over if itís true.

Second. That friend doesnít exist. Guaranteed. Youíre simply trying to get me to do 10k worth of work for 3-5k. Not gonna happen. And if anyone does those jobs (besides losing their azz) what ends up happening is those same people who ďgenerously bestowed the honor of allowing you to work in the Taj Mahal ď are the same people who will whine and cry to heaven about how youíre taking advantage and screwing them. These types are the reason I completely got out of residential service and construction. Iíll go help a friend out on something small but thatís about it. Want your house wired? Call someone.

They arenít frugal. They are simply cheap bottom of the barrel customers. And I refused to take them. I learned really fast to walk away. These same people either have no contractor who wants to work with them or the contractor canít wait to get done and put them on his black list of never work with again. If no contractor wants to work with you itís not them. Itís you.
Yup, always loved when customers pulled the "Well, I know a guy who'll do it for X amount right now". I'd call their bluff by saying "Well, have them do it then!" 9 times out of 10 their tune changed real quick, because as you said that "friend" probably doesn't even exist, or if they do, there's a reason why they're shopping around for more quotes (don't trust their skills, etc.) and not choosing them right away.

I've always said that people that put cost above all else are slicing their own throats! Sure, try and save money whenever you can and don't pick the most expensive option you can, but DEFINITELY don't go with the cheapest option, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. And frankly I love when people foolishly tried to save a buck and it ends up costing them MORE time an headache than if they would've just forked over the money and done it right the first time!

And you're absolutely correct, they are cheap, bottom of the barrel customers who want everything fixed yesterday for $50 and complain when you give them a fair price for the work they want done! They are in for perpetual disappointment because they never seem to learn their lesson, either!

"If you're not going to bother doing it right, don't bother doing it AT ALL!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 AM

15,170 posts, read 15,210,720 times
I am fine with being cheap, but for the most part, try to avoid buying junk.

Bought a cheapy Dell laptop off Craigslist, to replace my Toshiba, that I bought brand new......Dell is a huge improvement.

I buy various brands of mid-grade tools, stay away from the junk-line of noname-tools that will break in your hands. But it makes no sense for me to buy Snap-on quality.

Bought my cheapy, beater Ramvan for $1550, repair as needed but try not to throw too much money into it.........it's next home will most likely be the junkyard.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:37 AM

849 posts, read 363,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Ignoring small fixes that turn into big expensive repairs is just not wise. This applies to car, homes, appliances, leaks, etc.
"Penny-wise and Pound Foolish" is the quote that comes to minds.

On the personal level, being cheap means you keep buying poorly-made shoes that hurt your feet and fall apart or you can buy a pair or two of well-made shoes that fit well, look good and last almost forever with good care.

Buying the well-made shoes while on sale is being frugal.
Used to work with a guy like this! Blew money like it was going out of style and always whined and complained about being broke. Bought the cheapest pair of boots at walmart and then complained because they fell apart after a few months, we told him "Buy better boots then!" but his excuse was "I can't afford it!" That's a prime example of short term thinking to me. You'll waste more money buying that $25 pair of boots at walmart every few months than if you just save up and buy a higher quality pair of boots.

I always wore Carolina Logger boots, the best boots out there IMO, sure they cost between $110 to $140 initially, but they last about 3 or 4 years of everyday use in an automotive shop! So instead of having constantly sore feet and having to replace my boots every couple of months, I invested more long termly and got to pocket the savings from it.

These are precisely the type of "cheap" people I have absolutely NO sympathy for! Sure, most people will try the cheap option, but if it burns them once they learn and don't repeat that mistake. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is pure insanity! And saving a couple bucks in the immediate short term only to cost you much more in the long term is cutting your own throat!

Keep in mind, I'm one of the most frugal people that I know, but I care much more about quality and longevity than just the initial price tag!

Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 AM

5,119 posts, read 9,416,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Used to work with a guy like this! Blew money like it was going out of style and always whined and complained about being broke. Bought the cheapest pair of boots at walmart and then complained because they fell apart after a few months, we told him "Buy better boots then!" but his excuse was "I can't afford it!" That's a prime example of short term thinking to me. You'll waste more money buying that $25 pair of boots at walmart every few months than if you just save up and buy a higher quality pair of boots.

I always wore Carolina Logger boots, the best boots out there IMO, sure they cost between $110 to $140 initially, but they last about 3 or 4 years of everyday use in an automotive shop! So instead of having constantly sore feet and having to replace my boots every couple of months, I invested more long termly and got to pocket the savings from it.

These are precisely the type of "cheap" people I have absolutely NO sympathy for! Sure, most people will try the cheap option, but if it burns them once they learn and don't repeat that mistake. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is pure insanity! And saving a couple bucks in the immediate short term only to cost you much more in the long term is cutting your own throat!

Keep in mind, I'm one of the most frugal people that I know, but I care much more about quality and longevity than just the initial price tag!
Yep, you've got it! Quality matters and can save us money in the long run...and prevent ouch-y feet, to boot! (excuse the bad pun)

Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM

4,729 posts, read 2,259,491 times
I dunno man, I found that the Kroger brand corned beef hash tasted better than Libby's or Hormel.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM

3,009 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I dunno man, I found that the Kroger brand corned beef hash tasted better than Libby's or Hormel.
Many store-brand products are canned on the same lines and from much the same materials as the brand-name stuff. You have to try; some cheap stuff is not worth buying but much of it is equal to the biggest brand names.

After all, Kroger et al. don't have their own supply lines and food processing plants.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM

The opposite of buying the cheapest, regardless of consequences - that is, paying more to get corresponding or even expanded value - is called "buying for value." Even the cheapest SOB should buy shoes that are comfortable and last for years, even if they can buy four cardboard pair for the same price. But when frugality edges into a lifestyle/mania... it can be hard to convince them.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM

416 posts, read 171,044 times
Quote:
Makes me laugh. Thank you for that !

In my world, the one who laughs most, wins.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,173,061 times
I want to add guys who are so paranoid about women who are after their money that they will always insist to go dutch, wear old outdated clothes and skimp on haircuts to save money, drive old beaters, and live at home or have roomates even though they can afford not to. And when they are very old they wonder why no one wants to go out with them even though they are sitting on a big wad of cash.

Sometimes it pays to spend money on yourself.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Makes me laugh. Thank you for that !
...because only nationally-advertised brands can be any good?

One subtle advantage of store brands and the like is that they tend to be more basic, and not as highly engineered by marketing input to hammer the addiction points. So if they taste different... that may well be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or