U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 2,268,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
After all, Kroger et al. don't have their own supply lines and food processing plants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroger#Manufacturing

"In addition to stocking a variety of regional brand products, The Kroger Company also employs one of the largest networks of private label manufacturing in the country. Thirty-seven plants (either wholly owned or used with operating agreements) in seventeen states create about 40% of Kroger's private label products"

Long live the king!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,040,161 times
Sorry, my sloppy-bad. I think of Kroger as being a store brand. They're a producer at price/quality tier under the big conglomerate names.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:23 PM

4,757 posts, read 2,268,925 times
Quote:
Sorry, my sloppy-bad. I think of Kroger as being a store brand. They're a producer at price/quality tier under the big conglomerate names.
No worries, here have a beer.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:00 PM

219 posts, read 74,784 times
If I remember correctly, the phrase for the behavior you're describing is "penny wise and pound foolish." I tend to be frugal, but love high quality nice things that will last. So, that means waiting for what I want until something goes on sale and/or I receive money as a gift or the universe provides it via Freecycle, Craigslist or my favorite thrift stores. (Oddly enough, nearly everything that I've wanted or needed for my house appeared for free or cheap. It just took patience and keeping a lookout on CL, FC, the thrift store and sometimes the curb on trash day to get them. :-) It means buying good quality items that are worth repairing (three hundred dollar boots that I've had reheeled several times over the years and still look and feel great instead of several pairs of cheap plastic boots) and taking good care of the things that you have instead of treating them as if they're disposable. Being able to differentiate between wants and needs and being able to delay gratification is key. As my mother used to say if there was something that she saw in a store that she wanted but didn't want to drop the cash on at the time, "if I'm meant to have it, it will still be there when it goes on sale or clearance." Wise words from a wise woman.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
No worries, here have a beer.
Hey, I had a generic yellow BEER on my shelf for years. Was a great photo prop.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:03 PM

2,220 posts, read 809,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This would be an example that I consider extreme frugality for anyone (arbitrary number alert) over age 30.

Sleeping in airports on stopovers I get, airports in hotels are expensive and you have transportation and sometimes immigration costs to get to hotels outside the airport zone. However being the creepy old guy sleeping in the bunks of the hostel among the dreadlocked masses coming and going all hours, no thanks. I'd do it in a pinch but as a grownup that's just one level above those folks who sleep at the train station to save a few bucks over a hostel or have lots of fast-food ketchup packets to mix with white rice for meals.
In my 70s, Ive stayed at quite a few hostels in recent years. At most of them, I met at least one other hosteler near my age, it's quite commonplace.. At all of them, I was treated with respect by the younger hostelers, and made friends easily.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:48 PM

15,636 posts, read 9,683,968 times
We've all seen them, some people are just CHEAP ! God, the drive me nuts. I have an acquaintance who I know has money from inheritances, but when he gets his wallet out , dust flies around. Whenever a bunch of us are throwing money into a pot for something, he acts like the dollar bills he has to cough up are tied to his intestines.

At one time I worked for a multi-millionaire, and when we would go to lunch occasionally, he would hardly ever pick up the check. One time I waited him out, and the check laid on the table and I refused to reach for it. He sat there squirming, and squirming, and finally he grabbed it and threw down some money. I saw he hadn't left a tip, so as he was walking out, I put down some money for the server.

I can understand being poor, but I can not understand being cheap.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:02 PM

4,115 posts, read 3,410,513 times
Quote:
Hey, I had a generic yellow BEER on my shelf for years. Was a great photo prop.
I remember that stuff. My Mom made my Dad buy it if he wanted a beer because it was the cheapest.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I remember that stuff. My Mom made my Dad buy it if he wanted a beer because it was the cheapest.
Yeah, the whole aisles full of white or yellow generics were a thing.

I bought that one can as a photo prop. I left a job under serious eff-you conditions, so I posed for a pic in a ratty lawn chair, torn t-shirt, holding that generic beer and sent it to the coworkers I still liked with the caption WISH YOU WERE HERE.

Hey, I was like, 24.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 PM

16,519 posts, read 17,570,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We've all seen them, some people are just CHEAP ! God, the drive me nuts. I have an acquaintance who I know has money from inheritances, but when he gets his wallet out , dust flies around. Whenever a bunch of us are throwing money into a pot for something, he acts like the dollar bills he has to cough up are tied to his intestines.

At one time I worked for a multi-millionaire, and when we would go to lunch occasionally, he would hardly ever pick up the check. One time I waited him out, and the check laid on the table and I refused to reach for it. He sat there squirming, and squirming, and finally he grabbed it and threw down some money. I saw he hadn't left a tip, so as he was walking out, I put down some money for the server.

I can understand being poor, but I can not understand being cheap.
Lol. I had a friend like that. We used to call him T-Rex . Eventually we started saying it to his face. We used to call him that on the account of his arms being too short to reach his wallet when the time to pay came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or