U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,947,609 times

Advertisements

I consider myself a bang for the buck type. I try to get the most quality for the lowest price. Examples of this would be buying a used 2012 Camry with the V6 engine or the road bike I bought I paid $1400 for whereas a co-worker spent $6000 for hers. You can get 80-85% of the performance for 20% of the price of going really high end on things. On the other hand, if you skimp you really lose out on quality and performance.. examples.. people who buy laptops or PC computers and spend $400 instead of $700 when the $700 would literally more than double the speed of the computer, or people who try to repair old systems using outdated processors and end up spending $250 when they could have put that money towards purchasing something modern.

The laminate I bought for the kitchen was solidly mid grade.. you don't want to skimp on quality to save 25%.

Sometimes it's nice to spend a bit more.. I have a 65 inch LG OLED 4K 3D TV I'm typing this message on now.. one thing I love is the black levels.. when the screen goes black, the room is pitch black if there's no lights on. I also kind of splurged when I built my coffee lake system and got an 8700K which I run at 4.9 GHZ. On the other hand my system before that I built in 2011 (sandy bridge 2600K) and my nephew needed a new computer anyways so I donated mine and indulged in my computer hobby. My cheapness shows by not wanting to upgrade my GTX 970 to a current generation card with the prices they are charging. I'll just play at 1440p if necessary and see what volta brings to the table.

The balk of my savings comes from being an introvert... I don't go to sports bars hardly ever, much less eat at expensive restaurants. That stuff adds up. Extrovert stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 06:21 AM

4,729 posts, read 2,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In my 70s, Ive stayed at quite a few hostels in recent years. At most of them, I met at least one other hosteler near my age, it's quite commonplace.. At all of them, I was treated with respect by the younger hostelers, and made friends easily.
The number one rule of being the creepy older guy is that you don't realize you're the creepy older guy.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Sometimes it's nice to spend a bit more
Kitchen knives are my weakness. They'll last a lifetime and really do make a difference in food prep but I would buy ones that were 95% duplicate role as my other ones. It's one of the few things I stored when we moved overseas, they are in a box in my parents' attic.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:58 PM

2,174 posts, read 800,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The number one rule of being the creepy older guy is that you don't realize you're the creepy older guy.
So you are working from definition of older guy = creepy person. Yes, I've met hostelers who seem to labor under that view.

What's the number one rule of being ignorant?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
So you are working from definition of older guy = creepy person.
Nope, I'm working from the definition of older guy in certain environments where demographics are overwhelmingly younger = can be perceived as the creepy older guy. The dormitory room of a hostel is a fine example, as is quarter beer night at the student dive bar near the college.

Quote:
What's the number one rule of being ignorant?
Not sure of #1, but last time I checked #87 was:

"someone thinking that because people were nice to them they weren't perceived as creepy"

Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM

147 posts, read 52,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I used to get customers who balked at the bids. Ok you donít like the price. Thatís fine. But when we talked you wanted all this stuff so I bid how you wanted the work. Iím not hanging that multi crystal chandelier that needs to be put together relocated mounting position and it has a 2 hr assembly time for $40. Anyway. ....
They either start trying to cut corners on the design to lower the price or expect me to cut corners. What I found out is that if I start cutting corners the job isnít to standards and in the end I get stuck trying to fix it on my dime. So I simply donít do it. Find someone else.

Some of those people come back with the ďwe have a friend who can do it for (insert some ridiculously low amount usually 1/3-1/2 of my bid) but we like you and we would rather you get the job. Yeah ok.

First of all nice of you to screw a friend over if itís true.

Second. That friend doesnít exist. Guaranteed. Youíre simply trying to get me to do 10k worth of work for 3-5k. Not gonna happen. And if anyone does those jobs (besides losing their azz) what ends up happening is those same people who ďgenerously bestowed the honor of allowing you to work in the Taj Mahal ď are the same people who will whine and cry to heaven about how youíre taking advantage and screwing them. These types are the reason I completely got out of residential service and construction. Iíll go help a friend out on something small but thatís about it. Want your house wired? Call someone.

They arenít frugal. They are simply cheap bottom of the barrel customers. And I refused to take them. I learned really fast to walk away. These same people either have no contractor who wants to work with them or the contractor canít wait to get done and put them on his black list of never work with again. If no contractor wants to work with you itís not them. Itís you.
I watched my wife in action with the contractors, she's a pay to get it done right gal.

It's amazing when we need something done HVAC guys, contractors, painters always seem to show up quickly.

She has a phone list a mile long for getting stuff done.

Summer here is hot ... HVAC went out ... everybody in town was bitching about lack of HVAC guys ... my wife's guy showed up in less than three hours... two hours later we had air conditioning again...

Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 AM

11,322 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Using the excuse of "being poor" is just a cop out for lazy people afraid of actually having to work, or make some sacrifices in their lives. Being poor is a mentality, not a death sentence that's impossible to get out of! I have no sympathy for people who do the same thing over and over again (i.e. living paycheck to paycheck and blowing every penny they earn on stupid things they don't need, or not making wise purchases) and expecting a different result!
That's the "white privilege" view of it. I used to be a libertarian with that viewpoint until I had enough life exposure to the whole socioeconomic spectrum to understand that the hand I was dealt in life is very different from the hand most poor people are dealt. If you're born poor and acquire the behavior pattern, it's really unusual to break out of it.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:21 AM

11,322 posts, read 5,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I can understand being poor, but I can not understand being cheap.
Cheap is in the eye of the beholder. I've been unemployed a couple of times in the last decade. I dramatically dial back my spending and live on 20% of my usual cash flow rather than deplete my emergency fund. People could easily observe my behavior at those times and call me cheap.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I used to be a libertarian with that viewpoint until I had enough life exposure to the whole socioeconomic spectrum to understand that the hand I was dealt in life is very different from the hand most poor people are dealt.

Libertarians are (usually white) folks who have everything they want and delusional enough to think they did it all by them lonesome selfs. First time life craps on them and they need something, their mouths get a lot smaller. Some are even known to grow a heart from the compost of their ego.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:38 AM

849 posts, read 363,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's the "white privilege" view of it. I used to be a libertarian with that viewpoint until I had enough life exposure to the whole socioeconomic spectrum to understand that the hand I was dealt in life is very different from the hand most poor people are dealt. If you're born poor and acquire the behavior pattern, it's really unusual to break out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Libertarians are (usually white) folks who have everything they want and delusional enough to think they did it all by them lonesome selfs. First time life craps on them and they need something, their mouths get a lot smaller. Some are even known to grow a heart from the compost of their ego.

Why does race have to come up in every discussion when it comes to the poor? As if it's somehow "racist" to tell poor people to accept the reality of their situation and if they want out of it, they've got to work hard and actually plan ahead, not live in the moment never thinking of the future, or being irresponsible and creating problems they'll not want to deal with later (unwanted children, etc.) Nope, the real problem is everybody hates everyone who isn't white and they're trying to keep them down! P.S. the area I live is over 95% white, and in a fairly poor area of the country, so what's this "white privilege" you speak of? Most of the white people around me don't seem very privileged.

Face it, no matter the lot you're born with in life, your living situation is up to you and you alone. You can sit back, be a victim, and blame the past, people with "privilege" or whoever else you want to put the finger at, but at the end of the day it solves NOTHING! Blaming others is just a way of defecting responsibility off of yourself i.e. "it's not my fault it's so and so's fault". Good luck getting ahead in life if you have that attitude.

Don't sit back and cry "Poor me! I was born with such a crappy lot in life!" all while doing NOTHING to change that! You'll get no sympathy from me in that case. I have much more respect for the person who tries their hardest and fails than someone who gives up without even trying! Hard work doesn't always lead to success, but being lazy NEVER does!

By the sound of your post it seems people are angry that they weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths and will actually have to WORK to be successful and get what they want from life, they were just expecting to inherit/ be handed it! I've worked hard to have what I have and get to where I am in life (and I'm by no means even CLOSE to what I want to achieve or having everything I want) and I don't feel sorry for those unwilling to do the same. You reap what you sow, so if you do nothing, you get NOTHING!

I have a heart for desperate people who've tried their hardest and still can't make ends meet, I have outright contempt for lazy people who don't try at all and want everything handed to them! You want to keep the poor poor and downtrodden so you can prop them up as "victims of society" and get all the lazy people who want to whine and complain about what they don't have on your side by offering them handouts. Haven't you ever heard of a "self made man/woman"? Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to achieve what you want out of life no matter the circumstances you were born into. There's a difference between having a heart and being an enabler, you don't seem to differentiate between the two.

P.S. The key to being prepared for "when life craps on you" is to plan for the future, not blow every penny you make and live paycheck to paycheck, and don't go around with the attitude of "it can't happen to me" because YES IT CAN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or