U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40518

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I would agree with you if these outlets peddled conspiracy theories. They do not. However I agree that all sides should tone the rhetoric down.
Oh?

Hillary Clinton Could Still Become President if Russia Probe Finds Conspiracy Evidence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Status: "delete" (set 21 days ago)
 
3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times
Reputation: 2351
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we are all individuals. its viewing people as a nation rather than a collection of individuals that causes problems.
I completely disagree with this too.

The world is evolving. The things that were available to you, to us, are no longer there anymore and will be increasingly less available in the future.

What I'm talking about is opportunity. Sure, you may have the world in your hands, and I'm sure you worked hard for what you have, but people who have no choice in being born will not have nearly the same opportunities.

You would have to be naive to believe that international competition and automation will have no affect on the future generation who is already riddled with what will amount to be impossible debt.

Do you desire to live a in a bubble society?

Do you desire to live in a society where you can't even walk on the streets without potentially getting knocked out and beaten to death because you are seen as the scapegoat?

What do you think is going to happen?

Nobody will care how hard you worked. Nobody will hear your story. Is this the world that you desire to live in?

Is this guy a lunatic???

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...isis-will-look

Here is Kolanovic's resume.

Dr. Marko Kolanovic, PhD is the Global Head of Macro Quantitative and Derivatives Strategy and Senior Analyst at JP Morgan Chase & Co, Research Division. Dr. Kolanovic is responsible for global equity derivatives and delta one strategy at the firm. Prior to joining the firm, he was Global Head of Derivatives and Quantitative Equity Strategies at Bear Stearns, where Dr. Kolanovic built and managed New York, London and Hong Kong trading strategy teams. Previously, he was a Derivatives Research Analyst at BofA Merrill Lynch, Research Division, where Dr. Kolanovic worked on equity-linked hedge fund trading strategies. His trading methods have been implemented by major hedge funds and his expertise has been used by major investment offices around the world. His work is frequently quoted in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Barron's, and others. His work is frequently quoted in financial press, and for his timely and accurate short term forecasts of stock market returns, the media dubbed him The Man who moves Markets (CNBC) and Gandalf (Bloomberg). He has developed a number of scientific theories and models, has authored top-cited research publications, and is the winner of numerous excellence awards. Dr. Kolanovic graduated from New York University with a PhD in Theoretical High-Energy Physics.

Is he credible?

Because he's asking where the $2T is going to come from in that article.

And he's saying the same thing I'm saying. He's just saying it nicely.

I'm telling you the truth. These young people are going to be mad and they are going to look for a scapegoat and that scapegoat will be us.

Do people forget history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Reputation: 7554
So Author is a has some points but seems to have stretched them to a forgone conclusion.

1) Opiod abuse. first America at various periods have always had substance abuse problems. I guess no one remembered Crack cocaine that devastated entire cities. LSD in the 60's had people jumping off bridges. Now truthfully I'm a little surprised that we are even trying to fix this crisis. when crack was a problem no one gave a hoot because it was mainly black folks. so the fact that we are paying attention to the epidemic is progress. but the real fact is that We have always had substance abuse issues.

2) Elderly. obviously this guy does not know history. Once again America has always treated it's elderly poorly. How does he think Social security came about? That started in the 30's to ensure that when people got old they would have a minimum level of care. What do you think happened to old folks prior to that? if they did not have family then they pretty much where up a creek without a paddle.

3) social/familiar fabric. It is not "breaking" it's changing. back in the 60's most families lived with 40 miles of each other. that provided a lot of support. Now it is not the case, I had 3 siblings, one is deceased. I live in the south Jersey area, my brother lives in DC, my other brother lives in Vegas and my elders are in Charleston SC and most cousins are in NYC where we grew up. WE are extremely close but jobs, spouses and other issues have moved us to various places.

Also we are living longer, living with Grandma and Grandpa back in the day may have meant having an elder for 70 years , the average life span in the 60's was 67 years old, now it's up to 80's

4) Sheer number of people. In 1860 America had about 31 million people living in rural farm type situations. In 2017 America had 310 million. lol, you've got 10X's the number of people and you still think life is going to be like 1955??


About the only thing author said IMO that Might be remotely true is the rash of school shootings. every thing else he pretty much has extrapolated into some sort of Armageddon scenario

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 01-26-2018 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:04 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I disagree. This country as well as every great nation in history as put the common good before the individual. Yes, you have individual rights that protect you for the state and which every nation state should have, but when it comes to solving and addressing problems on a national scale unity is called for, which is also referred to as patriotism.
my "problems" seem to always be solved when enterprising individuals develop stuff to make themselves money. then i voluntarily hand over my money to them because they are offering something i want.

where i see societies putting the nation above individuals, i see abuse of individuals and the downward spiral of a failing nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:08 AM
 
5,466 posts, read 2,310,732 times
Reputation: 6746
The link is to a story about a law professor who thinks that if the Russian probe is successful, Hillary can still be president. It is an opinion piece that may be wrong, but not a conspiracy theory.

A conspiracy theory is that there is a "secret society" in the FBI, or a "deep state" or wiretaps in Trump Tower, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:11 AM
 
5,466 posts, read 2,310,732 times
Reputation: 6746
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my "problems" seem to always be solved when enterprising individuals develop stuff to make themselves money. then i voluntarily hand over my money to them because they are offering something i want.

where i see societies putting the nation above individuals, i see abuse of individuals and the downward spiral of a failing nation.
I agree of the power of the individual. But when the individual has total autonomy. i.e. no rule or laws, you have anarchy. See Somalia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Reputation: 7554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The link is to a story about a law professor who thinks that if the Russian probe is successful, Hillary can still be president. It is an opinion piece that may be wrong, but not a conspiracy theory.

A conspiracy theory is that there is a "secret society" in the FBI, or a "deep state" or wiretaps in Trump Tower, etc.
wait what??? how'd we get to Hillary Clinton.

It's only page 3 and this thread is being derailed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,665 posts, read 18,211,833 times
Reputation: 11164
The bottom line is: If you don't want to live in a capitalist country, then move out of America. There is a reason that America is an exceptional country that draws people from all over the world to come here.

There are quite a few non-capitalist countries out there to choose from if you don't like the American system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:20 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,111 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Reputation: 40518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The link is to a story about a law professor who thinks that if the Russian probe is successful, Hillary can still be president. It is an opinion piece that may be wrong, but not a conspiracy theory.

A conspiracy theory is that there is a "secret society" in the FBI, or a "deep state" or wiretaps in Trump Tower, etc.
If anyone thinks that upper levels in the FBI haven't historically tried to steer things, call it a secret society or whatever, isn't paying attention. Two names: J. Edgar Hoover, Clyde Tolson.

Bugging Trump Tower. Didn't happen. But bugging campaign officials did.

Deep state. I guess that term could be used to describe the professional civil servants, especially upper level ones, who remain with any Administration change who continue to push their personal agendas.

Larry Hogan discovered that first hand when he became Governor of Maryland. The career bureaucrats in many departments refused to carry out the directives of the new Secretaries. Especially in the Department of Planning, MSDE and Natural Resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:31 AM
 
Location: NJ
22,674 posts, read 28,559,598 times
Reputation: 14611
one thing i like to do is suggest that the government shouldnt be allowed to keep secrets from Americans. then you have others defending it under the silly assumption that the government keeps secrets to keep us safe. then when i draw conclusions about bad things that the government has done, they yell at me for evidence. evidence that i would love to provide but the government keeps secrets from us! because they are evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top