U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:37 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,273,221 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a great short essay. It really describes America today. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to what this essay is talking about.

It's very sad.

https://eand.co/why-were-underestima...e-be04d9e55235
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM

17,973 posts, read 17,131,123 times
I'm not going to comment except to say that I couldn't agree more. It's been a long time coming and unless something or someone intervenes, it's not going to end well.

I have lived long enough to have observed the downward spiral and what came to mind in the article were the words of Soviet Premier Nikita Khurshchev back in the 1950s. I was just a kid but I remember him saying that they would "destroy us from within."

We are destroying ourselves from within. Not that I could stand Khrushchev, but I just found another quote by him when I was looking up the exact wording of the other quote:

The John Birch Society is Communism's greatest ally. With its help we will divide and confuse the American people until they have lost faith in their Government, their nation has ceased to be a major world power, and their country is ripe for revolution.
Nikita Khrushchev

(For those who don't remember, the John Birch Society was a radical right wing organization that prided itself on wrecking people's careers by falsely claiming that they were communists.) We don't need the John Birchers anymore, we don't need any Khrushchev either. America is coming apart at the seams and it's the extremists on both sides who are causing it. I would say that the right is more to blame than the left once again. The right wing wants the total capitalism that is described in the article, the uncaring, dog eat dog competition with no help for anyone less fortunate, that is eating away at our society.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 AM

22,670 posts, read 28,551,950 times
author is a dramaqueen nutball

Old 01-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
author is a dramaqueen nutball
I don't know anything about the author outside of that article, but what about the article did you disagree with?

I wish people would stop engaging in character assassination. Imagine as if the article was written anonymously if it helps.

It don't think it does any good to attack the author. Attack the content if you want to attack anything.

As the poster above you described very eloquently, it is truly heartbreaking.

Do you not agree?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I don't know anything about the author outside of that article, but what about the article did you disagree with?

I wish people would stop engaging in character assassination. Imagine as if the article was written anonymously if it helps.

It don't think it does any good to attack the author. Attack the content if you want to attack anything.
really its such silly drama queen stuff that its obvious the author has no credibility. there is no point in giving that article more than the few seconds it takes to see it is written by a dummy.

i googled him, he seems to like to write a lot https://umairhaque.com/

not anything i am going to read. he is some kind of "thinker." i guess that is a like a modern day philosopher or bull**** artist.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
really its such silly drama queen stuff that its obvious the author has no credibility. there is no point in giving that article more than the few seconds it takes to see it is written by a dummy.
What did the author say that wasn't true? Can you point out something specific? You're still engaging in character assassination.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:

i googled him, he seems to like to write a lot https://umairhaque.com/

not anything i am going to read. he is some kind of "thinker." i guess that is a like a modern day philosopher or bull**** artist.
Who cares who this person is.

Why does it matter?

If you didn't read it, why comment on it?

You sound like the news. That's all the news talks about. Keeping American's complacent.

Why don't you answer me where the $2T of liquidity is going to come from when central banks pull out?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What did the author say that wasn't true? Can you point out something specific? You're still engaging in character assassination.
the guy doesnt really deal in facts, he deals in his dramaqueen interpretation of facts. not that i would trust him to only use actual facts. i dont agree with his analysis and conclusions that he makes. i know you are a little hysterical about the world so you see this as confirmation of your beliefs. i dont really see it as worthy of going through and picking apart.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
the guy doesnt really deal in facts, he deals in his dramaqueen interpretation of facts. not that i would trust him to only use actual facts. i dont agree with his analysis and conclusions that he makes. i know you are a little hysterical about the world so you see this as confirmation of your beliefs. i dont really see it as worthy of going through and picking apart.
No, I am not hysterical. I am a realest. I use MATH and NUMBERS.

If you can use MATH and NUMBERS to challenge me, I will rethink my positions.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM

4,752 posts, read 1,868,004 times
I see it too. I have been in many places in this world, seen many different ways to live in many different sets of conditions. America is rotting from within. Someone said once that a nation that stands together will never fall, the group is what matters and a nation where the individual is all and everything can only fracture and disappear.

The strength in a society is in its people working together. One of the places I saw many times over many years was Russia. I saw Russia on it's knees. The Russia of today is completely different. The Russians did it because they work together as a people, they have a strong sense of history, community and identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics