U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,253 posts, read 1,553,755 times
Reputation: 3078

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Okay then, to go back to your original post... then don't revolt. Hey, I bet there's something good on cable!

(I mean, WTF? You're doing just fine, so why should anyone push back on the system?)
The OP's post as far as I can tell was only proposing to continue working within the system. Starting a business and hiring your neighbor is still going to require you to register your business, obtain licenses and permits, and insurances, pay taxes, etc. The first part of his post was gearing up towards something radical and then by the 2nd part became much more mundane.

Start a business, hire American, buy American, don't outsource. I think that's readily achievable for most able bodied, public educated people, even those that aren't interested in "The Resistance". It's really nothing new.

So I guess I'm on board with the OP. Except I don't share his perspective on the first part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
4,112 posts, read 3,404,360 times
Reputation: 5638
Awesome thread people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
2,999 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
The OP's post as far as I can tell was only proposing to continue working within the system. Starting a business and hiring your neighbor is still going to require you to register your business, obtain licenses and permits, and insurances, pay taxes, etc. The first part of his post was gearing up towards something radical and then by the 2nd part became much more mundane.
Okay. Still not completely clear where you stand on this, but that's pretty clear. And that's the problem with most online radicals: they want to COMPLETELY CHANGE THINGS... except for some parts that would benefit them.

I'm a economic radical myself... but I have a fully worked out set of theories and I know their consequences as well as their benefits. Most like the OP just pull a rant out of their... ear... because of some specific thing that just happened to them, or something they read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Boston
5,097 posts, read 1,455,542 times
Reputation: 3734
I got mine, if you don't have yours, too bad, I don't care. Carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 04:45 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,848 posts, read 57,874,473 times
Reputation: 29261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And that's the problem with most online radicals:
they want to COMPLETELY CHANGE THINGS... except for some parts that would benefit them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw


You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're doing what we can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
2,755 posts, read 1,211,909 times
Reputation: 5055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
The OP's post as far as I can tell was only proposing to continue working within the system. Starting a business and hiring your neighbor is still going to require you to register your business, obtain licenses and permits, and insurances, pay taxes, etc. The first part of his post was gearing up towards something radical and then by the 2nd part became much more mundane.

Start a business, hire American, buy American, don't outsource. I think that's readily achievable for most able bodied, public educated people, even those that aren't interested in "The Resistance". It's really nothing new.

So I guess I'm on board with the OP. Except I don't share his perspective on the first part.
But Cheesesteak...certainly you're aware that there's a giant conspiracy of the rich and powerful that are holding you down. You must know that the reason you're not further ahead is because you've been robbed.

It's all very well documented in topic after topic here on CD.

It's almost like you're naively suggesting that you could just....do what you want already. That's absurd!

<Am I showing too much yet?>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 03:11 AM
 
24,724 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Reputation: 22714
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I'm going to that socialists country France in a few months, does that count?? LMAO
Pretty much all countries are coming under the increasing tyranny of the New World Order. France is no exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 03:13 AM
 
24,724 posts, read 26,794,844 times
Reputation: 22714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I have comfortable house, a full belly, leisure time I spend how I choose, and adequate income to sustain it all. Why revolt?
Because it's not going to last much longer. You know, that thing about trading liberty for security? You end up having neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,253 posts, read 1,553,755 times
Reputation: 3078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Because it's not going to last much longer. You know, that thing about trading liberty for security? You end up having neither.
Liberty needs security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2018, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,253 posts, read 1,553,755 times
Reputation: 3078
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
But Cheesesteak...certainly you're aware that there's a giant conspiracy of the rich and powerful that are holding you down. You must know that the reason you're not further ahead is because you've been robbed.

It's all very well documented in topic after topic here on CD.

It's almost like you're naively suggesting that you could just....do what you want already. That's absurd!

<Am I showing too much yet?>
I have no doubt that the rich and powerful certainly have the scales tilted in their favor. They don't hire lobbyists, buy politicians, join business associations, employ armies of lawyers for no reason. Capitalism isn't about free markets, it's about making money first and foremost.

That being said, there's still stuff little people can do. If you want to be one of the rich and powerful you gotta start somewhere. If immigrants that barely speak english can start an run a successful business, we really do not have any excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top