U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,570,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSupport View Post
Ok, just to confirm, if I pay the statement balance of $8,500 by Feb 12th, I could leave the extra $3,000 I have put on since the closing of that statement period and pay no further interest?

Thanks!
Yes, as long as you pay your statement balance for that month you should not be billed interest.

The next $5K will be due the next billing cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM

5,975 posts, read 3,207,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just to be on the safe side, I schedule my payment about five days before the due date. That way I know it will post before the due date. If you pay on the actual due date, it might not be credited to your account until a day or two later, giving your card company the excuse to charge you interest. But I pay the statement balance just before the due date ($8500 in your case), and I don't ever pay any interest, as the remainder will be part of my next bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The better way is to schedule the payment using the credit card issuers site instead of your own banks billpay site. That way you get credit for the payment the same day. No issue with bank delay in posting the payment.

I always pay using the CC issuer's site, as I do one final check for fraudulent charges.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 AM

190 posts, read 196,568 times
I don't think anyone addressed your specific question. It is true that you do not [typically] accumulate interest on a rolling balance if you've paid off the statement balance the previous month. What I ran into and I think what you are asking is that still true if you floated a balance the previous month even if you paid off the specific statement balance. In my case the answer was 'no'--you acrrue interest on some amount of that balance that gets rolled into the next statement and I don't know if it's ever "zeroed" out to the previous situation unless you pay off the balance in full at some point. This definitely requires a call if you want to be absolutely sure how to 'reset' to the normal situation and not accrue interest on rolling balances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or