U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,108 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a very basic question, but I have never carried a balance on a credit card and I am not sure how this works.

I own a small business and a few months back things looked like they were slowing down a little more than I liked so to make sure that I had enough cash flow I did not pay off my company credit card bil like I usually do every month.

Things ended up being fine so I would like to pay it off. This is how it goes (I rounded the numbers to make it easier).

On Jan 18th the period closed and the total balance was $8,500.
Since then I have put another $2,000 on.
I will probably end up putting another $1,000 on it before I pay it.
On Feb 10th I will pay it, it is due on the 12th.

So my question is this: Can I just pay off the $8,500 and clear out any interest?

Or

Do I have to pay off every cent that is owed at that time, including the charges I made after the closing of the period on Jan 18th?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:20 PM

5,877 posts, read 3,148,828 times
As long as you pay off the statement balance on or before the due date, you will not have to pay any interest. I pay my cards online and I'm offered the option of paying the statement balance or the current balance. I normally choose the statement balance.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,108 times
Ok, just to confirm, if I pay the statement balance of $8,500 by Feb 12th, I could leave the extra $3,000 I have put on since the closing of that statement period and pay no further interest?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM

416 posts, read 171,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSupport View Post
Ok, just to confirm, if I pay the statement balance of $8,500 by Feb 12th, I could leave the extra $3,000 I have put on since the closing of that statement period and pay no further interest?

Thanks!
If you want to be 100% sure. Call the number on the back of your card and ask them. It's your $.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 PM

3,017 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
If you want to be 100% sure. Call the number on the back of your card and ask them. It's your $.
This. The amount only changes if you charge something or you reach a payment cycle end and they add on that cycle's interest.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,511,896 times
The way my credit card works is that as long as I pay off the full amount on the statement balance (whatever amount is on there at the end of the billing cycle) then I am not charged interest. I imagine this is how most credit cards work (since they're supposed to be giving you "credit" meaning they don't make you pay right away). Yet, if you pay the $8,500 and for some reason the credit card company charges you interest, don't get mad at us! This is stuff you're supposed to know about when you signed up for the credit card.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 AM

5,877 posts, read 3,148,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSupport View Post

Thanks!

Just to be on the safe side, I schedule my payment about five days before the due date. That way I know it will post before the due date. If you pay on the actual due date, it might not be credited to your account until a day or two later, giving your card company the excuse to charge you interest. But I pay the statement balance just before the due date ($8500 in your case), and I don't ever pay any interest, as the remainder will be part of my next bill.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 AM

15,172 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Call customer-service for an accurate payoff-amount.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:52 PM

2,183 posts, read 800,407 times
My statement always has two balances on it: Balance due by due date, and current balance (including recent purchases). If I pay of the balance due by due date, no interest accumulates on the amount over that called current balance.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:06 AM

9,449 posts, read 7,600,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just to be on the safe side, I schedule my payment about five days before the due date. That way I know it will post before the due date. If you pay on the actual due date, it might not be credited to your account until a day or two later, giving your card company the excuse to charge you interest. But I pay the statement balance just before the due date ($8500 in your case), and I don't ever pay any interest, as the remainder will be part of my next bill.
The better way is to schedule the payment using the credit card issuers site instead of your own banks billpay site. That way you get credit for the payment the same day. No issue with bank delay in posting the payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or