U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times

Advertisements

That’s sad. I really like my job, but yes you can always find better I suppose. Better pay, better benefits, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:18 AM

5,600 posts, read 4,204,310 times
The survey and the written opinion seem silly and worthless. I had a successful career in a field I enjoyed. As point out by many, that does not mean I ever felt I had the best imaginable job. I always was looking for more and to advance my career.

Another of the ideas in this opinion piece pushed the notion that society needs to intervene. What happened to individual freedoms? Society has no place in deciding what jobs or careers should fit an individual or should be considered as "best". The Constitution protects the rights of the individual to decide. That freedom includes the possibility of making wrong choices. Individuals do not need to work towards goals that society imposes or any goals for that matter.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 AM

13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Billionaire trust fund baby is probably the best job. If you have that the possibilities are unlimited. But for the rest of us, we slog off to work everyday because we like things like electricity and food on the table!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:06 AM

5,600 posts, read 4,204,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Billionaire trust fund baby is probably the best job. If you have that the possibilities are unlimited. But for the rest of us, we slog off to work everyday because we like things like electricity and food on the table!
Unfortunately that sounds like you are a victim of circumstances. I found it much more satisfying to take a more active role in my career and life choices. We may need to work but we can choose work activities that match our personalities, our interests and become rewarding by providing a sense of pride in our accomplishments and the contributions we make to society, to ourselves and to our families.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 PM

1,389 posts, read 544,774 times
I hate that society assumes adults have no feelings about anything. It's NOT all about the work itself at work.

Relationships matter. We are human beings with feelings. A lot of unhappiness is because we don't get along with people: cliques, passive aggressiveness, excluding others, gossiping, whispering, sabotaging, low morale caused by any/all these things.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
I'm lucky because I have TWO full time amazing jobs.

I'm in human resources for a restaurant group and and a realtor.

I love them both, work way too much, and can't wait to get out of bed in the morning!

Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only 12% of working U.S. adults say they have the "best imaginable job" for them, which tells us there is a lot of room to improve on the quality of work and workers' talent fit to jobs in the U.S.

America Has to Change How It Keeps Score on Education, Jobs
this isn't bad necessarily. It is human nature to want to do better, or it should be. One can love their job but still hope and plan for something better. Unless one is at the top of their potential or close to retirement most people look forward to the next level. Of course there will always be those who do not want to better themselves but prefer to blame others for their lack of achievement blaming others for their unhappiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics