U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:17 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,708,082 times

Advertisements

Only 12% of working U.S. adults say they have the "best imaginable job" for them, which tells us there is a lot of room to improve on the quality of work and workers' talent fit to jobs in the U.S.

America Has to Change How It Keeps Score on Education, Jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
I’m not surprised. I never thought we were a nation of people jumping out of bed in excitement every morning over going to work.

I have a job most would deem “good”. I’m well paid, work for a stable company, have great benefits, get 6 weeks vacation and work full time from home. It is a “good” job, but it’s still a job. It’s stressful and not much fun a lot of the time. I wouldn’t do it, despite it being a great talent fit, unless the pluses outweighed the minuses.

Most folks do jobs they are less than crazy about because the paycheck plus benefits make the rest of their lives much better than they’d be without it. I’ll keep doing my current job until I work my way to the one I really want: Being Retired.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 PM

4,718 posts, read 2,251,841 times
I don't think I ever had a point in my career where I couldn't imagine a better job.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
I could do my current job until I retire. I consider myself grateful to have it.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,266,139 times
Isn’t there always a better job?

And a worse one?

Maybe a bit more pay, less hours, more power, shorter commute.

I’m not sure that means the system can be better.

I mean my ideal job would be to get paid $20,000,000 to act in bad movies, but there’s only so many of those roles to go around.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,700 times
What does that even mean?

Sure, I have a great job. I’m Paid well, I have good upward mobility, I like my bosses....

But is it the “best imaginable”? No, I’d prefer to play or design video games or talk about sports all day. I’d prefer I could be paid the same and work part time and that it would be less stressful. I’d prefer if I got to work remotely all of the time. I’d prefer if HR didn’t waste my time with their ridiculous “assignments”.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Someone got paid to come up with another "real" analysis and Moriority found it.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 AM

3,716 posts, read 1,666,317 times
This tells you more about the record HS graduation rate than they want you to know:

"Enrollment in colleges and universities in the U.S. has declined for six straight years, while more than half a million current college students are in remedial education courses."

So they are faux-HS graduates, not real ones. I don't imagine it's better results for those who didn't go to college.

Every society needs garbagemen, prison guards, janitors, store clerks. These are jobs that need doing. They're permanent fixtures of the job market (in the relevant time frame). Nobody wants these jobs but they have to be done. Move up a little to accounting clerks, bureaucrats, secretaries, and these jobs aren't ideal but have to be done, too.

In short, it doesn't do any good to make "ideal" jobs that don't fulfill a task that needs doing except gratify the ambitions of their holders. I imagine everyone would like to be an artist or author or astronomer, knights in white armor, etc. But society doesn't need nearly as many of these jobs as it has of the people who would like to do them.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,386 posts, read 50,562,503 times
I think we could all imagine a job that's better, such as professional athlete, rock star or actor making millions, but for those of us that are happy with our career, it could be the best imaginable job considering our education and skills.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:05 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
My ideal job would be to paddle into a marsh every morning, hunt ducks, and fish in the afternoon, with my best friend (dog.)

The closest thing I could come up with was a hunting and fishing guide, but that's a hard life, one that ironically would leave me less time to hunt and fish.

Find a job that fits your strengths, and where you're treated with a modicum of dignity and respect by your superiors and coworkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics