U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:15 PM

3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Not for profit? Some of the best and brightest in the field will leave and most of what is left are those that donít have much of a choice.
Not for profit =/= minimum wage.

Not for profit == no stockholders and no decisions made for balance sheet considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:30 PM

437 posts, read 198,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Reinvestment and development =/= profit.

In pharma alone, the single drive is increased profits through new, patentable drugs that are often no better than the generic standbys they replace - they just generate C-level and stockholder wealth, and vast piles of it.
These are the top pharmaceutical products that are the primary drivers of profits:

Please show us as to how these are no better than generic standbys (show us the head to head clinical trials supporting your comment).

Also note patent expirations. If you do a little work, you will notice that almost all of them, with the possible exception of Prevnar, have significant generic competition in the wingsthat will soon erode almost all of these products. Harvoni has upcoming brand competition and Solvaldi has already been getting hit.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
These are the top pharmaceutical products that are the primary drivers of profits:
I see you listed them all. Points for completeness.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I see you listed them all. Points for completeness.
Here is the link.

https://igeahub.com/2017/08/08/top-2...he-world-2017/

I await your brilliant analysis.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Not for profit =/= minimum wage.

Not for profit == no stockholders and no decisions made for balance sheet considerations.
I think you have a comprehension problem. I was addressing the point you made about not for profit. The question market was questioning your position. Thus, I made the comment about the best and brightest leaving the field if that was what was instituted.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think you have a comprehension problem.
Says the guy who has missed the point on nearly every post I make, and had to back up and correct and explain his responses.

Quote:
I was addressing the point you made about not for profit. [...] Thus, I made the comment about the best and brightest leaving the field if that was what was instituted.
Got all that in one.

However, you seem to think the "best and brightest" are only there for the profits, which have nothing to do with employee compensation.

You persistently misunderstand - or maybe just misstate - the nature of "profits." A non-profit or NFP company can have very well-compensated employees and all the innovation money they can use... just not obscenely inflated C-level packages and copious stockholder rewards. The latter of which distorts and corrupts the end products no matter what they are, and should not be allowed to happen in human-service industries.

I'll restate it in simpler terms: anyone who is in a business only for the money needs to get out of it. Nowhere does this apply more definitely than the whole spectrum of healthcare. Healthcare industry investors are the very definition of being in the business of human suffering for increased profits - and they need to get out.

Which is why two investment firms and the most invasive consumer goods company on Earth need to stay the hell out.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Says the guy who has missed the point on nearly every post I make, and had to back up and correct and explain his responses.

Got all that in one.

However, you seem to think the "best and brightest" are only there for the profits, which have nothing to do with employee compensation.

You persistently misunderstand - or maybe just misstate - the nature of "profits." A non-profit or NFP company can have very well-compensated employees and all the innovation money they can use... just not obscenely inflated C-level packages and copious stockholder rewards. The latter of which distorts and corrupts the end products no matter what they are, and should not be allowed to happen in human-service industries.

I'll restate it in simpler terms: anyone who is in a business only for the money needs to get out of it. Nowhere does this apply more definitely than the whole spectrum of healthcare. Healthcare industry investors are the very definition of being in the business of human suffering for increased profits - and they need to get out.

Which is why two investment firms and the most invasive consumer goods company on Earth need to stay the hell out.
The best and brightest have the most options. They are like most people in that the larger percentage will seek out higher compensation. It is not a hard concept to understand. For profit enterprises will usually have better compensation programs, including LTI programs/equity.

By the way, you still haven’t backed up this statement:

“In pharma alone, the single drive is increased profits through new, patentable drugs that are often no better than the generic standbys they replace - they just generate C-level and stockholder wealth, and vast piles of it.”

I helped you out to the link of the top selling products. Are you unable to support your comments with facts?

Last edited by Jim1921; 01-31-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I'll restate it in simpler terms: anyone who is in a business only for the money needs to get out of it.

I hate to break it to you, but this is the primary reason people start a business. Perhaps you should move to a communist country.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,711,763 times
Quote:
healthcare should be a strictly not-for-profit endeavor.

start paying for the schooling of nurses and doctors if you want it non-profit and limit what they can earn too.

why is it that CEOs can command gazillions in pay and doctors cant?

Old 01-31-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but this is the primary reason people start a business.
RFC, Jimbo. You missed "only," which completely transforms the statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or