U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 AM

3,134 posts, read 1,228,622 times

Advertisements

The SueBs and the Sacagawea (and I assume the presidential series) are so small they can be confused with a quarter--talk about a design flaw.
I prefer to carry bills anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 548,683 times
I worked retail when Susan B Anthony came out. We did not have a space in the cash register for those. It was a problem. Think of all the vending machines and parking meters that would have to be changed. A lot of expense for a lot of people. I think we should leave it all be like it is.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 1,573,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The SueBs and the Sacagawea (and I assume the presidential series) are so small they can be confused with a quarter--talk about a design flaw.
I prefer to carry bills anyway.
That can be remedied by making them very slightly octagonal or coloring them a bit differently on the inside, that's what other countries that have moved from paper notes for small denominations have done, it works fairly well.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 AM

642 posts, read 922,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think we should start with the penny first, get rid of it, have every price end in a "0" or a "5".
I always joke around that they should take pennies out of circulation, and collect all the pennies and mold them together into a giant penny monument.

For me coins always kinda represented discarded remnants of money. Once a dollar's been busted into it's pretty much over at that point.

When I went to Europe I HATED that they had the 2 Euro coins. I'm sure I lost over $20 from change falling out of my pocket.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 10,103,609 times
I agree. Phase out the dollar bill and replace it with a dollar coin.

To make room for the dollar coin, phase out the penny AND the nickel. Make the dime the smallest denomination. The current dime is the value of a 1968 penny, and in 1968 nobody thought, "wow, we need a coin smaller in value than a penny." In fact in 1968, the penny had been the smallest denomination for a century.

Debit and credit cards are not yet universal, and may never be. Plus, there are still certain transactions like parking meters, bus fare, vending machines, where having larger value coins in hand would be a convenience rather than feeding paper into the slot.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:31 AM

13,454 posts, read 7,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think we should start with the penny first, get rid of it, have every price end in a "0" or a "5".
Adding sales tax will still be an issue.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:37 AM

30,378 posts, read 31,251,406 times
No, I prefer dollar bills over dollar coins.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 AM

1,604 posts, read 566,477 times
Of course.

And people who complain about how we would 'have to carry too much coinage' miss two things.

First... we've been there! (and, somehow, we survived). In 1950, the dollar had the purchasing power of approximately $10 in 2018 money. Which is to say, functionally their smallest unit of currency was the equivalent to our $10. Their quarter bought what two and a half dollars will now buy. Their dime was the purchasing-power-equivalent of a dollar coin in 2018. Did that turn people in 1950 into quivering masses who were unable to cope? Of course not.

Second... given the ubiquity of credit and debit cards today, and their acceptance at far more places of business, having a dollar coin (and even a five-dollar coin) would still mean we'd be far less reliant on coinage for our everyday transactions that would people in 1950. You know, the same people who somehow survived the horror of spending metal to purchase what can now be bought with several bills?

It is sheer idiocy that we use currency for one dollar in the 21st century.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 AM

190 posts, read 90,404 times
The idiocy is its been tried over and over and failed every time, but liberals won't stop until they get what they want.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 AM

17,639 posts, read 12,245,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
The idiocy is its been tried over and over and failed every time, but liberals won't stop until they get what they want.
You do understand this isnít a liberal conservative issue right? Itís about cost of keeping physical notes vs coins. The reason itís not been better adopted is because youíve had an option, if they would do away with the dollar notes you wouldnít have a choice. Plenty of other large developed countries have eliminated it and donít have an issue surviving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics