U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM

511 posts, read 195,768 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's about pleasing some special interest group? Yes, it doesn't make sense. Even worse is producing several billion pennies a year at several cents each, when they can't buy anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
A USD dollar coin would last longer and be more cost-efficient than a dollar bill, which will wear out quickly.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM

17,627 posts, read 12,224,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I take it you like coins but don't impose your wish on to the rest.

I lived in UK and hated carrying all that pound coins. Thank goodness I don't have to do that here. I need the occasional quarters for air pumps and the occasional toll booths. The paper dollars are much easier, now that I have to carry a smart phone on one pocket and a wallet with credit cards, driver's license and other assorted store cards along with paper cash. Anyway most of my transactions are in CC except for the tips in hotels and for valets where a dollar bill or two suffices.

If people really wanted dollar coins they would clamor for it. They didn't.
I donít particularly care for coins but from a durability and economic standpoint they make sense. Seems a large amount of the world makes it work so I donít think the burden would be too great

Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 PM

17,627 posts, read 12,224,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Maybe it's about pleasing some special interest group? Yes, it doesn't make sense. Even worse is producing several billion pennies a year at several cents each, when they can't buy anything.

Thatís true but has no relevance to the discussion of killing the dollar bill for a coin

Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 PM

26,911 posts, read 38,161,464 times
I'm okay with it, but lets not create yet another coin that is difficult to differentiate from a quarter.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:59 AM

8,880 posts, read 4,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
A USD dollar coin would last longer and be more cost-efficient than a dollar bill, which will wear out quickly.

What do you think?
It would kill the stripper and belly dancer industry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What happened to the Susan B Dollar coins?
I use them, the gold ones, even Eisenhowers at times. I use them at festivals to play the part of giving someone a Sovereign.

Now, there is an interesting point in that if I have a choice, I use the Susan B's or the gold ones over the Eisenhowers. Why?

Those Eisenhowers are darn heavy to carry around, especially when in costume.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:36 AM

459 posts, read 143,296 times
I would be okay with eliminating the penny and dollar note if we produce $1,000 bills. I get tired of spending so much time feeding in 100's into the slot machines in the high limit area just to do a few spins.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:26 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,117,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When there is both paper and coins, no one wants the coins. It has to be one or the other.

Canada has been using coins for years.

Hate to break it to you, but SOMEONE wants them. All the dollar coins come down here to Ecuador. They use them exclusively and much prefer them to the worn dollar bill. We each carry a nice little zipped change purse to pay buses and taxis. It really is no hassle at all. Except for having to get a load of them from the bank from time to time.

It was a switch for us, as we used CC's for everything in the U.S. Not under 30, either, LOL. But it's pretty much a cash society here....I do find that we have no need for the smaller coins, though. Since they don't tip taxis here, the drivers are thrilled to "keep the change" under a dollar....

Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 AM

3,572 posts, read 1,824,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
Ding ding ding. Jarden Zinc Products is one of the biggest suppliers of zinc coin blanks and sells the US Mint about $25 million a year worth of zinc blanks to make pennies. Further, Crane Paper Co. is the paper supplier to the Bureau of Engraving to make dollar bills again worth millions of dollars a year.

IMHO, we should eliminate the penny and round all sales up after tax to the nearest nickel and use that extra money to fund education in each state. Further, eliminate the dollar bill, replace it with the dollar coin, and bring the $2 bill back into circulation. The last item eliminates the complaint of having to carry too much change and doesn't force changes in cash register drawers.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM

9,073 posts, read 9,234,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I donít particularly care for coins but from a durability and economic standpoint they make sense. Seems a large amount of the world makes it work so I donít think the burden would be too great
The Canadian loonie was introduced 30 years ago.

The failure of the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin in the United States had been considered and it was believed Americans refused to support the coin due to its similarity to their quarter coin and its lack of esthetic appeal.

In announcing the new Canadian dollar coin, the government stated it would be the same overall size as the Susan B. Anthony coin Ė slightly larger than a quarter Ė to allow for compatibility with American manufactured vending machines, but would be eleven-sided and gold-colored.

But governments have moved beyond the idea of using a more durable coin to replace small value banknotes. Korea is planning to eliminate all coins by 2020 and replace them with electronic transfers including the type of card used by mass transit. Naturally once coins are invalid, most small denomination banknotes will not be frequently used either.

Personally, I think the time to replace the dollar bill in the US with a coin has passed. We need to follow Korea's example and encourage the use of "change cards".

Old 02-06-2018, 06:32 AM

4,739 posts, read 2,266,022 times
They should indeed phase out the dollar bill, bottom line it would save our government money in the long run. I have no idea why people in this thread are bringing politics into it.

Furthermore they should make it a two-tone coin like the Euro so it doesn't have to be large but still easy to differentiate by sight or touch. Many countries across the world use a two-tone coin for the primary denomination and it works quite well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics