U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 AM

2,207 posts, read 809,524 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the best oxymoron I've heard in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 04:42 AM

7,147 posts, read 5,956,039 times
It occurred to me as I've aged how businesses take advantage of teenagers and pay them slave wages to do grueling work that even many adults don't want to do. I suppose it's a good way to build character for the harshness of the adult world.

You're right that corporations only in the last year have had their hand forced and had to raise wages. There's no way I'd do something like over the road trucking with the **** poor wages they get today which are hardly more than what they were 15-20 years ago. The actual dollar cost per hour for trucking is so low I'm surprised people even do it. Nobody put a gun to a person's head and makes them take these low paying jobs. They could try holding out for higher wages but most people in society are out for themselves and don't think in that sort of strategic manner.

In the end people usually manage to get by. Humans are a pretty adaptable species and will get used to the circumstances in their life. They always want something better no matter what they have. I guess that's human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics