U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,496,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Husbandad View Post
Why do you choose to stay in Cali....
I believe she has indicated several reasons why in other threads too. Family, friends and a job that wouldn’t pay as well outside of the Bay area. All valid reasons to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 03:32 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Many are living paycheck to paycheck, by choice.
Maybe some, but certainly not all.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
People have been preaching this for decades.

I was doing budget counseling beginning in 1987.

Gain control of your spending. Then you can think about investing.

Most of the people who were sent to me, blew it off.

Since it was my job to preach the message, I tried to live my live by that message. I found that I was able to go from paycheck-to-paycheck, to having investments.

I have raised children.

and it is not all about low or high COL places. I have lived in both.

Easy to say, but for some people that's very difficult to achieve - and I'm referring to low-wage earners, especially those with dependents, who already have "control of their spending." We can all sit here and judge from our towers, but you really don't know what someone is dealing with until walking a mile in their shoes.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err. Roommates. Live frugally. Focus on improving yourself to increase your income. Don’t reproduce until you have the wealth and income to afford it. Even then, keep saving and investing. If you make the personal choice to reproduce before doing that, why is that our problem?
Hopefully this is a general "you," because I have no children (nor plan to have any - I'm 41). But for those who already do, and are now struggling, it's a little late for that suggestion.

And even with roommates around here, the average rent for a ROOM is well over $1000/mo. And it's not always easy to find shared housing, especially if you have kids. Again, not talking about myself, since I'm child-free and single, and finally starting to make a decent living. I have struggled over the years, though, which is why I have some empathy for those who live paycheck-to-paycheck. Also, where did I say it was anyone else's problem but theirs? We were discussing the issues some people face, and I was only saying that MOVING can be difficult for folks in this situation. To reiterate, if you're struggling to make it where you currently live, it's going to be even harder to simply pick up and move. You're talking about long-term solutions to poverty, while I'm talking about the challenges of finding a short-term solution.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then move to a low rent area. It's your choice to spend 60% of your net pay on rent.
For the last time: When someone is struggling where they currently live, it's VERY difficult to move! Do you realize how much money a long-distance move can cost? And what do they do for work once they arrive? It's easy to say "start saving," but obviously I'm referring to those who cannot save (enough) for whatever reason... and even if they could, it would take a while to build up what's needed to relocate (especially without a job already lined up). I grew up here, btw, so never really made a conscious decision to move to a high-COL area. Blame my parents for that, lol.

Quote:
You may also relocate. There's a big wide world out there. Of course, some people are just plain stupid. They think that moving from an area where there annual income is $60,000 to an area where the same job pays $45,000 is a pay cut.

In reality, it's actually a slight pay increase that will give you a slightly higher Standard of Living.
Wasn't really discussing myself here (to mention that again), but I actually AM trying to relocate - in fact I have an interview in Oregon on Thursday, and another application pending for the same city. But I've been applying and interviewing long-distance for YEARS with no luck, so it's easier said than done. And again, if you don't have a large amount in savings, it's very risky to move without first finding a job.

And yes, I realize you have to factor COL vs salary when looking to relocated. I currently earn over $80K, and the job for which I'm interviewing pays $54-65K; which sounds like a big pay cut, but in reality I'd be doing better in the long run (particularly since I'm planning to live with a friend who's already up there). I couldn't make what I do here anywhere else, at least not within my field, because we get paid according to local COL. But it's still not quite enough, which is why I'm trying to move. And being in the process of this, I can say from experience how NOT easy it is! That's all I was trying to say here.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:07 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,304,562 times
Just checked my town for kicks and giggles.

Median income $110,000

Median home price $920,000

Yikes :-O

Old 02-26-2018, 04:33 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Lower East Side, NYC:

Median Household Income : $32,903
Median Home Sale Price : $600,767

But reality sinks in, a $5m penthouse just sold down the street from me. The building isn't even completed yet.

I'll keep with my rent stabilization, **** is too out of whack.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,496,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Lower East Side, NYC:

Median Household Income : $32,903
Median Home Sale Price : $600,767

But reality sinks in, a $5m penthouse just sold down the street from me. The building isn't even completed yet.

I'll keep with my rent stabilization, **** is too out of whack.
You should have been figuring out how to buy a property (or properties) when they were a lot cheaper. It would have given you leverage against rent increases and having to worry about finding a rent controlled apt.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 AM

3,079 posts, read 2,550,259 times
What source are you all using for income and sale price?

Old 02-27-2018, 08:59 AM

1,134 posts, read 961,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You should have been figuring out how to buy a property (or properties) when they were a lot cheaper. It would have given you leverage against rent increases and having to worry about finding a rent controlled apt.
Lincoln should have never gone to the theatre.

Kennedy should have never traveled with the top down.

We should have never invaded Vietnam.

We should have known Iraq didn’t have WMD.

Thanks Captain Hindsight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or