U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:35 PM

25,805 posts, read 49,697,815 times

Advertisements

It is simple... many have no idea of just how much assistance is available and it is comprehensive.

I have had lengthy discussions with my European co-workers on the plight of America's poor... I can not speak for America but it sure has been eye opening to those I have hosted here in the SF Bay Area...

Once they get past the media hype and see first hand their views change...

Think about it... if you are so poor that the government decides your portion of rent for a $2600 single family rental is $56 but you have enough to buy a brand new car... clearly the reality is much different than portrayed.

Again... I make no claim to how things are elsewhere... and for all I know the San Francisco Bay Area is not representative.

The fact is homes are selling at a brisk pace... many were former rentals and many low income rentals.

At these prices NO ONE is buying to rent... they are all owner occupants and almost all first time home buyers...

Dual Income professionals working in tech, medical, public safety, etc can afford to buy and are buying... few have children and of the 5 homes that recently changed hands in one neighborhood only one had a child.

It is worthy repeating that as a Home Owner... there are no restrictions of what is adequate in terms of family size... as a participant in subsidized housing there most definitely is... and thus the example of the 7 in one house paying their own way and 3 in another identical home that is subsidized.

Growing up the term we kept hearing is White Flight as the cause for urban inner city decay and crime.

Fast forward to today and we keep hearing Gentrification is evil... and the root of societal problems...

By the way... the Gentrifiers come in all races and sexual orientation... but they have careers and choose not live in suburbia...

You can't have it both ways...

Derelict abandoned homes I walked past on the way to school were sold for $1 under a city program requiring 5k in improvements and owner occupancy for 5 years and then title transferred fro $1.

These abandoned homes no one wanted now sell for 350k

For reference a family of 4 can earn up to $97,000 and be eligible for city low income housing such as the new Fruitvale Phase II

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-02-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or