U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 03:49 PM

137 posts, read 59,939 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it to save credit card statements?

How should the statements be saved? As in, just printed? Save it on flash drive? Any other forms?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 05:03 PM

2,970 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Every time I have cleaned out old bills, I ended up needing a few years' worth of credit card statements and had to laboriously order them from the providers. They contain SO much information about spending and purchases and expenses.

I would keep ALL credit card statements if you can; a lifetime's worth will only fill about a banker's box. If you're set up to scan, keep a working set on your current system, and burn the set to disc from time to time.

Five years' worth would be a minimum, if you're tight on box or disc space.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM

2,154 posts, read 795,391 times
Put them on your desk, and when go on line to your card account, match them against the itemization. Or look at your monthly paper statement. If they match, throw them away. For your convenience, you might want to save a few, say for a purchase that you might want the warranty info for or may have to dispute the payment for some future reason. But for just gas and groceries, throw them away.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 2,251,841 times
Aren't they all online these days? Like at my bank I can just go to the website, pick a date for statement (within reason, I think can go back to 2011) and *poof* there it is in PDF. If wanted could just save those to a cloud drive. If worried about cloud drives save 'em to two providers cloud drives, if worried beyond that save 'em to a thumb drive once a year.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
Don't most of the CC companies retain these online records for several years? Also, since we pay most of our bills online, our bank also retains these records. Maybe I'm missing something, but, I don't see the point of saving years worth of hard copy CC statements.... (and I fall on the side of keeping excessive records for longer than necessary).

Last edited by jghorton; 02-09-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 07:56 PM

29,920 posts, read 34,517,946 times
I just download and save on my hard drive. One of my Credit cards is used for business and the records never get deleted.

My personal card I may say 4 a year and usually the EOY statement.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,289,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Every time I have cleaned out old bills, I ended up needing a few years' worth of credit card statements and had to laboriously order them from the providers. They contain SO much information about spending and purchases and expenses.

I would keep ALL credit card statements if you can; a lifetime's worth will only fill about a banker's box. If you're set up to scan, keep a working set on your current system, and burn the set to disc from time to time.

Five years' worth would be a minimum, if you're tight on box or disc space.

no way in hell would 99.99% of the population ever in a million years end up "needing a few years' worth of credit card statements and had to laboriously order them from the providers."

all that $h!ts online.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,269,902 times
I get paper credit card bills. I keep them 3 years, mostly because they are in the same folders as the other financial docs that I keep three years. In decades, I don't recall ever having to go back more than three years, and that was only 2-3 times on a warranty question on something that failed. I don't see any reason to keep them longer.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 PM

820 posts, read 274,876 times
Is this, like a joke.. or what?

I don't even save receipts, much less statements!

Online statements --> online payments.

And in over 25 yrs they've never been wrong.

But then again, I haven't made my bed in 40 years.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM

16,702 posts, read 20,456,636 times
I don't have a business, so now I just make sure my statement is correct, and i don't save it.

If I ever make purchases with warranties, and I might need proof of purchase later, I just use the receipt, and most of those get emailed to me. So, I can just search my email for the receipt of my online purchase. I also have my receipts sent to my email from places like Staples and Home Depot, etc. I hate having paper pile up that I end up having to shred. With my receipts "filed" away in email, I can always print it out if I need it, which is pretty much never.

I keep paper receipts only of things I might want to return, that I don't have an email receipt for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or