U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:30 PM

29,463 posts, read 33,710,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You forgot chapter and verse!

I always wonder, just a little, how many RLTs know their hero was a Russian-educated Jewish immigrant to the US?
My guess is all of her college educated followers. As that is part of the culture around her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
So all economic problems are individual. Gotcha.

And you got yours, and anyone can, so no problem. Gotcha again.
Quote:
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.
Ayn Rand

Old 02-10-2018, 06:54 PM

3,027 posts, read 1,028,996 times
Randites: spouting pretentious BS as justification for their own limitations since 1943.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Randites: spouting pretentious BS as justification for their own limitations since 1943.
Quote:
The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

Quote:
The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.
Ayn Rand

Old 02-10-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
How does this pretentious BS playout? I mean the Koch brothers seem to be doing pretty well. How are they limited in the context of this thread which is about 84% of stock being owned by the top 10%

Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 PM

11,383 posts, read 6,794,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
That sounds accurate to me. It's a shame that we have such disparity, but that is the system as I understand it. Intergeneration wealth inheritance, IPOs/secondary offerings, stock-buyback programs, preferred vs. common stock disparity, executive compensation programs, and socio-economic strain are major reasons for this skewed proportion of stock ownership. Their are structural issues with our society as to why there's such a great disparity, but I don't think it's useful to point them out here.
And the effects of institutional ownership (pension funds, philanthropies, colleges, hospitals, even cemeteries) also doesn't appear to have been factored in.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And the effects of institutional ownership (pension funds, philanthropies, colleges, hospitals, even cemeteries) also doesn't appear to have been factored in.
Yup and many who don't have their own individual ownership benefit from pensions that do.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM

4,014 posts, read 1,958,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/b...s-economy.html

is this stat even valid? This seems ridiculously skewed to me. I thought 50% of Americans owned some stocks and the average balance was about $100k
The article actually states that half of US household own stocks(s)

Roughly half of all households don’t have a cent invested in stocks, whether through a 401(k) account or shares in General Electric. That leaves half the population with some exposure to financial market whims, but as Mr. Boshara said, “some exposure can be 100 bucks.”

Just that on a value basis the top 10% own 85% of the value.

It goes on to point out that a 10% or 20% drop in market value has little effect on the wealth of the average American.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM

11,383 posts, read 6,794,913 times
When I finished my education back in the early Seventies, fractional-share dividend-reinvestment plans were just starting out, but I picked a couple of good ones, and kicked in a few bucks when I got the chance; some years later, I liquidated, and paid something on the order of 50% down on my house with the proceeds; it puzzles me that more young working adults aren't made aware of this option.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:45 PM

455 posts, read 311,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Everyone has what they perceive as economic problems. The point is, they are THEIR problems. You do not have the right to externalize your economic problems to others. If you want stocks, get your azz in gear, work, save up some dough, and buy yourself some stocks. It's not that hard. Many stocks are $3/share. Anyone can afford a stock portfolio. Unless they make stupid choices, do things out of order, have kids without spouses and/or money, snort heroin, abuse alcohol, evade reality and choose inappropriate and unattainable goals, etc.
Or are disabled through no fault of their own, are born with or acquire a physical or mental disease that affects their ability to be perfect like all the rich people, are victims of crime or of unscrupulous people or the greedy and psychopathic who systematically target the afflicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or