Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM

797 posts, read 751,985 times

Advertisements

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 01:31 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much tax would you like a minimum wage earner to pay?

If a MW earner is a janitor, why should they have to pay for overpaid government janitors paid 5x as much? The MW janitor did not choose to overpay government janitors.
I would like everyone to pay the same percentage of their income, regardless of their income. That would be substantially higher than 3%. I know that that will never occur, because our law making bodies have decided that having people differing shares of their income as tax is somehow fair. So, I agree with UNC4me - we pay whatever the law requires, no more no less.

If other janitors earn more, than get a job as one of those others janitors.

If you spent the time you spend posting here trying to improve your work skills or further educate yourself so you can earn more and/or working at another job to increase your income, then you would have more money. But I know it's easier to spend your time whining on an internet board about how life is unfair.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I would like everyone to pay the same percentage of their income, regardless of their income. That would be substantially higher than 3%. I know that that will never occur, because our law making bodies have decided that having people differing shares of their income as tax is somehow fair. So, I agree with UNC4me - we pay whatever the law requires, no more no less.

If you spent the time you spend posting here trying to improve your work skills or further educate yourself so you can earn more and/or working at another job to increase your income, then you would have more money. But I know it's easier to spend your time whining on an internet board about how life is unfair.

I always have to laugh when people point out how "unfair" the US tax system is while simultaneously pointing out countries in Scandinavia as shining examples of how we should be. Hmmmm...... do they get that those countries have regressive not progressive taxes? If we really went to a Scandinavian tax model the people who would be most shocked are those who are currently paying little to no tax when suddenly their tax rate was closer to that of those who now pay the lion's share in the US. I cannot even image how loud their cries of UNFAIR would be if that happened.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:24 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Here's the thing. If you know about something and see that it is better or gives you an advantage, why complain about it? Go out and get it for yourself. If you don't, then stop complaining.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
This reminds me of another thread where I stated that this is like watching a tennis match where there is no ball in play.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

The government janitor gets 3x my wage plus the equivalent of 2x my wage in benefits, but pays tax only on 3x.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
The government janitor gets 3x my wage plus the equivalent of 2x my wage in benefits, but pays tax only on 3x.
Sounds like you should be trying to get that government janitorial job.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
You've got a crappy job. Perhaps you should spend as much bettering yourself as you do whining on City Data - and I'd guess you're doing the same on Facebook and other forums.

On the bright side you are entertaining all of us. Thank you.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:49 AM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
you should have been at the least , a janitor -easy answer . doormen make a lot of money here in nyc . waiters at better restaurants make over 1k a week .

these relatively unskilled people found a way rather than an excuse .

Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
For 2017:
The $468 number comes from:

Childless Individual, not over age 65 or blind, with no other income, or dependents, or credits, etc

$8/hr x 40 hrs x 52 weeks = $ 16640 annual

16640 W-2 wages
- 7900 std deduc
- 4050 exemption
= 4690 taxable income

Per 2017 IRS Tax Table, filing Single, tax on "4650 to 4700" is $468, which is 10% bracket re taxable income, or 2.8% of gross wages.

Not eligible for EIC as income is over S15,010
Of course, min wage varies with state. At the $7.25 fed rate the income would drop to $15080 and tax would be $313.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics