Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Was wondering the REAL REASON the $2 BILL was discontinued. I have a THEORY but don't quite know how to say it on the FORUM without being BANISHED. I am aware of the NEW cash registers today will not accept any more bills. They were of course made AFTER the $2 BILL was discontinued. Any SMART people out there with an answer??? Stefhen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Behold the power of Google.

I am so banished.

Paper Money Guide - United States Currency Collector Resource

2.5 Why did the Treasury Department remove the $2 bill from circulation?

Contrary to the impression of many people, the Treasury Department did not stop circulating the $2 bill. On September 12, 1996, Robert E. Rubin, the 70th Secretary of the Treasury, was presented with a new series $2 bill. The Series 1995 notes were printed at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's (BEP) Western Currency Facility and bear the seal of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.

The $2 bill remains one of our circulating currency denominations. According to BEP statistics, 590,720,000 Series 1976 $2 bills were printed and as of February 28, 1999, there was $1,166,091,458 worth of $2 bills in circulation worldwide.

The key for successfully circulating the two-dollar bill is for retailers to use them just like any other denomination in their daily operations. In addition, most commercial banks will readily supply their retail customers with these bills if their customers request them in sufficient volume to justify stocking them in their vaults. However, neither the Treasury Department nor the Federal Reserve System can force the distribution or use of any denomination of currency on banks, businesses or individuals.

Historical Timeline - 1900 through 2003

April 13, 1976 - The two-dollar bill was reissued as part of the Bicentennial. Jefferson remained on the face of the bill, but the back now featured the signing of the Declaration of Independence instead of Monticello. Contrary to popular belief, the two-dollar bill is still printed and in circulation. The most recent series of two-dollar bill is from 2003.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:41 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Yes the two dollar bill is still in circulation. The reason it is not popular, so I've been told, is that it is associated with bad luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Bad luck, in that some customers will not accept them as change. More importantly, they tend to confuse cashiers. Every other denomination is somehow based on fives.
Penny = 1, Nickel = 5, Dime = 10, Quarter = 25, half dollar = 50, and so on, with single, fiver, ten, twenty, fifty, C-note.

We have no tuppence or other odd denomination. Hence, people aren't used to thinking "two twos and a dollar make a five" The killer, however, is that the most any two dollar bill will save in space is a single dollar. Pay with a fiver for a dollar item and get two twos or four singles. Big deal. In that worst case scenario, you get stuck with with two extra bits of paper in your wallet. Nobody, in my years of dealing with the public, ever complained about this.

There is no point for a merchant cluttering up the cash order to a bank, and removing the use of the junk slot in the cash drawer, to save the space of an extra pack or two of dollar bills. The challenge denominations are generally fives and tens. Twenties come out the ying-yang, dollars can be harvested from customers with a sign saying "we are low on dollars", but fives and tens have a way of disappearing into wallets and purses.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:46 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Many believe that the United States two-dollar bill brings bad luck. Gamblers sometimes call it a "deuce", a term for two which also means "devil. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstition -

Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
I think they NEVER caught on because PEOPLE weren't USING them. The OP reminds me OF the scene in AUSTIN POWERS where he is THAWED and LOSES the ability to CONTROL the VOLUME OF HIS VOICE.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I went to a strip club once where all change was given in $2 bills. No $1 bills in sight. It was like a micro-currency zone. And of course it was brilliant as it doubled the dancers tips.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 PM

76 posts, read 262,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I went to a strip club once where all change was given in $2 bills. No $1 bills in sight. It was like a micro-currency zone. And of course it was brilliant as it doubled the dancers tips.
There ya go, want to see more two dollar bills? Just hit up the booty shack!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
I always wondered where they had all gone.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:54 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That IS brilliant. I bet if waiters/waitresses started doing this, they'd increase their tips also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics