U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

364 posts, read 195,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Like when I accurately predicted the top of the stock market?
@Jobster, Which specific stock market, and when did you accurately predict what you perceive(d) to be a market top? How's that working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is how Jobster predictions go, these two posts came within 48 hours of each other:
Quote:
Chinese 10 year and Gold will be the stars of 2018. Take that to the bank
Quote:
I can't recommend Chinese bonds anymore. I don't believe the A+ rating. Capital outflows suggest the Chinese may devalue their currency again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Then whatever happens with Chinese bonds he'll be in here crowing that he predicted it.
Imagine that, not believing A+ ratings for Chinese bonds. On the other hand, Jobster inexplicably contends he derives accurate correlations between CNY capital outflows and performance of Chinese debt. Whoa Nellie, this guy's insights must be good. Better pay attention; could be fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 AM

64,564 posts, read 66,100,109 times
I prefer vegas and at least get a show and dinner

Old 02-18-2018, 11:21 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if it has a negative connotation up it goes . i almost ready for ignore . enough is enough with this crap every day. it ends up just being a waste of time even reading this stuff
I can't like your post anymore. lol I have to spread the cheer around.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:27 AM

2,280 posts, read 1,036,462 times
Quote:
As all of you should know, consumer credit card debt is at an all time high, personal savings rate is at 2007 levels, student loans and auto loans are at all time highs, and the S&P/Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index is at the highest level in history.

So what are your banking buddies doin about it???

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...l-fed-s-impact

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-of-next-year

https://www.housingwire.com/articles...quity-business

https://www.housingwire.com/articles...-what-happened

Yeah, that's right. They sold it all. Why? So they can come right back in and buy up properties for fractions of the price.

Just watch.

The bankers are your friends.
Hey Jobster,

I'm trying to figure out what the grip is?? none of the links you posted offered any earth shattering information that hasn't happened before.

Mortgage apps always fall off when interest rates rise. It's actually one of the market techniques that realtors often use to induce folks to buy. "interest rates are going up so better get pre approved". yada yada yada.

also banks selling off their mortgage servicing divisions is also nothing new.

so I quess my question is what are you trying to say outside of business is pretty routine?

And the last story on Fannie and Freddie mae, seemed to be more of an accounting problem more than any sort of solvency issues. because of the new tax plan, evidently some items on the budget sheet were no longer permitted. the article even said as much

"On the plus side, it appears that Fannie’s need for funding was not caused by poor business performance. In fact, the draw could have been even worse."

I don't know how fannie and freddie work as I've always had conventional mortgages so maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:26 PM

1,536 posts, read 846,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
in the investing forum the thing that is stressed is that the key to being a successful investor is time in the markets , not timing them . timing them can add a bit of alpha if you get things right but even if you didn't you would be fine over the long term no matter what conditions were when you bought in .

i did the bulk of my early investing at the worst possible time , the highs before the 1987 crash .

even if i waited assuming i could predict things and bought in at the low of 1735 on the dow , do you really think it matters today at 25-27,000 ?

of course not and that included the lost decade for stocks and a crappy 15 year period . .

so all this preaching of negativity does is have newbees ready to invest or on the fence second guess doing it .

the reality is in my 30 years of investing i can tell you there was never a point where you can say okay all clear , invest now . i remember getting my gold bug newsletter in the 1980's calling for total collapse of the dollar and equity markets . gold and silver were going to the stars .

well how did that pan out ? not very well . the same is true for every single time frame , including the one the great depression was part of . at the end of the day you would have done well jumping in at any point in time and just looking again decades later when it was time for that money to be needed .

every year there are loads of reasons why not to invest , there is always some crises ready to spring . if you believed your own bull it just made you a lot poorer .

you have those so afraid of losing money they preach equities are gambling , yet the math shows cash instruments in retirement are the riskiest asset because they failed to even last through more than half the 30 year periods we already had unless you take a substantial pay cut from what you could have drawn using even 40% equities .

most talk about how they can't afford to drop in the down turns , yet even at the lows the balance left is higher than they would have by not investing .

yet they argue and argue and try to make a case for their behavior . some things just have no logic to them .
Yep, and I am constantly reminded by the chronic bears, that a broken clock gives the correct time twice per day.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
My brother is writing his first book: How I Turned 1.4 MILLION IN CASH INTO 100. dollars in Real Estate. During that time, Mariachi bands and babysitters turned houses into millions. When you get economic setups like this, you can take advantage of it yourself IF you set yourself up properly ahead of time to do so. And then sell before the smackdown.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,030,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Seriously.. did you read or look at the article?
Plus, who says it is TRUE??
If I have a monthly income of $14000 what is wrong with spending $7000 on housing?
To each their own but I think it's rather foolish. That's 50% of your income going towards something you're paying interest to the banks on. $7000 = a TON of money for them and they love this type of thinking.

These are the same people that go into massive debt for a lifestyle and then complain they don't have any money. I make enough to qualify for a 300K house but I rent a modest apartment at $850 a month. A lot of people don't get that. The apartment provides me with all that I need, I don't need some 4000 square foot place in the burbs to heat, furnish and pay property taxes on, especially in a turbulent market. It would sit there as wasted space and be nothing but a pointless "status symbol" to show my family and source of headaches and stress.

There will be another crash like in 2007-08 because the rules for the banks haven't really changed. And when it does, there will again be another round of morons who overbought getting foreclosed on, crying about how terrible it is. When they bought more than they should have, more than they ever needed, and had priorities that were shortsighted, self-centered, and idiotic. And I will again absolutely blame the banks, because many of loans should never have been approved for these people in the first place.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 PM

6,997 posts, read 6,632,415 times
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on monthly housing and mortgage figures in winter because of the low seasonal volume and the wild swings in seasonal adjustment. Same with employment. It doesn't matter whether you're bullish or bearish.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM

26,888 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Another thread where it's like watching a tennis match where there is no ball in play.

OTOH that guy's a real nutjobster.

Oh, oh, oh! I got some stars! Do I get to crow about them? Are they important enough I should actually give a crap? No, no they are not.

Y'all realize that the best thing every one of you can do is never post in his/her threads, right?

STOP!!

Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 AM

64,564 posts, read 66,100,109 times
He has not posted again in a day which is rare . Perhaps his being called on the carpet here by others who got tired of his negativity and the nonsense he posted day after day made him rethink what he was doing .

When someone can' t or won't prove any street cred by demonstrating they can make money being so negative all the time I give them very little street credibility . Like a hard core rapper who plays the tough guy but can't or won't document his gang affiliation or that he did time.

Time and time again those who are always spewing how bad things are and never demonstrate their ability to play the cards likely never find or found a good time to invest and so they have no proven record of getting anything right . There is no reason if challenged anyone of us would likely not post a nameless statement documenting their success . I know
I have been challenged and had no reservations proving it .

You either talk the talk and walk the walk or bs walks .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or