U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM

7,041 posts, read 3,698,941 times

Advertisements

Rule 1 - ending lease term at end of month - seems pretty standard.

Rule 2 - beginning lease term only at beginning of month - is non-existent in my experience. Well, technically the term may start on the 1st but you can move in earlier and pay daily pro-rated. It takes most places about 3-7 days to make ready. It may be hard to find something after the 1st but before the 15th because they prefer to work on them all at once, i.e. do all the carpet cleaning on the vacants one week, all the painting the next week, etc. In my experience, they will finish one up sooner if you'll take it when ready. It makes no financial sense to let a ready unit sit vacant 10 days if they could be collecting 10 days' rent on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 PM

588 posts, read 259,574 times
No. You get what you can get.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
  1. If you stay one day beyond the 1st of the new month, you now owe the entire rent for the whole month.
  2. You cannot start a new lease until the first of the month.
Never heard of nor encountered that, though I am sure they exist.

Quote:
Toward the end of my career, I was seeing more and more of those two rules. Taken separately, they are fairly innocuous. But when you think of it, along with some other rules like "you must have the carpet "professionally" cleaned; I think people are getting ripped off.
I have seen the professional clean one for decades, but frankly, I have seen/heard this getting abused only in the last few years, story is basically even though it was professionally cleaned, it was not "good enough" so another professional clean, and a convenience charge added.

Quote:
  • If you cannot move into the new place until the first, then you have no place to move your stuff until the new apartment is ready on the 1st.
  • Since you have no place to put your stuff, you cannot move out of your current apartment until sometime after your furniture is gone.
  • You also cannot professionally clean the carpet until the furniture is gone.
Again, never encountered nor heard of the move in only on the 1st thing. I am sure it exists, but probably is not as prevalent as you think, unless it is some local thing where you live. The cleaning usually is scheduled right after you move out, like the next day.

Quote:
This means there pretty much must be a overlap of leases, that if every apartment complex adopts these rules, for at least 1 month you are paying rent at two places. Now there are some who could get their places cleaned before-hand, then shuffle the furniture around to have the carpet cleaned, and also load the truck and move overnight - but I would think they are rare - especially if you are moving further than across town.

As I said, these were the rules I was seeing more and more about 4 years ago, this was especially true in places like Charlotte around the University and I would guess it is the same in other towns.

Question is, have you seen these rules getting tighter? Or have most places eased off?
If there are issues, I am guessing they are at managed complexes and it places with very low availability?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 AM

9,089 posts, read 3,914,158 times
I've never had any problem with the move-out and move-in situation. The last time I went from one rental condo to another I moved out the 3rd week of the month so I had time to clean thoroughly once all my stuff was out and I moved into the new place the same time with a prorated rent. I had to pay for the upcoming month plus the few extra days of the current month but it was worth those few extra days not to be stressing about the move.

When I saw the title of this thread I assumed you were talking about how high the rents have jumped just about everywhere. The local news was saying recently that SW Florida has had the highest rent increases of anyplace in the country. Even the 40 year old apartments are charging almost the same as the brand new places that have all kinds of amenities. It would be almost impossible for a single person to rent a 1 bedroom unless they were making about $5K a month. Either that or live in a sketchy neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,183,151 times
I see where you're coming from. That said, I will also say that the rental market got tight this last decade or so. Landlords could get away with more.

The flip side of this that I'm seeing from corporate PM's is a relaxing of pet policies and security deposit requirements. Around here, its very common for an applicant with good credit to either pay a one-time fee in lieu of the deposit (under $150), or have a well discounted deposit (compared to what I saw in my first days as a renter ten years ago or so.) My last place had a $250 total deposits, and $50 was a non-refundable carpet cleaning fee (which I got back since they demo'd the building.)

Actually, the one time fee thing made a lot of sense. Renters weren't out of pocket for a significant time period with their deposit, and it set the expectations as such that there wasn't a lot of sour grapes over the $50 mini blind or stain where the couch rubbed against the wall.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
We have owned our home for over 7 years so this may not apply, although I think it will.

We had lived at on place from 2000 till 2005 and ended up cleaning the place before we left. The apartment looked nice. We were still billed for professional cleaning. They gave us a final inspection with the cost of things that they did after we left. We only had a $300 deposit and only got part of if back.

The last place we lived, from 2005 till 2010, we found from friends that left, you could pay all you want to have the carpet cleaned, you could clean it yourself. The management company still had it cleaned and took that out of your deposit.

When we left we did a basic clean up and figured our deposit was part of the cost of living there.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM

588 posts, read 311,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have owned our home for over 7 years so this may not apply, although I think it will.

We had lived at on place from 2000 till 2005 and ended up cleaning the place before we left. The apartment looked nice. We were still billed for professional cleaning. They gave us a final inspection with the cost of things that they did after we left. We only had a $300 deposit and only got part of if back.

The last place we lived, from 2005 till 2010, we found from friends that left, you could pay all you want to have the carpet cleaned, you could clean it yourself. The management company still had it cleaned and took that out of your deposit.

When we left we did a basic clean up and figured our deposit was part of the cost of living there.
I have a non refundable pet deposit of $300.

I know I won't get that back.

I have a $300 refundable damage deposit that I also know I will not get back.

Why....because the lease states in minute detail each and everything that will be charged for upon leaving if it does not meet their standards. We are not talking about huge holes in the walls etc.

No, I did not rent there when this lease was in place. I rented to a one owner person who had a waiting list to get in and who sold the place to a large corp. The new lease is about as cover your ass for the landlord as you can get. The only reason I did not move when my lease was up was because it would have cost me that deposit and moving charges, plus a new deposit to the next place.

Now it has been two years and the place is half empty. What people they are renting too are so suspect and they do not keep their apartments clean, the patios are being used as storage units, and those that smoke throw their buts on the grass. Did I mention poop?

You cannot get a one bedroom in this area because they are all rented but here at this place they lay empty. Why...the rating systems on the WEB tell a very cautionary tale.

It really is true. People vote with their feet. And what goes around comes around.

I will be moving. There goes another one. Even if it does cost me up to $2000 to do it. I have custom made Amish furniture so storing it in a UHaul is not going to work. I need professionals that know what they are doing.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM

2,154 posts, read 792,913 times
What is increasingly happening is uniformity of leases. In Texas, virtually every apartment complex is a member of the Texas Apartment Association, whose standard lease is about 20 legal size pages long in fine print. What's in the standard industry lease is what you get, take or leave it. No shopping around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics