U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:12 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,671,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Cops/fireman (in Illinois) can't draw until 50 (unless they claim disability which many many do), but sure they can pull the plug at 40 and wait till 50 to draw. There is nothing close se to a police/fire pension. Not just on how early this hey can draw, but the % is much higher with less years of service, no reduction when the pensioner or there spouse dies, it stays the same, disability is HUGE, it's amazing how much they get hurt. Yet it's no where near the dangerous job that the trade unions do.
I know. They had one cop go out on disability that they spotted in the NY marathon.

Cop and firman pensions are based on the final 3 years of salary. Total salary, including OT. OT is handed out by seniority. So cops in their last 3 years work 80 weeks to boost their pensions which can be much more than their salary. 6 figure pensions are not unusual.

I respect the work cops and firemen do. I wish they just wouldn't charge an arm and leg for doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:40 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,589,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You're confused, that has nothing to do with a union, the only time 'union' is mentioned is a statement that the union didn't support the new background check policy. Grounds for employee termination are usually covered in civil service commission rules. I don't see that a serious effort was even made to fire him. He was demoted and transferred and the personnel board affirmed that action https://prb.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...MO-01-0007.pdf
You're either ignorant or disingenuous. Disciplinary rules ARE covered in the union CBA. Here is another example of a teacher from Lake Stevens, WA, who was accused of numerous instances of inappropriate sexual contact w/ students.
Resigned Lake Stevens teacher accused of repeated misconduct | HeraldNet.com

He was never fired, but eventually resigned many scrapes w/ school authorities. But he resigned mid-year, yet was allowed to collect his full salary for the year.
Dori: Lake Stevens teacher given 5 month vacation for being creepy

I happened to hear the district spokesperson interviewed about the case. She said that she was mortified about it, but the district's hands were tied by the CBA.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM

3,713 posts, read 1,262,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Cops/fireman (in Illinois) can't draw until 50 (unless they claim disability which many many do), but sure they can pull the plug at 40 and wait till 50 to draw. There is nothing close se to a police/fire pension. Not just on how early this hey can draw, but the % is much higher with less years of service, no reduction when the pensioner or there spouse dies, it stays the same, disability is HUGE, it's amazing how much they get hurt. Yet it's no where near the dangerous job that the trade unions do.

More taxi drivers get murdered than cops.
Are taxi drivers heroes?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I know. They had one cop go out on disability that they spotted in the NY marathon.

Cop and firman pensions are based on the final 3 years of salary. Total salary, including OT. OT is handed out by seniority. So cops in their last 3 years work 80 weeks to boost their pensions which can be much more than their salary. 6 figure pensions are not unusual.

I respect the work cops and firemen do. I wish they just wouldn't charge an arm and leg for doing it.
And btw, those disability pensions are tax-free, unlike a normal pension. Here's a piece from a couple years ago reporting that 75% of NYFD, and 33% of NYPD, took disability pensions.
http://www.silive.com/news/2015/08/f...d_pension.html

I can't really bring myself to respect an outfit that does this. It's scamming, and theft from the taxpayer. If they want my respect, the good cops need to get together and boot out the 'few bad apples' that we always hear about.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
And btw, those disability pensions are tax-free, unlike a normal pension. Here's a piece from a couple years ago reporting that 75% of NYFD, and 33% of NYPD, took disability pensions.
FDNY, NYPD disability pensions: High number draws scrutiny | SILive.com

I can't really bring myself to respect an outfit that does this. It's scamming, and theft from the taxpayer. If they want my respect, the good cops need to get together and boot out the 'few bad apples' that we always hear about.
They have a culture or silence that would make the Mafia blush. Their antics around here get way out of hand sometimes. But they are 100% protected. They can get away with anything and they know it, so they do.

This is what happens when inmates run the jails, employees run the shop, teachers run the schools, etc. When those who need watching do the watching instead.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM

692 posts, read 318,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
More taxi drivers get murdered than cops.
Are taxi drivers heroes?
Exactly, many professions are more dangerous than police and fire, they just don't have the PR money to popularize it.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
They have a culture or silence that would make the Mafia blush. Their antics around here get way out of hand sometimes. But they are 100% protected. They can get away with anything and they know it, so they do.

This is what happens when inmates run the jails, employees run the shop, teachers run the schools, etc. When those who need watching do the watching instead.
Agreed. I am conservative--one of these days I'm going to post a thread about the misguided love affair many conservatives have w/ law enforcement.

I notice that none of the (weak) police/public union defenders have returned to continue their defense in this thread.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:56 PM

27,230 posts, read 11,375,700 times
Quote:

or maybe when a sheriff runs the jail?

A sheriff in Alabama took home as personal profit more than $750,000 that was budgeted to feed jail inmates ó and then purchased a $740,000 beach house, a reporter at The Birmingham News found.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM

And it was legal!

People who think the public sector is a repository of virtue better think again. It's home to as many bad apples as business is. The difference is that the public sector protects them better.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:08 PM

7,894 posts, read 12,150,879 times
Quote:
Yes and no. Teachers have more muscle because they're far more of them. But I agree with the pension stuff.

We actually get to pay for 3 times as many cops as are working. A cop works 20 years then retires for 40, all on the payroll (pensions come from pension fund, but the money put in is from us and could be in our pensions).

The double dipping is rampant at the higher levels. They even make big jobs in some cases for guys they really like.

One other thing about teacher pensions. My wife was an aide. A friend of hers, a kindergarten teacher, made +- $100,000 a year. Her pension was about the same. Plus, free medical for life (except $10 deductible). This was around 2002 or so. Pretty nice.
If thatís true itís not anywhere near the norm, not in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics