U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,627,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
The rich already pay way more than their fair share of taxes and that will continue with Trump's new tax policy. Military spending is less than half of what it was 50 years ago as a percentage of GDP. Which useless war do you want to stop funding?

Let me know when you want to talk about the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who are able-bodied, do not work, and continue to rely on the government (read: taxpayers).
Lol, that's cute!

The rich pay more taxes because THEY HAVE MORE THAT NEEDS PROTECTED by government, and the means to amass that wealth also uses far more public resources and infrastructure than an average citizen.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM

3,036 posts, read 1,034,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
We don't need more laws, we need to do a better job of enforcing the ones we already have.
How about an audit to see who's on it and if they are still eligible to be on it.
I have often wondered how many death certificates were never sent in because a family didn't want to lose their benefits.
Public benefits fraud is into the negligible range, as a percentage of costs. The rare headline case does not change this.

The idea that most recipients are scam artists is self-serving BS from the have-a-little crowd.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:46 PM

7,655 posts, read 5,411,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Lol. Timing isn't the problem with any budget. Lol as LE mentioned it's what to cut. I'll admit as a senior I get ornery when they even hint at social security or Medicare cuts
Social Security is not an "Entitlement" WE WORKED ND PAID FOR S.S.

It really burns my ass when they start calling it and "Entitlement."

Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,381,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you have a point there if "type" is considered as having 20 top lawyers and tax attorneys studying every cent of your income.
No, that’s not it.

Quote:
However, it is somewhat disingenuous in context - as you seemed to be saying that the "the rich" pay the same as everyone else. No. A newly rich person (lottery winner, etc. or even started a biz and made the big bucks) pays a LOT more taxes than a long term wealthy person who figured out (or his professionals figured out) all the loopholes.
There is nothing disengenous whatsoever with my post.

I didn’t say that the rich pay the same as everyone else - don’t put words in my mouth.

Since you seemed to have missed it the first time, here it is again.
Quote:
Everyone pays the same rate on the same type and quantity of income.
Quote:
Semantics, I guess. There is a very good reason Trump won't release his returns from the last 10 years. Probably multiple reasons. Also, if you take the money that he gave to the Mormons out, Romney paid as low as 13.6% on tens of millions of income.

I don't think you or I would get that deal....even with the same type.
Actually, we would get the same deal, on the same quantity and type of income.

Quote:
The point stands IF the point is that the system gives the rich more loopholes, tricks, tax breaks, etc. than it gives even the regular working wealthy (a surgeon).
That “point” doesn’t stand at all as it is simply untrue. The actual, correct point is that every provision of the tax code is available to all. To claim otherwise is simply ignorance.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Lol, that's cute!

The rich pay more taxes because THEY HAVE MORE THAT NEEDS PROTECTED by government, and the means to amass that wealth also uses far more public resources and infrastructure than an average citizen.
Go ahead and post up the statistics that support your contentions. This should be interesting.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 8,353,181 times
Why now and not when the Dcats have the POTUS position?

Old 03-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Social Security is not an "Entitlement" WE WORKED ND PAID FOR S.S.

It really burns my ass when they start calling it and "Entitlement."
See preceding 289 posts. You paid for insurance premiums, not investments.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Go ahead and post up the statistics that support your contentions. This should be interesting.
RR's first contention is arguable nonsense; it's hard to assign government costs to "protecting" more assets etc.

But the second is spot-on. Wealth does not come from nowhere, and exceptional wealth is not solely the product of the owner's sweat. Wealth past a certain minimal point is an extraction from society and the nation (and the planet) as a whole; paying taxes on its value is not unreasonable.

Except to Haves, who always insist they hand-carved every penny from a copper meteorite that fell in their back yard. Or some such.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
RR's first contention is arguable nonsense; it's hard to assign government costs to "protecting" more assets etc.

But the second is spot-on. Wealth does not come from nowhere, and exceptional wealth is not solely the product of the owner's sweat. Wealth past a certain minimal point is an extraction from society and the nation (and the planet) as a whole; paying taxes on its value is not unreasonable.

Except to Haves, who always insist they hand-carved every penny from a copper meteorite that fell in their back yard. Or some such.
John starts a landscaping business, and in a few years builds it up to where he employs 50 people, and he now makes enough that is certainly considered a member of the “evil rich.” Tell us all about how his “means to amass that wealth also uses far more public resources and infrastructure than an average citizen.”

Old 03-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
John starts a landscaping business, and in a few years builds it up to where he employs 50 people, and he now makes enough that is certainly considered a member of the “evil rich.” Tell us all about how his “means to amass that wealth also uses far more public resources and infrastructure than an average citizen.”
Everything that went into his being able to do the services he does, use the products he does and amass the clients he has. He "used more" to get to his position; I disagree with the mindset that says he owes nothing further as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or