U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 10:57 AM

5,253 posts, read 2,401,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyandmisty View Post
not to mention the food truck driver from outside the fed.
Lol!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 AM

3,218 posts, read 1,094,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Once again for those who missed it the first time. . .
That would be Bob T. Strawman?

Really, I respect most of what you write here and accept that you're not going to take this (interwebz strawman) very seriously.

But this kind of uber-toady-of-the-Haves pretzel logic, made with real, non-GMO straw, is just horsesh*t. And not a small part of why I see the imminent demise of by-the-wealthy, for-the-wealthy, save-the-wealthy econ theory. Not because "I/We don't like it" - because it's at the point of irrelevance and obsolescence in the face of global reality.

It's 1860 all over again.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That would be Bob T. Strawman?

Really, I respect most of what you write here and accept that you're not going to take this (interwebz strawman) very seriously.

But this kind of uber-toady-of-the-Haves pretzel logic, made with real, non-GMO straw, is just horsesh*t. And not a small part of why I see the imminent demise of by-the-wealthy, for-the-wealthy, save-the-wealthy econ theory. Not because "I/We don't like it" - because it's at the point of irrelevance and obsolescence in the face of global reality.

It's 1860 all over again.
Straw Man? Absolutely not. It is the absolute reality of much minimum wage employment.

But by all means, if you disagree, explain how the analysis is wrong.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
But by all means, if you disagree, explain how the analysis is wrong.
Setting the Haves boogeyman of a useless 24yo turd who is 'better off' being coddled by WalMart than living on the public dole.

Do such Bobs exist? Sure. Does your fine wicker man represent a majority of minimum wage workers? Almost certainly not. But it leaves a nice puddle of drool in front of the Havsie throne, doesn't it?

Great example, though, of what you and your mostly lesser compadres add to the mix here: that econ pebble, polished to an impeccable and unassailable gloss, with exactly zero real meaning. Once again confusing the general (and probably yourselves) with immaculate accounting that has no actual connection to reality.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Setting the Haves boogeyman of a useless 24yo turd who is 'better off' being coddled by WalMart than living on the public dole.

Do such Bobs exist? Sure. Does your fine wicker man represent a majority of minimum wage workers? Almost certainly not. But it leaves a nice puddle of drool in front of the Havsie throne, doesn't it?
Since it is irrelevant to point that I made, and was simply me having a good time with the writing, strip out the embellishments and concentrate on the important parts:

Full time at $7.50/hour, and receiving an additional $15,000 in benefits.

Why is society’s burden now Wal-Mart’s alone?

Surely you can understand this, if you aren’t too blinded by your ideology.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Great example, though, of what you and your mostly lesser compadres add to the mix here: that econ pebble, polished to an impeccable and unassailable gloss, with exactly zero real meaning. Once again confusing the general (and probably yourselves) with immaculate accounting that has no actual connection to reality.
I missed the edit.

Ballís still in your court. Show how the analysis is incorrect, or even flawed. You wonít be able to, but good luck!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:56 AM

7,038 posts, read 6,679,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Your numbers are the shocking truth and show the results when a health care system lacks cost control and transparency. I used to live in Colorado and a ballot initiative was proposed in 2016 to set up a state-wide single payer system to cover medical care for all residents. They crunched the numbers and found that even with huge increases in the state's income and sales taxes, the plan was totally unaffordable.

Americans pay 3X to 10X more for health care than citizens of other advanced countries. Until we start to enforce existing antitrust laws and go after the anti-competitive practices of hospitals and insurance companies, we will never get a handle on costs.
Insurance premiums only cover about 70 percent of total national healthcare spending. The average deductible is around 8K.

They waited about 30 years too late for single payer. Most countries were paying about 8 percent GDP until the early 80's. Having a national plan in place imposed cost controls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

5 companies control 95 percent of the insurance market. I remember the early 90's when HMO's were the new big thing because they were cheaper and would keep you healthier with prevention programs. They were merely poaching the most healthy subscribers from the traditional plans. Now all of the insurers all offer the same plans. The insurance exchange marketplace is just the same 5 or 6 companies offering 4 or 5 plans which are mainly differentiated by levels of deductibles, copays, and coinsurance.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
IBallís still in your court. Show how the analysis is incorrect, or even flawed. You wonít be able to, but good luck!
No, your analysis is perfect. Is there a gold star emoji...? Guess not.

It's just irrelevant. Which, of course, you are blind to.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
No, your analysis is perfect. Is there a gold star emoji...? Guess not.

It's just irrelevant. Which, of course, you are blind to.
Got it. Youíve got nothing, and are simply reduced to flinging insults.

Carry on.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Surely you can understand this, if you arenít too blinded by your ideology.
(excuse the rearrangement) I don't actually have an ideology except in that my view of the future is shaped by likely, but as-yet unproven assumptions. It's that these assumptions are at nearly total odds with conventional econ theory that causes all the trouble. (Your ideology, which you have quite clearly expressed in many posts, is the tired old "tomorrow will be like yesterday, only more so, but maybe with flying cars or something.")

But to return to our muttonchops -

Quote:
Full time at $7.50/hour, and receiving an additional $15,000 in benefits.
Benefits from whom? Paid for by whom?

Quote:
Why is societyís burden now Wal-Martís alone?
That's the complete opposite of anything I've ever said. Are you muttoning with me, or the whole pack of rabble here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or