U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That is a nice emotionally driven rant, but why donít you calm down, take a breath, and take a crack at actually addressing the issues in the post?
Like putting the responsibility for supporting the working poor back on the businesses that employ them? You just don't get it, do you?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,377,031 times
<<cue heavy sigh>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Stop lying.
Iím not lying. Iím sorry that satire as a literary device is lost on you, but I even pointed out in a previous post the nature of what I wrote:

Quote:
Since it is irrelevant to point that I made, and was simply me having a good time with the writing, strip out the embellishments and concentrate on the important parts:
Quote:
I worked for Wal-Mart for 4 years. It did not become the massively successful company it is with labor practices like that. It is not in the work-fare business. Jobs where associates "just wander around with a dazed look on their face, and clogging up the aisles, and occasionally picking an item up off the floor where it has fallen and puts it back on the shelf" do not exist.
In spite of your protestations to the contrary you actually admit that what I described is in fact true:

Quote:
I saw people like that get hired very rarely & when they were, they got laid off in a few months at most. Typically they just stopped showing up for work after a few weeks.
The point of the post really isnít about the quality of Wal-Mart workers, but there some who are as I described.

Quote:
So your entire scenario is b.s.
Why not try addressing the real issues of my post before coming to this conclusion? Because right now, your conclusion is completely unsupported.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sure, Donny. Sure.
Now thatís funny, right there.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Like putting the responsibility for supporting the working poor back on the businesses that employ them? You just don't get it, do you?
Still failing to address the issues. . .

Old 03-10-2018, 06:05 PM

2,998 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
That is a nice emotionally driven rant, but why donít you calm down, take a breath, and take a crack at actually addressing the issues in the post?
In other words, discuss consensus economic theory in the terms you have defined/assigned/used, within the guidelines you assume.

You can take your bat and ball and go home any time, now.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
In other words, discuss consensus economic theory in the terms you have defined/assigned/used, within the guidelines you assume.

You can take your bat and ball and go home any time, now.
I presented a scenario that is consistent with current reality. If something in that is correct, point it out. Then provide your assumptions/definitions or whatever you need to do to get the point across, and then we can discuss. But your continual ďYouíre wrong, nyah, nyah!Ē posts with nothing of substance are getting tiresome.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 PM

2,998 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
I presented a scenario that is consistent with current reality. If something in that is correct, point it out. Then provide your assumptions/definitions or whatever you need to do to get the point across, and then we can discuss. But your continual ďYouíre wrong, nyah, nyah!Ē posts with nothing of substance are getting tiresome.
In all seriousness, that's about what I think of yours - you sort of puff up and reel off a situation according to rock-ribbed econ theory from a strongly Have/ProtectTheHaves position, and then demand debate within that narrow framing. So it's your bat, ball, ballpark, rules and umpire... and you demand we play.

Nope.

Until you can let go of the foundational notion that "if I have it, I earned it and taking it from me is theft" - there's nothing more to say. Econ/2018 may work that way. Greed may work that way. The real world is more complex, and demands better. Will henceforth be demanding better even if the temples come down around our ears... but I think there is a better path for everyone except those who will never stop crying over their lost Confederate dollars.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
In all seriousness, that's about what I think of yours - you sort of puff up and reel off a situation according to rock-ribbed econ theory from a strongly Have/ProtectTheHaves position, and then demand debate within that narrow framing. So it's your bat, ball, ballpark, rules and umpire... and you demand we play. Nope.
I presented a rebuttal to the claim that the taxpayers are subsidizing Wal-Martís labor cost. You and others reject it out of hand, and I challenge you to support your positions. I havenít demanded debate in any particular framework, nor anything else, other than support of your contentions that I am wrong.

Quote:

Until you can let go of the foundational notion that "if I have it, I earned it and taking it from me is theft" - there's nothing more to say. Econ/2018 may work that way. Greed may work that way. The real world is more complex, and demands better. Will henceforth be demanding better even if the temples come down around our ears... but I think there is a better path for everyone except those who will never stop crying over their lost Confederate dollars.
That isnít in any way, shape, or form part of my post that has all of you so spun up. You're arguing against an argument that Iím not making - classic straw man.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 3,118,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSGood View Post
It's simple. Insurance company business plan is to collect premiums and avoid paying claims.

Congress' "business" plan is to spend money and avoid accountability.

Congress has an 11% approval rating. We re-elect 91% of them.

They ain't gonna fix nuthin' 'til it's too late.

We're done. Soon.
That's called "straight talk".... we need more of it.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 PM

1,589 posts, read 768,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Most of the health care cost in the US is profiteering. I paid cash for a hip replacement for my dog. It's the same procedure and the same technology as in a human. It cost me $6,000, at the top osteopathic surgeon in my state. I will guarantee that the veterinarian and the vet assistants are not working for free. For a human hip replacement, the average cost is about $39,000. The hip mechanism alone costs more than my dog's hip operation, and it's the same technology, manufactured the same way.

That's not labor costs, it's a monopoly charging whatever the market will bear.
Human hips are often larger than dog hips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or