Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 09:18 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times

Advertisements

Yea The POTUS can ask for money to have a WORTHLESS Military parade but we need to cut entitlements!?
We spend THREE TIMES what the next biggest military budget by any other country and I believe more than the next 9 largest military budgets!

"Beware the Military Industrial Complex" -President and ALLIED COMMANDER Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
47% of the people have a tax rate of 0% and yet you ignore that
Do you have any understanding at all of why these people pay no income tax? Or is your entire argument to keep repeating this disconnected factoid?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:35 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Do you have any understanding at all of why these people pay no income tax?
Congress, in its wisdom, decided about half the populace shouldn't bear a tax burden.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:59 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
That is not my problem...
No, your problem clearly lies elsewhere.

So... what tax rate should the 0-17 bracket pay? For purposes of argument, we can assume anyone in there with income to be functionally 18.

Last edited by Quietude; 03-11-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
So here we are... about 375 posts into this thread. As near as I can tell, there are three camps:

Camp 1: My gosh. We really have a problem with entitlement spending. While entitlement spending is the generally accepted descriptor, some people object its negative connotations. A less emotional descriptor such as transfer payment is preferred. Well, we still have a problem with the growth in transfer payments. During economic downtimes, we really do need such transfer payments to help those who have lost their jobs, etc. But now is an economic boom time. How the heck do we get transfer payments/entitlement payments under control?

Camp 2: My gosh, there is no problem. All that needs to happen is to raise taxes on those with high incomes, where the definition of high income is $1 more per year than the person who is suggesting the tax increase earns. If raising taxes on those people isn't sufficient, just raise taxes more on someone else, somewhere else in the economy. Start with insurance executives.

Camp 3: Some wackjobs arguing for the sake of argument say the problem is we don't have enough entitlement/transfer payments, because, well, they like to argue and chuckle at their own humor, and even though this is an economics forum, they argue that economics is obsolete.

OK, maybe there is yet another camp:

Camp 4: Incoherent rambling filled with vague adjectives and adverbs that seem to add up to an assertion of conspiracy.

Did I miss anything?

Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 PM

949 posts, read 788,530 times
It does seem all the posters are in agreement that something has to change. Given the wide disparity in political viewpoints among posters, it would seem Congress should be getting the message that virtually all citizens, be they independents, Democrats, or Republicans, want to see some type of action.

My take is we, the people, aren't shouting loudly enough at our politicians to get get serious about working on a solution. We are indirectly a part of the problem inherent in our passive political behavior (myself included).

Sam Johnson has introduced one bill in Congress to restructure SS, but it has gone nowhere. Even though I'm not a fan of his proposal, I would like to see the bill debated in Congress to get the ball rolling.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:36 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
posts deleted and thread closed because: adult tantrums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics