U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:24 PM

187 posts, read 81,060 times

Advertisements

Trade policy can be changed by executive action...yikes

The Good.... might be that he (Trump) is prone to impulsive statements and then finds a reason to change his mind or back off. Maybe claims some victory from a perceived concession.

The Bad... he is also prone to double down when opposed or when proven to be wrong.

I have wondered why the stock market was not more volatile during his first year, I think we will be making up for that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,701,286 times
Although anti-dumping regulations can be used to control some situations, it is very hard to insure fair trade when currency manipulation and government subsidies are distorting the marketplace. Large imports come from a few countries...

Canada, Brazil, South Korea, Mexico, and Russia send most and it is very hard to tell when industry here is competing with another business or a government operation.

I will wait and see the result but will trust this will play out over a year or so to result is a better trade situation, but steel and aluminum users in the country will face at least a short term increase in costs.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Americans should be happy to pay more to support American jobs. What’s wrong with you people? Thank you Trump, even though you’re a total jerk.
It's a really bad idea, every country hit with this will add tariffs to goods that we import, and prices on products using steel or aluminum will increase. George Bush tried this and it failed then, why will it be so great now?

"A study funded by steel producers that supported the tariffs found that the tariffs brought back 16,000 steel jobs. A study funded by steel-consuming companies that opposed the tariff found that rising prices caused 200,000 job losses, concentrated in the metal manufacturing, machinery and transportation equipment sectors, though it noted that it was not clear how much of the price increases were caused by he tariffs."

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...im-either.html

Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Good for the few, bad for the many. I can't figure out why anyone not directly benefiting from the steel industry thinks this is a good thing. There's a reason children shouldn't play with matches.
My thoughts exactly!

Old 03-03-2018, 03:58 PM

168 posts, read 110,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Americans should be happy to pay more to support American jobs. What’s wrong with you people? Thank you Trump, even though you’re a total jerk.
If that's the case, then impose tarrifs on finished goods, not base materials American manufacturing uses to produce goods for export.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:27 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,431,283 times
My suspicion is this was done to guarantee war and/or grid transformer materials if and when needed.

We defeated Japan because we were a much larger manufacturing power house. It was really about that simple. Plus we had the worlds largest molybdenum mine in Climax, Colorado and that gave us much tougher steel. The mine was owned by a German conglomerate so Germany also enjoyed unusually tough weaponry. Molybdenum alloy steel is magical steel in active war zones.

China has a sordid history of dumping aluminum here. Unsure about their history with steel.

Trump has made his share of blunders though I find his entertainment value to outweigh most of the blunders. I am certain that he desperately wants to fix our problems and I have not had that feeling since Ronald Reagan.

This is a very tough time to be the US President. The tenures of our previous leaders dug us into a 20 trillion dollar hole. That is a big hole. A hole that may go interstellar and take the country with it.

I see a lot of hooting and hollering about Trump. He has an Econ degree from Wharton. He also turned a 100 million dollar inheritance into 4 billion dollars. I'm still in for the ride though it is certainly bumpy. The left wings Trump Derangement Syndrome provides a solid 15 minutes of entertainment almost every day. Cheers!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 PM

27,476 posts, read 17,629,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

This is a very tough time to be the US President. The tenures of our previous leaders dug us into a 20 trillion dollar hole. That is a big hole. A hole that may go interstellar and take the country with it.

I see a lot of hooting and hollering about Trump. He has an Econ degree from Wharton. He also turned a 100 million dollar inheritance into 4 billion dollars. I'm still in for the ride though it is certainly bumpy. The left wings Trump Derangement Syndrome provides a solid 15 minutes of entertainment almost every day. Cheers!

So he looked at the 20 trillion dollar hole and decided to go all in? He looked in the hole and decided to dig all the way to China.....

We know what Trump says is his worth..... no one has seen any proof of that. He likes to use alternative numbers, that much is clear. While I haven't done the tally, it appears he has more failed businesses than successful one.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-03-2018, 05:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,395,295 times
Trump is now threatening to impose tariffs on European cars. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/trum...-heats-up.html

Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM

601 posts, read 438,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It could for the corporations, but not for the consumers. You know.... us.
Let's say a corporation gets a 15% tax cuts then has to pay a 15% premium on metals does it really effect them in the end very much? Save money one place, spend it in another. The only difference is American metals are bought keeping American manufacturers in business, which can be converted into war materials if necessary.

Some unscrupulous companies may try to claim the tariffs caused them to raise prices, but eventually the free market will fix that.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:03 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,431,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So he looked at the 20 trillion dollar hole and decided to go all in? He looked in the hole and decided to dig all the way to China.....

We know what Trump says is his worth..... no one has seen any proof of that. He likes to use alternative numbers, that much is clear. While I haven't done the tally, it appears he has more failed businesses than successful one.
Commercial real estate adventures are rife with bankruptcies. Tell us about your buildings? I have been in the business. It is often done more for prestige than profits. Non sexy warehouse buildings? A developer can make bank there.

As for his "worth"? That fluctuates a lot and is measurable in different ways. I have no real idea how much I am "worth". I don't even know if I am rich or poor. It depends on how one chooses to look at assets and liabilities.

You heard about the CPA who was hired after answering the Directors math problem? The CPA responded "How much do you want the value to be?"

He does appear to be going all in at this moment in time. Disconcerting to say the least. I am for giving him some time since I don't have a choice in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or