U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM

5,476 posts, read 1,651,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I don't know how this all works so was wondering. Are the people that own the machine or thing that creates American money among the richest people on earth?. Are they also by definition very powerful.If you can create unlimited money can you "buy" the whole world so to speak. Does every country create their own money, can every country can create unlimited money. How does it all work
You know who creates money? YOU do!

That's right. Most money is created by banks, via loans. That is, when you use your credit card, or take out a car loan, student loan, or mortgage, YOU are demanding that your bank create new money. Your bank is only required to actually have 10% of the money you requested. The other 90% is created "out of thin air." So when YOU take out a loan of any kind, YOU are demanding to your bank that it create new money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 06:12 PM

8,277 posts, read 3,452,461 times
Quote:
I don't know how this all works so was wondering. Are the people that own the machine or thing that creates American money among the richest people on earth?. Are they also by definition very powerful.If you can create unlimited money can you "buy" the whole world so to speak. Does every country create their own money, can every country can create unlimited money. How does it all work
Monetary sovereignty means the ability for a nation to create its own money. Based on laws, limited or unlimited.

In the US most money is create by bank loans.

Some money is created through Congress and Federal deficit spending.

The Fed can create money out of thin air as it did with QE.

The Executive can create money by stamping coins.

Trillion dollar platinum proof coins if Trump desires.

I'd guess that most involved in the above are not poor. But most not the elite by any means.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,373,641 times
Quote:
NO, not really.

The people who create wealth for everyone are the people who create products and services other people want, need or desire. Entrepreneurs.

80% of American business is small business.

They may or may not be exactly the wealthiest at any given time.

I have a dog walking micro-business, I COULD potentially hire a bunch of people but chose not to.

Thomas Edison failed MANY times before he had a winning idea.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,311,331 times
Is the OP serious??

Old 03-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NO, not really.

The people who create wealth for everyone are the people who create products and services other people want, need or desire. Entrepreneurs.

80% of American business is small business.

They may or may not be exactly the wealthiest at any given time.

I have a dog walking micro-business, I COULD potentially hire a bunch of people but chose not to.

Thomas Edison failed MANY times before he had a winning idea.
The OP asks about money creation, not wealth.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,344,207 times
Quote:
JMO, Lots of gray area when you talk about "wealth", "rich", "money". They are not the same but commonly thought of being the same.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:22 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,373,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The OP asks about money creation, not wealth.
The OP asks about creating money.

Which isn't even a thing.

Or maybe you thought he was asking about how the Treasury operates?

Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Which isn't even a thing.
Sure it's a thing. It can be physical paper, coin or gold, or electronic USD or other sovereign currency.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:49 AM

2,977 posts, read 1,012,279 times
Quote:

Which isn't even a thing.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Sure it's a thing. It can be physical paper, coin or gold, or electronic USD or other sovereign currency.
Getting a bit econ-semantical here. I think technically, wealth is created, which can be represented by money. But the difference when it's government action or banking expansion is hairsplitting.

I suppose when Picasso scribbled on a bar napkin, he created non-monetary wealth. But all of the above discussion is about the financial system, which pretty much 100% runs on "money." "Say, buddy, can you break a Lichtenstein for me?"

Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 AM

820 posts, read 274,876 times
Money is one of the more difficult abstractions to comprehend, because people think it's simply 'cash in hand'.

You need a basic course in economics, and learning the mathematics of finance won't hurt either.

Now, giddyapp!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or