U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 AM

12 posts, read 5,744 times

Advertisements

Single male from Spain, 35 yrs old, no kids.
Bachelor degree. Job offer in London, UK.
3 years experience in “Digital Marketing”

My value:
I have relevent experience, they are looking for native Spanish speaker/ Fluent English, my mom is English, so I’m bilingual. Also am available immediately and they are urgently looking for someone to strengten their team and serve their Spanish Clients.

After several phone interviews and a succesful Face 2 face interview (They paid for my flight and hotel), They have send me a JOB OFFER BY MAIL

They offered me 29.000k £ which and a relocation package. Flight + 2 weeks hotel. I think this is reasonable.

1) Should I answer them and thank them and tell them that I need time to consider this offer or should I wait a couple of days and then accept/ reject/ counter?

2) I think the offer is reasonble, how ever I do think that I bring value. Should I negotiate?

3) How much extra should I ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Not sure this is an Economics topic (as opposed to Work/Employment) but my question would be this - is £29k (which I figure to be about US$40k and 32k Euro) enough to be a living wage, working in one of the most expensive cities in the world? I assume you're single and young and flexible, but US$40k in San Francisco, Chicago, New York or other comparable metros would be verging on poverty level with rents and general cost of living. I know London is considered terribly expensive, but maybe there is more affordable housing and options.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadergw View Post
Congrats! If you feel that the offer is reasonable I think that you should go for it!
Thanks.

I got a gut feeling that they are flexible.
I think the offer is reasonable, but I just din’t want to leave money on the table.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not sure this is an Economics topic (as opposed to Work/Employment) but my question would be this - is £29k (which I figure to be about US$40k and 32k Euro) enough to be a living wage, working in one of the most expensive cities in the world? I assume you're single and young and flexible, but US$40k in San Francisco, Chicago, New York or other comparable metros would be verging on poverty level with rents and general cost of living. I know London is considered terribly expensive, but maybe there is more affordable housing and options.
I will post it there.

As far as housing Central London is very expensive.

You can rent a room for 500£ - 1000£

Old 03-16-2018, 04:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCANTERO11 View Post
As far as housing Central London is very expensive.

You can rent a room for 500£ - 1000£
So you are looking at 1/3 to 1/2 your income just for housing. Does that leave you a living (or hopefully comfortable) wage? Is the job enough of an opportunity to overcome tight finances for a time? Will you get an increase in salary within a few years?

- all just things I'd think through before accepting such a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or