U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 PM

2,961 posts, read 1,012,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Yes. Just read it again. What made my reply inappropriate? The OP said he did not know what to call it, so I suggested a search term, thinking maybe that is what he was talking about. Or that he could find what he wanted among them.
He's looking for a very specific item that is either a 10-key-capable calculator (something I've never seen) or a very slim, lightweight 10-key. Simply directing him to thousands of calculators on Amazon is... not particularly helpful, IMO.

(You do understand what a 10-key "adding machine" is, and why accountants and others use them instead of a "calculator"?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 PM

13,112 posts, read 18,707,927 times
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...tronics/172524

Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
See post 5?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 AM

844 posts, read 358,558 times
This blog entry has a good write up of ten key calculators

Learn to Add and Subtract with a Ten Key Calculator

Equals (=) Is Not the Way to Go

Use the total key (* or T) to sum your numbers
The easiest way to think of a ten-key calculator is as an adding machine (many of which print this nice little tape for you as proof that you did indeed add that staggering column of numbers correctly). Its sole function is to add numbers. Positive numbers, negative numbers, all kinds of numbers. If it's of decent quality, it will even tell you how many numbers!

The item count is a neat feature that can also stupify if you haven't had much experience with a ten-key--or if you just didn't bother to read the instructions that came with your calculator. However, I'll explain all that in a few moments.

Adding numbers on the ten-key
This is not as intuitive as you might think. I recently answered an email where someone asked me if I had it wrong below. Trust me. I don't. I'll include the email and my response below my tutorial to help make my point clear.

Okay, so we want to add some numbers.

6+5+9+8

Now, do I have to tell you to turn on your calculator? (Please don't make me. I'm not sure I can handle the stress.)

Press: [ C/CE (or C) ] [ C/CE (or C) ]
Press: [ 6 ] [ + ] [ 5 ] [ + ] [ 9 ] [ + ] [ 8 ] [ + ]
See your total there on the screen now? I hope it shows 28. If it doesn't, start over at #1 above. Quickly, now! We're moving on here.
Press: [ * (or T) ]
Nothing happened, did it? That's all right. Nothing was supposed to happen. If you had hit the clear button before you pressed the *, your calculator wouldn't have printed the total or concluded the calculation.
Adding and subtracting numbers on the ten-key
Wow, that was easy, agreed? So, now let's change things up a bit. We'll add and subtract some numbers.

6+5-9-8

Press: [ C/CE (or C) ] [ C/CE (or C) ]
Press: [ 6 ] [ + ] [ 5 ] [ + ] [ 9 ] [ - ] [ 8 ] [ - ]
See your total there on the screen now? I hope it shows —6 or 6.— depending how your calculator shows negative numbers. If it doesn't, start over at #1 above. The thing to remember here is that the calculator is going to ADD everything you input with the keys. So if you want to subract something, you have to enter it as a negative number or, if it's easier to remember, think of it as telling the machine you want to add into the total the number 6 you just entered, you want to add in the 5, take away or subtract the 9, and take away or subtract the 8. But you can't tell the machine to do these things with a number until you've entered the number itself! ***[see below for some further clarification]
Press: [ * (or T) ]

Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
This blog entry has a good write up of ten key calculators
I think we can assume the OP knows how to use a 10-key.

Wow, what a strange thread, even for C-D.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM

844 posts, read 358,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I think we can assume the OP knows how to use a 10-key.

Wow, what a strange thread, even for C-D.
wasn't posted for the OP's benefit (although the blog does have a link to a 10-key advertiser).

It was posted for the benefit of the others who are posting links to lists of general portable calculators.

But thanks for commenting anyway, always enjoy your insightful input.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
But thanks for commenting anyway, always enjoy your insightful input.
No problem. And thanks as always for your large info-dumps from outside the forum in the interests of educating us all.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 PM

3,529 posts, read 2,172,235 times
Business/Finance or Work and Employment forums might have gotten more relevant attention.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:29 PM

2,154 posts, read 795,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

(You do understand what a 10-key "adding machine" is, and why accountants and others use them instead of a "calculator"?)
No, and the OP did not make any effort to explain he difference to anybody who did not. But he did say he was not sure what trey are called.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:00 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No, and the OP did not make any effort to explain he difference to anybody who did not. But he did say he was not sure what trey are called.
He described a calculator that has a specific way to enter numbers, and which is different than the way numbers are entered in most calculators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or