U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:27 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,694,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
So I take it that you don't lounge around in one of your Armani smoker suits, posing in your over stuffed mansion, gazing out over your land, world class touring yacht out back in your private harbor? While your butler brings you your daily mint julep?
Nah not at all. Reality is I can't or wouldn't afford any of those things at the same time I think. The article linked gives such a wide definition to upper class. Really a ton of difference in income/wealth and affordable life style within the top 20/10 or even 5 percent of income folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 01:35 PM

24,696 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Then how would you know about them?
The information is out there, just not in mainstream media.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:37 PM

24,696 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Then how would you know about them? Who told you about this “secret” group you’re not suppose to be aware of?
The information is out there for those who look beyond mainstream media.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM

4,713 posts, read 2,251,841 times
In other words, some article you saw on MindWars?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:47 PM

453 posts, read 187,252 times
Quote:
So I take it that you don't lounge around in one of your Armani smoker suits, posing in your over stuffed mansion, gazing out over your land, world class touring yacht out back in your private harbor? While your butler brings you your daily mint julep?
Lol. Don’t forget the copter on the helipad. Actually, I prefer an iced Tom Collins.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM

6,456 posts, read 5,904,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Do you make the cut? This article defines upper class according to family size and income. I make the cut, but sometimes I sure don't feel like I do.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/how-...per-class.html
Is COL accounted for? Actually, I don't don't see how $72k is upper anything.

It sure doesn't buy you a nice schooner.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 AM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
I would classify the countries somewhat like investors do:

1. Developed: U.S., Canada, Western & Northern Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan.
  2. Nearly developed: South Korea, Taiwan, Spain, Israel, Ireland, Portugal,
  3. China deserves its own category imo because it's such a large and high growth economy but "the other half" of its population is still ridiculously poor
  4. Upper Emerging: central & southern Europe, ie: Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, the better parts of Latin America, ie: Chile, Brazil, Peru, Mexico. Maybe Russia.
  5. Emerging: India, Malaysia, Phillippines, Indonesia, Thailand, South Africa, Turkey, the better off parts of the middle east ie: Qatar, most of Eastern Europe
  6. Lesser Emerging: About half of middle east, Pakistan, Iran, about half of Latin America ie: Colombia, certain African countries ie: Nigeria, Egypt, Namibia
  7. Frontier: Pretty much everything else. Most of Africa, Almost all of Central Asia/Former USSR, the poor South Asian countries ie: Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, the poor parts of Latin America & Caribbean ie: Dominican Republic, Guatemala.
  8. Failed/Failing: The ridiculously poor & dysfunctional countries ie: Haiti, North Korea, Myanmar, Syria, Yemen, Chad, Central African Republic, Afghanistan, etc..

Last edited by redguard57; 04-01-2018 at 02:27 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 AM

4,554 posts, read 1,138,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The information is out there for those who look beyond mainstream media.
So you’re a conspiracy theorist? The Rothschilds are the richest family in the world, then it’s House of Saudi, then the Waltons, Kochs, etc.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...lies-world.asp

You’re saying there’s a secret wealthy family (or families) out there above those listed that the world doesn’t know about? But yet you know about them? That’s impressive.

What other secret information do you know that the mainstream media doesn’t know? You could sell this ifnformation and be a rich man.

“Mysticaltyger exposes the Illuminati.” You should be writing books on this my friend.

Last edited by Rocko20; 04-01-2018 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-01-2018, 04:19 AM

11,304 posts, read 5,834,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
is someone with 3 million dollars worth of real estate and under 50K in yearly income upper class?
I'll bet you can find retirees in Palo Alto with that profile. Their property taxes are frozen at very low levels so that isn't forcing them out of their house. With a median price of $1,561 per square foot, that's not a very big house. Less than 2,000 square feet.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:50 AM

29,462 posts, read 33,694,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
is someone with 3 million dollars worth of real estate and under 50K in yearly income upper class?
No, their accessible income is under 50k. To access that equity they need to take out a loan. Their available capital is how much? Is their mortgage even paid off? They could very easily have high credit debt living pay check to paycheck.

The OP criteria was income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or