U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM

4,102 posts, read 1,715,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forager22 View Post
So the story is a long one, Ill try to keep it short.

About 7 years ago (2011) my pops got me my first car and cosigned me onto the loan. About 2 year into the payments, I guess he defaulted and we got the car repossessed. This was the first time around and we payed the fees for the repo and got caught up with the payments and ultimately got the car back. Several months later the car got repossessed again due to default on the payments (again). Now at this point at around the beginning of 2014, I got fed up and decided to go about work and school with my brothers car instead. Years have passed and now around the beginning of year 2018 I get a call from a collections agency telling me they are going to sue me for an accident that happened in October 2014. I NEVER EVEN HAD THE CAR AT THAT POINT AND NEITHER DID MY POPS. The guy was rude and snarky, and it sounded too much like a scam, so I disregarded the call. I get a letter a month later; a "memorandum of cost after judgement" and now it seems all too real. Apparently it was still under me and my fathers name and therefore we are held responsible, but according to my credit report the last dated payment is May 2014. This makes no sense! What do I do?

Thank you guys in advance and I really hope to get this all figured out.
YOU got fed up with what? Not paying your loan????

The car was repoed. Did you think it was magically going away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 PM

4,102 posts, read 1,715,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
if the memorandum of costs after judgement that the op received looks genuine, he would be well-advised to consult an attorney experienced in debt collection and not treat this as a scam or phishing.
+1.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:11 AM

862 posts, read 407,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
This is why you don't let a car drive away with a new owner without immediately informing DMV of the sale. Much less just wander off and abandon it like a puppy.
I had an episode somewhat like that in the past. In 2000, less than one month after turning a dodge van in for trade at a VW dealership, the police knocked on my door inquiring as to where the traded van was. I told them it was at the dealership, and showed my paperwork (which included title release). When I asked why, they responded it was used as a getaway car in a bank robbery.
Change the title if it is not already done.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 PM

16,688 posts, read 39,312,378 times
Two really excellent web resources to help you deal with credit and debt issues are:

CreditBoards dot com and DebtorBoards dot com

Old 03-29-2018, 02:04 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,692,333 times
The only paper that matters is one that comes from a court of law. A legit judgement will have the name of the court with its address and phone number on it. Probably would even have a case #. If you are unsure and live next to a court bring the paper to the courthouse and speak with the court clerk. They will be able to help you much more than any one here.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:49 AM

7 posts, read 2,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
YOU got fed up with what? Not paying your loan????

The car was repoed. Did you think it was magically going away?
More like, fed up with my father telling me he would take care of it. At the time i got cosigned onto the loan i was still in highschool and unfamiliar with auto loans and titles. However, this isn't about the finance company that are looking for an unpaid balance. This is about an insurance agency that claims there was an accident some time in 2014 that has not been settled. It seems they may have left it with a collections agency that hired a lawyer to pursue legal action to collect the money. :\

Old 03-31-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The only paper that matters is one that comes from a court of law. A legit judgement will have the name of the court with its address and phone number on it. Probably would even have a case #. If you are unsure and live next to a court bring the paper to the courthouse and speak with the court clerk. They will be able to help you much more than any one here.
Thank you, I may very well ask the court clerks to enlighten me on this issue. I did however pull up the court case with the court number given on the paper. It seems to be legitimate and I will now be seeing someone for more professional advice. Thank you for your help

Old 03-31-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I had an episode somewhat like that in the past. In 2000, less than one month after turning a dodge van in for trade at a VW dealership, the police knocked on my door inquiring as to where the traded van was. I told them it was at the dealership, and showed my paperwork (which included title release). When I asked why, they responded it was used as a getaway car in a bank robbery.
Change the title if it is not already done.
Changing the title is something I should have definitely done. Shame on me for not thinking about the repercussions of being cosigned onto something. I will definitely look into the next steps, whether it is to pay off the debt, to work out a deal, or to further investigate the incident itself. Thnks for the help!

Old 03-31-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
We had someone call us for a bill which we never had so insisted they were scammers and told them never to call again. Did you cross check their phone number? Our caller's number was notorious for pulling that scam on people. After 7 years I'm not sure they can legally go after you.

Good luck and don't take the bait.
Thank you, i cross checked numbers and its a collections agency, which seems legitimate. I did however find the case on the county court website, so this is real for me :\.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
All that is true, as H140 already noted. But the issue here isn't "what is a collection agency?" but "what is a collection agency doing trying to shake a court settlement out of an unconnected person?"

There are so many phishing/strongarm phone scams these days that I can't give a lot of credence to the OP's telling of the story - I think it must have details that have been changed or rearranged (from utterly innocent causes on his part) - e.g. some careful phishers will avoid saying "collection agency" but keep stressing they are collecting this amount.

I would neither ignore it nor try to deal with this entity directly. The OP should find a competent attorney who will at least investigate for a reasonable fee.
Competent attorney is where i will go. thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or