U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM

6,149 posts, read 2,549,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The end of what? The world has moved on just fine from an era where Rome was a major power. Why is that important?

So you are advocating simply confiscating people's property (Stealing it)because you want to give it back to people that didn't earn the money to build it. I don't agree with taking that action. I believe that is morally wrong, and it would also harm us in the long run. We would lose all foreign investment which is something that has help drive our economy. We wouldn't be a responsible trustworthy nation.

What is/was your basis for reaching such an odd conclusion? Foreign nationals should not have rights superseding a native's rights.

I'd say that is very harsh. We are living well here overall. Shelter, food, medical care are all pretty good overall. Most lower income households have luxury items like flat screen TV's, cell phones, etc etc. True poverty is rampant in many nations. Here in the states many people in the lower rungs of society will eventually move up the ranks somewhat. I'm not seeing just cause for bombing nations because they are out competing us, while we choose to flop around and complain. Nobody promised it would be easy peasy to compete, and be one of the wealthiest societies. We are not entitled to be one of the top nations if we are unwilling to work hard to maintain.
Most lower and lower middle income "households" dont own the real estate property that that flat screen TV is housed in and they are subject to eviction and homelessness for a myriad of reasons at any time.

Most wealthy nations through out all of history maintained such position in VERY large part due to military compliance, NOT due to working their fingers to the bone until they were 80.

They had to maintain sharp mental awareness and physical fitness in order to go out and squel any insuretions but they did not have to "out compete" them by working like slaves.

Building high tech military weapons and having a military society (kind of like modern day switzerland) is not easy but they do meaningful work, life work ballance and maintain a state of military readyness.

Having sweat shops where people work themselves to death is not the same thing.

I would say the reaper drone was the best invention ever made (after the machine gun), it enables projections of power pretty much anywhere and they are super hard to shoot down as they are tiny and move extremely slow and fly super high since there is no human in them. Atomic bomb was cool for a while but with IP theft it has resulted in MAD which is probably what has brought us to where we are today, everyone scared of nuclear attack so there is alot of pandering and poverty going on because no one can fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:59 PM

2,287 posts, read 1,426,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Most lower and lower middle income "households" dont own the real estate property that that flat screen TV is housed in and they are subject to eviction and homelessness for a myriad of reasons at any time.

Most wealthy nations through out all of history maintained such position in VERY large part due to military compliance, NOT due to working their fingers to the bone until they were 80.

They had to maintain sharp mental awareness and physical fitness in order to go out and squel any insuretions but they did not have to "out compete" them by working like slaves.

Building high tech military weapons and having a military society (kind of like modern day switzerland) is not easy but they do meaningful work, life work ballance and maintain a state of military readyness.

Having sweat shops where people work themselves to death is not the same thing.

I would say the reaper drone was the best invention ever made (after the machine gun), it enables projections of power pretty much anywhere and they are super hard to shoot down as they are tiny and move extremely slow and fly super high since there is no human in them. Atomic bomb was cool for a while but with IP theft it has resulted in MAD which is probably what has brought us to where we are today, everyone scared of nuclear attack so there is alot of pandering and poverty going on because no one can fight.
So essentially you think we should take the path of Nazi Germany and use superior military to take what we want and treat our enemies as lessor humans until someone can stop us?

Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So essentially you think we should take the path of Nazi Germany and use superior military to take what we want and treat our enemies as lessor humans until someone can stop us?
Yep, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees in some modern day sweat shop if the option is there and there is a good chance of success.

I consider economic warfare to be the same as physical warfare and should be responded to as such. You set up a factory in a slave labor nation to under cut americans, we blow it up with a crusie missile and cut ties with said nation. Any CEO that shares IP is tried for treason and either hung or life in prison.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:38 PM

2,287 posts, read 1,426,228 times
Quote:
Yep, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees in some modern day sweat shop if the option is there and there is a good chance of success.

I consider economic warfare to be the same as physical warfare and should be responded to as such. You set up a factory in a slave labor nation to under cut americans, we blow it up with a crusie missile and cut ties with said nation. Any CEO that shares IP is tried for treason and either hung or life in prison.
Quote Details: Dwight D. Eisenhower: Every gun that is... - The Quotations Page

Let me leave it to be explained by someone who knew a little bit about the military.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Let me leave it to be explained by someone who knew a little bit about the military.
I disagree, if used properly the military can be used to insulate its citizens from economic warfare and injustices.

If these other countries want factories and jobs maybe they should invent things and build it themselves instead of enticing greedy CEO's to set up shop over there with someone elses IP. Under very rare circumstnaces will the CEO himself be the actual inventor, in which case thats a different sitaution. Usually CEO's steal IP via legal paper work from the actual inventor.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 AM

1,048 posts, read 572,041 times
Quote:

Quote:
I disagree, if used properly the military can be used to insulate its citizens from economic warfare and injustices. ...
PittsFlyer, most parents do not share your eagerness to significantly risk their nation, and particularly their children and grandchildren for ill considered benefits on behalf of great global corporations and their political minions.

[Those in power frequently are opposed to changes of the status quo for no better reason than it actually may change the status quo. Why would those already wealthy and comfortable want to risk change? But the status quo isn't even particularly advantageous to even those on top. It's been said “we ALL do better when we ALL do better.]

I'm among the proponents of the “improved” trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It would significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.
Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and thus to their numbers of jobs.

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 05-14-2018, 11:29 PM

11,856 posts, read 7,797,575 times
American greed got ourselves in this mess. In a trade war between a central government and a Republic, I don't think we could win a prolonged trade war. Trump would lose and our government will back off when the people vote their way. Americans love cheap goods, they don't mind borrowing against their future just to save a few bucks.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 PM

5,173 posts, read 4,769,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
American greed got ourselves in this mess.
If the few thousand Americans who benefited from the policies of the last 40 years are the only ones who count, then I guess this is true. The masses are generally clueless. We took a 50% paycut to save 3% on imports. Good deal?

Old 05-15-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
PittsFlyer, most parents do not share your eagerness to significantly risk their nation, and particularly their children and grandchildren for ill considered benefits on behalf of great global corporations and their political minions.

[Those in power frequently are opposed to changes of the status quo for no better reason than it actually may change the status quo. Why would those already wealthy and comfortable want to risk change? But the status quo isn't even particularly advantageous to even those on top. It's been said “we ALL do better when we ALL do better.]

I'm among the proponents of the “improved” trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. It would significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminate USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods, increasing our GDP and numbers of jobs more than otherwise.
Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation's GDP and thus to their numbers of jobs.

Respectfully, Supposn
Wrong, they are already selling out their kids down the river by continuing to borrow and cutting taxes for the rich. They are worried about their own skin because they know that with modern warfare they can get bombed or hit with a long range missile in their cush little vilas sipping brandy. It wont just be the 20 somehtings that get sent out as fauder.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 AM

2,845 posts, read 1,251,327 times
Quote:
We don't have to be nazis about it, but we did spend trillions on a military, not trillions on schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or