U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 AM

21,003 posts, read 25,781,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
......... China hits back by stopping the import of farm goods, of which, America's are largely commodities. .....
Not much of a threat, unless China is willing to let her people starve.... which I suppose is possible.

There are very few net food exporting countries. China can go buy all the soybeans in Argentina, but then Argentina's other soybean buyers are going to have to buy their soybeans elsewhere. Which means they will be buying the soy beans from the USA that China didn't want to buy. It's not like American soybeans won't be sold because China didn't buy them.

China owns the largest pork producer in the USA. Stopping pork imports will hurt their own companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM

6,082 posts, read 2,500,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You mean like the embargo on Japanese oil and gasoline in August of 1941? Sometimes that leads to “unprovoked” attacks. Economic war quickly turns to real wars.

And it’s funny you say China isn’t our friend, but then you think we should have closer ties with Russia? Russia is far from a friend if you hadn’t noticed. And they have good relations with China to balance out the United States power. Why would they join us to take down our greatest competitive rival?

China isn’t an enemy. They’re a strong competitor. There’s a difference. Competition should bring the best out of Americans.

The biggest criticism I hear, is they steal IP. Do you think China is the only country that takes other countries ideas? Do a little research on the tizard mission (“the most valuable cargo to ever reach American shores”) and operation paper clip.
When an idea takes 20-30 years to develop and the original developer barely makes a year of profit before its ripped off and copied is an enemy not a competitor. You are making way to much light of IP theft which is a BIG deal. So much of a big deal in fact that when the Italians invented glass it was made on an island and sharing said info was punishable by death. Italy had a complete monopoly on that commodity, why **** that way when it likely took them multiple generations of inventors to figure out?

there is FAR to much time and energy tied up in R&D to just have it ripped off. I believe it is why inovation is suffering, as an inventor what incentive do I have to ever release a big idea when patents are 6 figures to protect in court and IP protection is a joke.

The only inventions I am interested in are weapons and selling to the highest bidder (so long as I can get at least 8 figures), i suspect we will see a major stifling of inventors bringing anything to market, if you had 30 years tied up in developing 1-3 ideas would you just **** them away to make a few peanuts? Nope you just trump it up to a hobbies and if you can 8 figures off the prototype cool if not shelve it.

So long as society decides to keep giving a big middle finger to inventors, inventors will do likewise. You will get your little shark tank clown shows and that will be the extent of it.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That's the unintended consequence of extreme nationalism. We can preach "America first". But then why shouldn't China preach "China first" or Russia preach "Russia first"? In situations like this when you need support it becomes harder to rally allies to your cause when you've alienated them. I mean they are sovereign nations just like us so.

Of course the more extreme factions of us will think we should just go to war with everyone else until they submit to us because might makes right! MAGA!

Never mind the fact that we haven't even been able to control the ME despite our almost continual military presence there. And just imagine how much a never ending war with the rest of the world would add to our already bloated deficit.
ME we are trying to extract a natural resource that is in the ground there, that is a far more complex situation than just the need to blow up some factories to knock a player out of the game. We dont have to engage in the same sort of war with China because they have nothing of value in the ground that we want, we just want them to leave the big boys table and blowing up factories would solve that problem, of course so would embargos, it would cause them to at least shut down the factories and make them, over time, like another laos or cambodia.

They have no value in the ground and they have not had an original thought since fire works, they are literally a parasite. They rip off ideas, plagiarize academic work and slap up factories using pseudo slave labor so that they can "compete". At least the Russians have legitimate scientists and engineers, especially considering their extremely low population they are doing pretty good. They are also more culturally similar to America.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not much of a threat, unless China is willing to let her people starve.... which I suppose is possible.

There are very few net food exporting countries. China can go buy all the soybeans in Argentina, but then Argentina's other soybean buyers are going to have to buy their soybeans elsewhere. Which means they will be buying the soy beans from the USA that China didn't want to buy. It's not like American soybeans won't be sold because China didn't buy them.

China owns the largest pork producer in the USA. Stopping pork imports will hurt their own companies.
I am guessing some of these posters are chineese trolls sitting in some warehouse in mainland china, no rational american would support China and their intellectual property theft, human rights violations and currancy manipulation. Chinas actions have been to errode american jobs and collapse the american economy, they know exactly what they are doing and we are stupid enough to let it continue.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
The one who would be isolated is us.
Countries wouldn't want to deal with us, we would not be trustworthy.
In addition we are not capable of doing what you want us to do without great cost to ourselves.
People would be angry both here and abroad, and we would find ourselves unsupported.
Russia wouldn't be our friend, they would relish seeing us in the fight while undermining and exploiting wherever they could to their own advantage, and I wouldn't blame them.

People and nations aren't at our beck and call. They have their own goals to advance themselves. Trying to advance yourself through aggressive acts/war, is not acceptable in the world community. Working hardest/smartest is.
With the 3rd largest land mass, natural resources and a hair under 400 million people if we cant make it on our own then maybe we should fail and suffer.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM

674 posts, read 481,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
With the 3rd largest land mass, natural resources and a hair under 400 million people if we cant make it on our own then maybe we should fail and suffer.
I'm sure we can make it on our own just fine, but given the way we consume, we would have to work harder than we do now to continue living in the style we do currently. In addition our native population is aging, so immigration would likely need to increase in order to get all the additional work done.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:02 PM

2,244 posts, read 1,390,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am guessing some of these posters are chineese trolls sitting in some warehouse in mainland china, no rational american would support China and their intellectual property theft, human rights violations and currancy manipulation. Chinas actions have been to errode american jobs and collapse the american economy, they know exactly what they are doing and we are stupid enough to let it continue.
Yes, I’m actually posting from Tiananmen Square.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 PM

3,748 posts, read 7,216,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm sure we can make it on our own just fine, but given the way we consume, we would have to work harder than we do now to continue living in the style we do currently. In addition our native population is aging, so immigration would likely need to increase in order to get all the additional work done.
No need for new immigrants. After the old people die off, the population will shrink and things will be like before at that (lower) population.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
No need for new immigrants. After the old people die off, the population will shrink and things will be like before at that (lower) population.
The over population and foreign influence is driving real estate prices through the roof and causing arrested development of a vast majority of young people.

Areas with good jobs = completely out of control housing prices, that is it that is all. Not only does it cause arrested development socially but also technically, people cant create, start businesses, develop ideas, etc when they are drowning in living expenses.

The fact that the powers that be have been able to keep this system proped up for SO LONG is a very serious problem. A lot of these consequences have very delayed reactions and are very hard to fix. it takes decades to fix people choosing not to have kids due to out of control living expenses or severe breaches of trust between citizens and buisness, government, etc.

I was reading an article that it can take 9 years for a person to rebuild trust after an unjustified lay off, it can take decades for the military to rebuild trust when they stop paying them because of some political power struggle or excessive deployments.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 AM

863 posts, read 372,002 times
It is true that the cost of living is now already too high.

Workers will need $45/hour wage just to have a basic living. And that's just buying everything from Walmart and grocery. Most everything are made in China. One possible trade war consequence is China stop sending those cheap things over, then average American can not even afford new shoes. China has leverage on both imports and exports in a trade war with the US. When everything in Walmart are gone, average American can not afford a basic living. Same is true with everything sold at Amazon, Dollar General ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or