Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 AM

8,852 posts, read 11,641,249 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree. It does not take $45 an hour wage to have a basic living. Most people I know make less than that and they do just fine. Most things are made in China now, but if China is out of the equation, other countries will take over in a heartbeat. Countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, India, Mexico, Ethiopia, Nigeria, etc. would fill that void if China stops making cheap stuff. It is a myth that Americans would suffer high prices if China stops making stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:33 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,168,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

I have to disagree. It does not take $45 an hour wage to have a basic living. Most people I know make less than that and they do just fine. Most things are made in China now, but if China is out of the equation, other countries will take over in a heartbeat. Countries such as Vietnam, Thailand, the Philippines, India, Mexico, Ethiopia, Nigeria, etc. would fill that void if China stops making cheap stuff. It is a myth that Americans would suffer high prices if China stops making stuff.
Well aside from the fact that we already get a lot of small item imports from those countries like clothing and toys, you haven't you asked yourself the obvious question of why haven't we already developed a stronger business relationship with those countries:

1. Aside from Mexico and India the rest of those you listed are very politically unstable. Mexico and China's government may be corrupt they is more political stability than with those other countries you listed.

2. The U.S. has profited off of foreign investment. China has people that can invest here. Much of what's going on in the south right now is due to foreign companies investing in the U.S. Those countries you listed do not have the wealth to invest in U.S. capital.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,066,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well aside from the fact that we already get a lot of small item imports from those countries like clothing and toys, you haven't you asked yourself the obvious question of why haven't we already developed a stronger business relationship with those countries:

1. Aside from Mexico and India the rest of those you listed are very politically unstable. Mexico and China's government may be corrupt they is more political stability than with those other countries you listed.

2. The U.S. has profited off of foreign investment. China has people that can invest here. Much of what's going on in the south right now is due to foreign companies investing in the U.S. Those countries you listed do not have the wealth to invest in U.S. capital.
That and there is no limit to how many nations we can embargo or financially strangle. China is just the 300 lb elephant in the room, that does not mean that we cant go right down the list.

45/hr is minimum to maintain an industrialized first world quality of life in alot of areas. Generally the areas where you can live well for 20/hr are areas that dont have hardly any jobs.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

When you say "stability" what you really mean is a strong and effective police state is in place so schemers and sniviling kinivers can weasle their way around without any fear of violent retaliation for any economic fall out they cause.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:00 AM

2,287 posts, read 1,354,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That and there is no limit to how many nations we can embargo or financially strangle. China is just the 300 lb elephant in the room, that does not mean that we cant go right down the list.
If you think the world is going to want to work with us after we are attempting to embargo nations I think you are mistaken. These sort of bullying tactics would backfire against us in every way. If our nation/people can no longer compete then we are no longer number 1 economically.

We are entitled to nothing but what we earn. We have been getting/consuming much more through excessive borrowing. So long as we are able to borrow 1 trillion a year, he continue to get away with this lifestyle. We can hasten our inability to borrow by creating disturbances that incite populations around the world. How about we just roll up our sleeves and put in the work to be a well to do nation instead? We already have a lot of advantages.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,547,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
If our nation/people can no longer compete then we are no longer number 1 economically.
We wouldn't have a bit of trouble "competing" on an even playing field. The US$ is boosted to make it overvalued, intentionally. And we have trade policies to create a trade deficit with many countries. It isn't accidental.

BTW, the US is by far the biggest developed country in population, so it's pretty easy for us to be #1 in a lot of economic metrics. We haven't been #1 in living standard for a long time.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
If you think the world is going to want to work with us after we are attempting to embargo nations I think you are mistaken. These sort of bullying tactics would backfire against us in every way. If our nation/people can no longer compete then we are no longer number 1 economically.

We are entitled to nothing but what we earn. We have been getting/consuming much more through excessive borrowing. So long as we are able to borrow 1 trillion a year, he continue to get away with this lifestyle. We can hasten our inability to borrow by creating disturbances that incite populations around the world. How about we just roll up our sleeves and put in the work to be a well to do nation instead? We already have a lot of advantages.
Because other nations leverage slave and pseudo slave labor its not an apples to apples comparison. Also why would it be a bad thing if people could not longer borrow huge amounts to consume cheap junk from China?

I am still not seeing the down side.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Because other nations leverage slave and pseudo slave labor its not an apples to apples comparison. Also why would it be a bad thing if people could not longer borrow huge amounts to consume cheap junk from China?

I am still not seeing the down side.
You do not see a downside to committing acts of war on nations?

One downside is they could commit acts of war upon us too. Despite having superior overall military strength, we have vulnerabilities, and we do not have a monopoly on very destructive weapons. So one potential downside is a large loss of life on both sides. Another likely downside is a loss of the lifestyle we are currently enjoying.

Regarding borrowing money, I'd like to see our ability to borrow money cut down. I'd like to see our government stop spending so much of our (Borrowed) money on a military that interferes in other countries affairs. I don't expect this to happen, but I'd like to see it.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
You do not see a downside to committing acts of war on nations?

One downside is they could commit acts of war upon us too. Despite having superior overall military strength, we have vulnerabilities, and we do not have a monopoly on very destructive weapons. So one potential downside is a large loss of life on both sides. Another likely downside is a loss of the lifestyle we are currently enjoying.

Regarding borrowing money, I'd like to see our ability to borrow money cut down. I'd like to see our government stop spending so much of our (Borrowed) money on a military that interferes in other countries affairs. I don't expect this to happen, but I'd like to see it.
If a nation retaliated militarily to an embargo the wrath of god would fall upon them unless we have become so weak as a nation that we no longer have the will to fight, in which case we should just fade into the night like the Roman Empire did.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
If a nation retaliated militarily to an embargo the wrath of god would fall upon them unless we have become so weak as a nation that we no longer have the will to fight, in which case we should just fade into the night like the Roman Empire did.
So a nation should just accept an act of war upon them? It would have to be a weak nation, but when you are talking about China, they are not weak. We haven't had war on our own territory, but when you are talking about doing battle with nations like China or Russia, then everything is on the table. Part of that wrath of God could easily be bombs on American soil too, if we are dropping bombs on them. Maybe we should just work a little harder and try to compete with other nations whose people are working hard.

If we fade like the Roman Empire, that is an acceptable outcome. The world has moved on from that era and we are all still here and doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics