U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM

3,036 posts, read 1,028,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Look for Guitar Center stores to go soon.
I'm not sure that's the case. The one near me in CT was always busy and was just about the only place to buy guitars, amps and accessories for 50 miles. (We had to drive well into NJ for a brass store.)

The ones that are dependent on being part of a mall, maybe. But I'd bet on at least one surviving in each metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:39 PM

3,530 posts, read 2,175,605 times
In addition to debt and online competition, TRU had to contend with demographic changes. There literally aren't as many kids as there used to be. in that sense, it may be a harbinger of things to come for other retailers as the shortage of kids turns into a shortage of teens and young adults.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
In addition to debt and online competition, TRU had to contend with demographic changes. There literally aren't as many kids as there used to be. in that sense, it may be a harbinger of things to come for other retailers as the shortage of kids turns into a shortage of teens and young adults.
I really wonder how much that matters, given that there are still tens of millions of kids at any one time. So there were more with the Boomers, and another bulge 20 years ago, but it's not like the pyramid has pulled in its base in the last decade or so. Toys, in general, are a staple, a necessity and a commodity, however ephemeral any one toy or class of toys might be.

I'd put nearly all the blame elsewhere - in shopping habits going to discount stores and online, and a turn to more virtual toys.

Put another way - I'd bet there has not been a decline in toy sales paralleling the demographic shift. At least, not to any catastrophic level.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 2,175,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I really wonder how much that matters, given that there are still tens of millions of kids at any one time. So there were more with the Boomers, and another bulge 20 years ago, but it's not like the pyramid has pulled in its base in the last decade or so. Toys, in general, are a staple, a necessity and a commodity, however ephemeral any one toy or class of toys might be.

I'd put nearly all the blame elsewhere - in shopping habits going to discount stores and online, and a turn to more virtual toys.

Put another way - I'd bet there has not been a decline in toy sales paralleling the demographic shift. At least, not to any catastrophic level.
Actually, toy sales plummeted in 2013 and haven't fully recovered. How much of that is due to high-tech competition, versus the 0-17 age group not growing since around 2000... who knows? But the number of US children grew 14% from 1980 to 2000, and is forecast to grow 2% from 2000-2020 (to pick some random intervals).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...et-since-2005/
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...0I513620141016
https://www.childstats.gov/americasc...ables/pop1.asp

That doesn't mean other items aren't factors, but when you indebt yourself into thin margins and then your customer base stops growing, that's a bad combination.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Actually, toy sales plummeted in 2013 and haven't fully recovered.
I'll take your word for it. The first of your cites is behind a paywall for me, and the second is about a specific niche with little general supporting data. That the 0-17 population is down from recent generational peaks is not in dispute.

Quote:
That doesn't mean other items aren't factors, but when you indebt yourself into thin margins and then your customer base stops growing, that's a bad combination.
That's really all I meant. Were it just a drop in the buying population, it would not be enough. A drop in physical toys alone, ditto. A drop in store traffic, more serious. But combine all of that and more, and with shaky financials and small margins... and I'd say the founder died at just the right time.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:01 PM

3,546 posts, read 1,997,421 times
GNC
Guitar Center
Charming Charlie’s
Charlotte Russe
Bonton
Neiman Marcus
Sears
Kmart
Jc penny
Dicks
Nine West
Claire’s
Payless
David’s Bridal
Gordmans

Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,411 posts, read 50,646,420 times
Here the next is going to be Macy's, not the whole company, just our local store in Redmond, WA.

Macy’s at Redmond Town Center to close early next year | Redmond Reporter

Old 03-29-2018, 02:40 PM

18,028 posts, read 13,251,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here the next is going to be Macy's, not the whole company, just our local store in Redmond, WA.

Macy’s at Redmond Town Center to close early next year | Redmond Reporter
Macy's already announced store closings many many months ago as part of a restructuring and revitalization plan.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Macy's already announced store closings many many months ago as part of a restructuring and revitalization plan.
And JCP has been slowly collapsing in the wake of Sears, after it turned out not to be a brick-and-mortar Apple.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 PM

11,420 posts, read 13,972,769 times
Sears and JC Penney will be gone soon. They are hanging by a thread now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics