U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM

3,014 posts, read 1,023,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Sears and JC Penney will be gone soon. They are hanging by a thread now.
Fairly cheap, out of style threads at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,397,122 times
I'm amazed that Barnes & Noble has survived this long when Amazon is its direct competition. I remember after Borders closed down, everyone said it was just a matter of time. Somehow they're still standing.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM

3,014 posts, read 1,023,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm amazed that Barnes & Noble has survived this long when Amazon is its direct competition. I remember after Borders closed down, everyone said it was just a matter of time. Somehow they're still standing.
Zero B&M competition, instead of having a competitor right across the street or mall, is probably the final thread holding them in place. For all of Amazon's advantages, sometimes you can't replace browsing bookshelves.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:13 PM

7,282 posts, read 15,288,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Toys R Us & Claire's are closing because they can't repay the debt they acquired in leveraged buyouts.
Claire's business model-cheap and fun impulse purchases that typically run $10 or less, I think, actually still makes sense as bricks & mortar. So you need a pair of earrings to go with a certain piece of clothing, and don't want to spend more on shipping than the earrings cost? Go there for more variety and less fighting your way through the store compared to buying similar earrings from Walmart or Target.

Not surprised to hear it was the additional debt that got them.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:32 AM

3,545 posts, read 1,991,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I never order books from amazon but get all of our books from B&N. We bring our daughter and browse the kids section and pick our options for each of us. We’re not huge readers by any means but it is a somewhat fun family activity.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:30 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,397,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I never order books from amazon but get all of our books from B&N. We bring our daughter and browse the kids section and pick our options for each of us. We’re not huge readers by any means but it is a somewhat fun family activity.
Yes, and apparently they are working on developing the "community social space" and cafe aspect of their business more, and will start to make the books revolve around that.

I think if they add avocado toast to the menu, they'll be golden

Some of it is culture too. What powered the big-box bookstores back in the 90s & early 2000s were Harry Potter, Twilight, etc... There haven't been major teen blockbuster books like that lately.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-31-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics