U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times

Advertisements

Garden State Plaza does well because it's about ten miles west of Manhattan, a straight shot over the George Washington Bridge. NJ sales tax is lower than NY's, and New York City does not have actual malls comparable to what you find in the suburbs.

It's an absolute horror, from my point of view, but I am most definitely NOT a person who enjoys shopping. When I lived near there and for some reason had to go to a mall, it was a nightmare. It's infested with people and bunches of kids, pushing baby carriages, strolling along like they are out at the park for a day and all I want to do is get in, find the store I need, pay for what I came for and get out of Dodge.

It's a destination for a day out for a lot of New Yorkers, and for some reason I cannot fathom, there are people who find shopping to be entertainment. For that reason, I think the Garden State Plaza will be around for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 PM

2,999 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's an absolute horror, from my point of view, but I am most definitely NOT a person who enjoys shopping.
[...]
...for some reason I cannot fathom, there are people who find shopping to be entertainment.
You and me, queen. I've set foot in a mall twice in the last seven or eight years - once to pick up something I promised without realizing I had to go into the bowels of hell for it, and once to find the worst-located Amazon locker I've ever seen. (Into the absolute center depths, then down an elevator, then down a long blank corridor, in an alcove across from the security and management pit. Never again.)

Malls can become extinct for alla me. And I grew up in the trade, oddly enough.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM

526 posts, read 412,279 times
I'm surprised South Coast Plaza in southern California is not on this list. It is one of, if not the most, upscale malls in the United States.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:15 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,088,246 times
I hate all malls, but in particular, all of the US malls suck compared to what I saw in Japan, Tokyo primarily. We don't have no 36 floor mall like at Skytree, or anything as grand as the ones in Odaiba. If they were to disappear, I would not be sad in the least bit. The only thing that's gotten me back to malls (having not gone to one in nearly 6 years prior) was Round 1. It fills the arcade junkie in me that we don't have in America. Sadly it's not Game Taito Station, Sega, or Namco, but I'll settle.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:31 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
High end luxury malls, where shoppers think nothing of spending thousands on a suit or watch, for example, will probably continue to do well. Your standard issue, middle class suburban malls will continue to fail.
Pretty much. People in the malls in major metros often spend thousands at stores in a single transaction. Itís often nearly impossible to even find a spot.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:05 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You and me, queen. I've set foot in a mall twice in the last seven or eight years - once to pick up something I promised without realizing I had to go into the bowels of hell for it, and once to find the worst-located Amazon locker I've ever seen. (Into the absolute center depths, then down an elevator, then down a long blank corridor, in an alcove across from the security and management pit. Never again.)

Malls can become extinct for alla me. And I grew up in the trade, oddly enough.
Where I live now, there is a mall nearby that seems to be slowly dying. You can get a parking space near a door even at Christmastime. The only reason I go there is because that's where my Planet Fitness is, but I don't have to go through the mall to get there.

When it rains, water leaks down into the corridor alongside the gym. The owner is a very wealthy man who bought the mall and wanted to turn it into a shopping and entertainment center with residential buildings, but the people in the neighborhood shouted it down because they fear increased traffic.

Then the owner's father-in-law was elected President of the United States, and he moved to DC and forgot about the project. And the ceiling continues to leak.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:11 PM

2,999 posts, read 1,017,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And the ceiling continues to leak.
Slumlords will be slumlords.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:13 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,272,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Mall of America is noticeably missing from this list as it has been touted as a big tourist attraction.

Also, noticeably missing area Lennox Square in Atlanta and the Galleria in Houston.
Mall of America was valued at $1.4 billion when it refinanced in 2014.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:17 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
It seems like there is a niche-market that allows certain malls to do well....the rest seem like dumps headed towards failure.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 PM

33,035 posts, read 12,497,258 times
Went walking in a local mall recently. Over half the stores were closed, including two of the four anchor stores. Good many of the stores were actually things like places to experience virtual reality, a miniature train display, robotics classes, a couple military recruitment centers, various service stores -- a tailor, shoe repair, couple beauty and barber shops, a place to get your eyebrows threaded, place to bath your dog... --

The stores that were open had few or no shoppers. No one walking around with shopping bags.

I don't know how the stores that are still there stay in business.

How is that these huge malls are doing so much better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or