Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:03 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times

Advertisements

Oldsmobile; Faygo (Moved someplace else); Ford (Moved to Dearborn); About two dozen little car companies you never heard of. Hudson's department Store. SS Kreske/KMart; Mowtown Records (moved to New York); A handful of steel companies;

I would guess the list is 100 or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 04:29 PM

3,403 posts, read 2,595,688 times
I moved to this city in 1972, with a population of only 17K. Today the population is over 300K and we have many top companies headquartered here, all white collar jobs. I don’t recall any headquarters before.

Headquarters of major corporations

Some of the country's largest and most recognized companies have their headquarters in Plano. Tree-lined Legacy Drive in the 75024 ZIP code, between*Preston Road*and*Dallas North Tollway, has many corporate campuses. The following companies have corporate headquarters (Fortune 1000 headquarters) or*major regional offices*in Plano:

• Alliance Data
• At Home
• Beal Bank
• Children's Medical Center
• Cookies by Design
• Cinemark Theatres
• Crossmark
• Denbury Resources
• Diodes Incorporated
• Dr Pepper Snapple Group
• FedEx Office
• Frito-Lay
• Hilti North America
• Huawei Device USA[29]
• JCPenney
• Main Event Entertainment
• Mooyah
• National Business Research Institute
• NTT Data Services
• Pizza Hut
• Rent-A-Center
• Robot Entertainment[30]
• Siemens PLM Software
• Toyota Motor North America
• Tyler Technologies[31]
• WingStreet
• Yum China Holdings
• Zoës Kitchen

In 2014*Toyota Motor North America*announced its U.S. headquarters will move from*Torrance, California*in the*Los Angeles metropolitan area*to Plano.*In 2015,*Liberty Mutual*also announced their plans to build a new corporate campus just a few blocks east of Toyota, bringing an estimated 5,000 jobs to the community.*In January 2016,*JP Morgan Chase*and mortgage giant*Fannie Mae*announced they would be moving regional operations to Plano, bringing a combined 7,000 new jobs to the community.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:04 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,722,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Oldsmobile; Faygo (Moved someplace else); Ford (Moved to Dearborn); About two dozen little car companies you never heard of. Hudson's department Store. SS Kreske/KMart; Mowtown Records (moved to New York); A handful of steel companies;

I would guess the list is 100 or more.
Since it appears that we have the same home town (you only get one, wherever you end up), I'll add Burroughs (merged with Sperry to become Unisys and moved to PA), Vernors, Sanders, Comerica (moved HQ) and some not that little car companies like Packard and Hudson. Motown moved to LA, although the Motown museum remains on Grand Blvd.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,256,561 times
Clayton Williams Energy-Midland,Texas is gone.A bunch of companies headquarted in Midland in the 50's,60's amd 70's went bankrupt.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:21 PM

34,834 posts, read 30,905,811 times
Quebecor Press Group is gone. AGC (a glass manufacturer) relocated their HQ from Kingsport to Atlanta. A local pharmaceutical plant was sold to a foreign group, which shuttered the facility after a few years. Several meat packing/rendering facilities have shut down.

In nearby southwest VA, coal mining is basically on life support.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Since it appears that we have the same home town (you only get one, wherever you end up), I'll add Burroughs (merged with Sperry to become Unisys and moved to PA), Vernors, Sanders, Comerica (moved HQ) and some not that little car companies like Packard and Hudson. Motown moved to LA, although the Motown museum remains on Grand Blvd.
I knew Motown moved, but not where. I googled Motown records headquarters and it said New York. Never trust google. Packard and Hudson went away in the 1950s I think. So they do not count per the OPs parameters. Ford also cannot count as they left in or before the 1930s. I am sure there are 100 or more companies we are not thinking of. Detroit was once loaded with Fortune 500s. Not so much now.

Technically not my hometown since I live outside the City and always have. But it is my home city, where I went to college, where I work, where we go for culture some dining, sports, etc. If someone asked where i am from, unless they are in the metro area, I just say Detroit. If I say an island in the Detroit River, half way between Detroit and Toledo they simply have no idea eyes glaze over and "Detroit" registers as the answer. It was useful last weekend. We were with friends in Nashville and someone was giving us a hard time. My friend walked up and said "Don't F***with them, they are from Detroit" They guy backed off and said "Oh s***! Sorry, I did not mean anything" Sometimes it is helpful when the mere name of your home city strikes fear into the hearts of "men" (Maybe also helped that my friend is about 6'8" and 280 pounds of muscle).

Old 04-18-2018, 09:03 PM

2,424 posts, read 1,489,002 times
General Electric is still in Schenectady, which is close to my hometown, but their presence here is a fraction of what it once was. Hopfully they hang in there.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,391,921 times
bumping thread for some comments

Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,114 posts, read 80,221,880 times
I can't contribute because our city of 60,000 was only incorporated in 1999, and in the 50s-70s was only a resort community for wealthy people in Seattle, with some chicken and mink farms. It was the late 1960s before the first new home development. The first "modern" school was built in 1979 (currently being replaced by a new building). We currently have about 400 home-based business but only two small strip malls, no big box stores and no big companies have ever been headquartered here.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM

13,574 posts, read 9,590,473 times
The city anchoring our region has lost National Cash Register, Mead, Delco and a slew of other major employers. Some of these were founded in this city in the late 19th or early 20th centuries, in many cases based on products and methods that were invented right here. 100 years ago, this was the analogue to Silicon Valley. Today, the only thriving local employer of any consequence is an Air Force base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics