Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:58 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times

Advertisements

My husband was unemployed all last year and we racked up a lot of credit card debt. The good news, he finally has a great paying job.

Now however, crawling out of this hole seems impossible. We own a house in a strong market. The house is way too big for us, and the mortgage payment is high. We could sell, pay off all of our debts, move to a smaller rental house.

The answer seems obvious, but I am waffling back and forth. I love the house, but have so much pressure not having any savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My husband was unemployed all last year ...

We own a house in a strong market.
The house is way too big for us, and the mortgage payment is high.
We could sell, pay off all of our debts, move to a smaller rental house.
Sounds like a plan.

As to the future...
1) start saving. Save a LOT. More than you think you can afford to.
2) if ever faced with unemployment again... accept lesser work rather than digging a hole.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:21 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
My husband was unemployed all last year and we racked up a lot of credit card debt. The good news, he finally has a great paying job.

Now however, crawling out of this hole seems impossible. We own a house in a strong market. The house is way too big for us, and the mortgage payment is high. We could sell, pay off all of our debts, move to a smaller rental house.

The answer seems obvious, but I am waffling back and forth. I love the house, but have so much pressure not having any savings.
You want us to tell you what you already know? Sell the house, it's too big for you.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
How long have you owned the house? If you are over half way through your mortgage it might actually be cheaper to stay put. You will still need to pull that mortgage payment from your paycheck, but a good chunk will be going toward the principal rather than interest, which means you are saving for the future. A rental is like paying all interest--once it is paid you never see it again. The interest part of the house payment, which gets smaller with time, plus the insurance/taxes/upkeep, can sometimes total less than a rental payment. That's a big picture approach.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
How long have you owned the house? If you are over half way through your mortgage it might actually be cheaper to stay put. You will still need to pull that mortgage payment from your paycheck, but a good chunk will be going toward the principal rather than interest, which means you are saving for the future. A rental is like paying all interest--once it is paid you never see it again. The interest part of the house payment, which gets smaller with time, plus the insurance/taxes/upkeep, can sometimes total less than a rental payment. That's a big picture approach.
It’s only been five years. We don’t plan on staying here for longer than two more years, that’s another reason I am holding back. However I think it’s time to bite the bullet. I hate selling, the stress and everything that comes with it.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sounds like a plan.

As to the future...
1) start saving. Save a LOT. More than you think you can afford to.
2) if ever faced with unemployment again... accept lesser work rather than digging a hole.
That’s the position we were headed to. One year was a hell of a lot harder than I ever thought. We had no debt and six months of savings.

Hubby was a bit blind the first six months and didn’t think he should settle. Sadly hard lesson learned.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 06-09-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 12:00 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Quote:
It’s only been five years. We don’t plan on staying here for longer than two more years, that’s another reason I am holding back. However I think it’s time to bite the bullet. I hate selling, the stress and everything that comes with it.
Got it. So now, you need to evaluate how fast prices are going up where you live. If it is 4% for example, that is a bunch of equity you can build before you move. But if it is only 1% it may not be worth it. Now if you do make some money when you sell, put it into short term CDs so it can make you a little money in the next two years. Of course you still need to figure in the cost and disruption of moving.
Good luck!

Old 06-09-2018, 12:43 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,588,321 times
The fastest way to wealth is not necessarily a straight line. There's lots of ups and downs.

Take the tactical retreat here. Preserve your credit so you can save an buy in again later. Besides, real estate has gone up substantially as this business cycle gets long in the tooth. Better to have some savings to act in the next recession than to be just holding on in good times and have no backup plan during bad ones.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Consider which would give you the most peace of mind.
Like many people you might not be confident enough to make significant changes for fear you will regret your decision later on. Remorse, I guess. In that case, consult a life coach or therapist to help guide your path. Consultation with an objective source who is without prejudice.
You want my opinion, sell and rent something that you will not have to maintain.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
Quote:

Why not buy a smaller house? Renting is throwing money away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics