Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is america cup for the future 1/2 full or 1/2 empty?
Boomer: Glass is half full 5 26.32%
Boomer: Glass is half empty 0 0%
X'er: Glass is half full 6 31.58%
X'er Glass is half empty 4 21.05%
Y'er: Glass is half full 3 15.79%
Y'er: Glass is half empty 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

Ok a couple of post on this tread has prompted me to put this tread out. I hope we will try to keep this on an economic focus. Though I know these type of treads often lead into the political and social issue.
So I'm a Gen X'er, and I sitting here watching the current (supposed) unraveling of our economy. And while I think the American economy is going to take a kick in the ba11s. I also think America will eventually right itself (I give it 5 - 7 years to fully work itself out). Now with that said, I must admit that I don't think America is going to come out of this crisis unscathed. I think we will lose our place as the sole economic superpower that world measures their own economy against. I also think that GenX and GenY will not have the same types of opportunities and/or careers that the baby boomers have. The job in manufacturing and computer technology is gone and probably will not be back for some time. Also I believe that future income growth will be nil and job security will be non-existent for Gen X and Gen Y. At least this will be true for the current careers that we base our economy on today.
So If you have read up to this point I'm guessing your assuming I'm of the a glass half empty view. Well not exactly. I think that America still has a lot of offer in the way of opportunity. But we (Gen X and Gen Y) have to really break out the binoculars and look both behind us and in front of use at the same time. What I'm trying to say is that we need to look to the past as well as to the future to grasp the opportunities that will allow us to personally thrive. Let us look to the past. Now I have posted many times about the need for some of us to return to farming as our career and way of life. And while I know that big multi-corps does much of the farming now-a-days. I think it time to push our government (I know I'm the political realm) to make it easier for the small time farmer to make it while disincentivizing large corps from farming all together. My personal hope would be that we could create alot of long-term sustainable jobs (perhaps for generations) for Americans. Now to the look to the future. While hardly a surprise to anyone that has on top if future job growth. I think we need to look towards Green Technology, new types of Water purifications, and the pursuit of how to transfer excess power production over very long distances. These jobs I think will probably be the bulk of where My Gen and Gen Y and Millennials will get there jobs from in the future. And I think it will be good growth in all of them. So I think if we really start laying the ground (focused education) towards these goals. We will have a good employment rate for the future for some time to come.
One last thing. For Gen Xer's, Yer's and Millennials. I think we need to really push ourselves to understanding how our own investments work. We can't just go to the large brokerage houses and hand them our money and say, "just put the money anywhere you think I can make money." As we can see that didn't work to well in 2001 and 2008. Force yourself to understand market fundamental. This will save alot of headaches (and bubbles) in the future.

In the end, I guess my view is that the glass is half full.

So. I've had my say and if you read this far, thank you. Now I'd like to hear you view and see if you think the glass is half full or empty? I'm going to add a poll to this tread. This will hopefully show some type of breakdown Generational of how positive or negative people are feeling out there.

P.S. Don't jump to hard on me for spell mistakes, etc. I wasn't and English major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 AM

184 posts, read 1,544,481 times
This is a great poll! As a glass-half-full Boomer, my guess is that most of my generation will feel the same, simply because since we've been around longer we've seen firsthand how cyclical the economy is. Our generation has not been defined by primarily one or the other (a Boom or a Bust) so IMO we are more likely to expect the ups and downs and ride both out, knowing from experience that a turnaround will always come eventually.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:06 PM

434 posts, read 3,177,470 times
I'm an X'r just waiting for the boomers to start to retire in the next 5-10 years. I just talked to someone today who does business consulting and he said that one of the biggest fears right now among companies is who will be qualified enough to take over management and sales. So I think that the glass is half full right now, especially if you know how to sell or add value to an organization.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
as a "glass half full"boomer, I think the economy is just correcting itself. things jumped in value far too quickly, which led to so much speculation and questionable lending. I do think that the youngsters of today(just beginning college) we need to realize that they have to actually work for their money. A lot of them, my own son included, has done some work to earn money, but not REAL labor to earn the money. they have been able to pick and choose a lot. this will not be the case in the future. they may have to take a job they don't love and aren't earning top dollar at. they will need to realize that they have to work their way up, they can't just start at $100,000.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Half Full

I have always had to fight for things; always felt I was behind my own generation and kind of out of step. I am a younger Boomer and much younger thinking. My husband can be of the 1/2 glass empty variety from time to time. What you say is so true. We will get through this. The lenders created the programs and need to step up. Their staffs and management earned huge commissions.

As someone who will have to work for a long time, I encourage younger workers and actually, I love working with younger people. I love the energy and ideas. I have 2 kids (Gen Y) and I enjoy being with them!

Great post, OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics