U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM

741 posts, read 802,881 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why I couldn't find this answer through google so I'll post it here.

I've had two checking accounts for 10+ years and every time I've opened an account, the financial institution will give you your account number. At my credit union this is a six digit number. This is only used when I walk in and talk to a teller or I call the bank; and its the account number printed on my monthly statement. However when you setup direct deposit you are told to use the routing and "account number" that's on your check book. The account number on your check book is always different from the account number I use in branch/on phone and from what's printed on your account statement every month. Why is this?

Also are they interchangeable? I ask because at Bank of America I've never had a checkbook so I've always just used the bank account number that it shows me online for direct deposits or initiating eChecks. I know if I were to order a checkbook from BofA, the checkbook would have a different account number on it and I could also use that number for direct deposit. What gives?

This question sparked my interest because while on paypal this morning I realized the credit union account that I have linked uses the six digit account number and not the ten digit "account number" that's on my checkbook. So this leads me to believe I could use either account number for direct deposit or ACH.

Last month I opened a third checking account at another credit union and they gave me an 8 digit account number, but the paperwork that they gave me for direct deposit showed a 10 digit account number to use that is completely different from the 8 digit account number.

And no, I'm not confusing routing with account number at any point in this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 09:39 AM

17,603 posts, read 12,197,156 times
If your checking account number gets compromised you could in theory kill the checking portion and reopen it without changing the bank account portion. I have no idea how your PayPal would debit or credit your credit union account number only knowing the cu account number. The checking account number and cu account should not be interchangeable for ach/direct deposit use

Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,228,937 times
The most accurate answer to your question is probably going to come from the credit union.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If your checking account number gets compromised you could in theory kill the checking portion and reopen it without changing the bank account portion. I have no idea how your PayPal would debit or credit your credit union account number only knowing the cu account number. The checking account number and cu account should not be interchangeable for ach/direct deposit use
Good to know. I'm going to test it out by adding my new credit union to PayPal. For the micro deposit verification I'll use the 8 digit account number and see if the micro deposits hit the account.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,269,902 times
Perhaps the 6 digit number is your assigned number with the C.U. (like a membership number), while the other numbers are actually the account number for each specific account.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Perhaps the 6 digit number is your assigned number with the C.U. (like a membership number), while the other numbers are actually the account number for each specific account.
This is what I gauged from the above posters response. However I found it weird that I have a credit union linked to PayPal for the last 10 years and I've been using the membership number. And I've made hundreds of transfers in and out.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM

5,036 posts, read 3,327,862 times
Sounds like it's you CU number, different from your account number.

I've had a regular bank tell me I needed to add an additional number sometimes for transfers from other places that they don't normally print on the checks as their system doesn't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or