Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

I think we've exhausted the conversation that this map is completely useless.

However, I still feel compelled to reply.

Maybe this map should be titled: you could buy a decent home somewhere in this state for this amount.

Because, really, that's likely true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I would need one hell of a lot of money to have a home in every State. I can barely afford one.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:54 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
How Much You Need to Make to Afford a Home in Each State | Mental Floss

I'm somewhat surprised by the orange states... ie: everyone says Texas is so affordable, but according to this it's higher than average.

The most affordable state is West Virginia, but I suspect that there aren't many good jobs there.
Uh. Hmm.

I love in N.Y., we,own our hone, and don't make anywhere near the $91k + it says you need to buy a house.

We are moving to a southern state for retirement, and may not have thst state's income level to own a hone, but selling our house (we own half in just 2.5 years), we could easily buy a nice home there, even without owning our house, we will not have the purported income to buy a home there either. But can sell our paid off house and buy 3 homes there.

It's all relative as the bigger cities will skew results for the entire state.

I never trust such sites or charts because the results are not always accurate to specific areas, or specific results.

I DO realize tgey are "median", but median is relative.

The second thing I learned in college was you can make a chart ( pie, graph, words etc any "chart" ) say ANYTHING you want it to.

Many people, looking at the N.Y. on that chart may figure they'd never own a house if their income isn't that 91k+.
That would entirely be wrong.

Also property values are a variable, a $300k can be one block over fro n a $80k house, and the 80k house needn't be a fixer dump. The "median " of thise two is what, $190k, so looking at that I'd say I could not afford that on say, a $30k salary, but it's with in the 2 or,3 x salary that would be "normal" to buy the 80k House.

So I never trust the charts.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,082,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the map is a joke . i think they based it on ghetto's in some states .
I am laughing because the income required to own an "average home" in Massachusetts is higher than in New York. That is funny. It is just poor journalism.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:29 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I am laughing because the income required to own an "average home" in Massachusetts is higher than in New York. That is funny. It is just poor journalism.
Actually, the real estate in Massachusetts is probably spendier on average than in NY state.

I grew up in Upstate NY (Syracuse region) and several of my classmates moved to the NYC area for work after leaving high school.

NYC is horrifyingly expensive, even in the "affordable" areas. $2k-$3k a month for rent for a place that is just a pedestrian 2- bedroom place.

The majority of the rest of the state is nothing like that. You can get very nice homes in my area for under $100K easily and even less than that in smaller towns. Buffalo is even lower cost.

NY might even be skewed a bit on the higher side because of NYC.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
ND and SD higher than MI????

Old 04-30-2018, 06:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Doesnt matter what state you live in, your going to over pay for any house that is in your area. Its the idiot people that keeps buying them then reselling them over and over, cause them to be over value but yet people are stupid enough to buy it.

Texas is prime example of this. Same builder, build the EXACT same house in one town going for 250k for it, but in another town about 20 miles away, goes for 100k. Only difference is the realtor that is selling it.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:55 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
It would have been better if they compared similar type of cities in each state. ie Seattle vs Denver vs slc vs Boston etc... Then they could compare second tier locations by state etc.... let's add some perspective on what it costs per state for similar ranking of cities for that state.

Just comparing overall average or median costs for the entire state is meaningless for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics