Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,026,960 times

Advertisements

Alabama? Zero. Given the time savings provided by e-file, it seems idiotic to charge for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,466,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I recently read where MN was #3 and now I can't find it - although I haven't spent much time looking.

This one and Wallet Hub show MN as #5 - still very high - but that only includes actual taxes, not extra fees such as the $25.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/10/us-s...x-burdens.html

I used TurboTax this year and H&R Block last year - 2 of the most used tax programs. My neighbor works for the state and said that yes the state is charging this, which sounded like all e-files were charged this much.

The other option was to have the fee deducted from the amount due to you but that fee was $39.95.
Turbo Tax and H and R block are charging the $25 fee, not Minnesota. If you used a service like free tax USA, your filing fee would be $10.95. If you used Credit Karma, the fee would be zero. You're putting blame on the state when the fee you are paying is to the vendor for their services.

Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Turbo Tax and H and R block are charging the $25 fee, not Minnesota. If you used a service like free tax USA, your filing fee would be $10.95. If you used Credit Karma, the fee would be zero. You're putting blame on the state when the fee you are paying is to the vendor for their services.

I really had no idea it was Turbo that was charging this. Thank you for that info. Good thing I didn't throw a snowball through Dayton's window..

Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I really had no idea it was Turbo that was charging this. Thank you for that info. Good thing I didn't throw a snowball through Dayton's window..

The vendor filing fee was my first thought but I didn’t want to be an ******* and suggest it.

But here we are...

Old 04-18-2018, 04:00 PM

628 posts, read 837,841 times
No additional cost in Maine

Old 04-18-2018, 08:10 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Minnesota isn’t in the top 5 for combined state income and sales tax. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Illinois, and California are. Wisconsin is also high.

Minnesota has somewhat high tax burdens but it doesn’t exactly come first to my mind. Even after the list above, I think of Maryland, Vermont, and Massachusetts. And from Minnesota’s website, my understanding is that there’s a mainstream list of 5+ vendors that they have free e file agreements with. I suspect you picked a different place to file and voluntarily choose the fee...

The “3rd highest income tax rate” of 9.85% is the MARGINAL tax rate on incomes above 155k for an individual and 260k for a married couple in Minnesota. In other words, few people touch that rate on any of their income and their EFFECTIVE tax rate is far lower than that. But it sounds “better” to have the useless media shock value of of saying “we” pay 9.85%!!!! Looking at marginal tax rates is often meaningless because it doesn’t take into account the entire tax structure (sales/use, property, payroll, franchise tax, etc) or how generous a state is with deductions or credits against that high marginal rate.

Alaska doesn’t need an income tax because of its natural resources. Florida uses a heavy dose of sales and property taxes instead of personal income taxes (to go after retirees). They also still have a corporate income tax.
Uh, no.
At least not compared to New York, California, New Jersey, or Connecticut.
In 2010 on LI NY I paid $4000 property tax on a 640 sq ft condo vs Palm Beach County 2018 $800 for a 1200 sq ft villa.. with 2 patios it is not even remotely close.
And the sales tax is less here also, so to me it's a dream vs. a nightmare.
YMMV

Old 04-18-2018, 08:30 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
You don't have to efile your state taxes. Tubotax charges $25 but if you click I choose not to efile it will lead you to a place to print and mail them in. It prints the correct few pages of forms, you sign and add a check if needed. $0.50 to mail and a few bucks for certified mail if you want to go that way. I have never paid to efile my state returns.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Uh, no.
At least not compared to New York, California, New Jersey, or Connecticut.
In 2010 on LI NY I paid $4000 property tax on a 640 sq ft condo vs Palm Beach County 2018 $800 for a 1200 sq ft villa.. with 2 patios it is not even remotely close.
And the sales tax is less here also, so to me it's a dream vs. a nightmare.
YMMV
So the four states I mentioned as being outrageously high tax states in general in the same post you quoted? Ok.

The point of what I was saying about Florida was they get their tax revenue from the source that makes more sense in their state. They tax consumption and property value instead of income for obvious reasons. I wasn’t saying they were the highest, but rather they get their bite of taxes in a different way. Obviously, New York is a different beast entirely. NYC taxes and col vs Florida isn’t even a comparison, except for maybe...maybe Miami lol.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 04-19-2018 at 03:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Michigan here:

TurboTax is $29 IIRC

Mail is $1.32 for three stamps. I have always used US Mail for our State Return.

The state has an electronic on-line form in which you can manually enter your tax data. This is free. I only learned of this option last week.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So the four states I mentioned as being outrageously high tax states in general in the same post you quoted? Ok.

The point of what I was saying about Florida was they get their tax revenue from the source that makes more sense in their state. They tax consumption and property value instead of income for obvious reasons. I wasn’t saying they were the highest, but rather they get their bite of taxes in a different way. Obviously, New York is a different beast entirely. NYC taxes and col vs Florida isn’t even a comparison, except for maybe...maybe Miami lol.
The part I took exception to was the term 'heavy dose' applied to FL real estate and sales taxes.
I guess if you compare it to Alabama it is, but not to the states where most of the country lives.
We certainly do agree, however, on the 'outrageously high tax states'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics