U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 06:35 PM

17,627 posts, read 12,224,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
and ya get a federal pension..I think the average is around $3,500 a month or more..
Railroad retirement is equivalent to social security is it not in terms of payout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 04:34 AM

909 posts, read 521,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Railroad retirement is equivalent to social security is it not in terms of payout?

no..it's more..

Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 18,910,587 times
One of my neighbors works for Southern Pacific and he's been posting on the neighborhood boards about how they're hiring and what a great job it can be, because of the OT. My husband was looking at the job posting and the physical requirements are very specific and intense, with suggested exercises to train your body to pass their physical. I think my neighbor is hoping some of the oilfield workers who aren't making what they used to will want to work on the railroad, and it seems like they'd be a good fit for those jobs.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 AM

4,940 posts, read 4,649,237 times
Dis ol' hammer - unh!
Drivin' hammer - unh!
Dis ol' hammer - unh!
Drivin' hammer - unh!
Dis ol' hammer - unh!
Mean ol' hammer - unh!
Killed poor John,
But it won't kill me,

Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 AM

3,723 posts, read 1,671,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A friend of mine is on RRR. He got disabled somehow although it hasn't prevented him from doing other strenuous work. His retirement is inflation adjusted, has OT figured in, and gets a raise whenever the workers get a raise.

Whatever, I like to see companies hiring people at good pay. Not WalMart pay but good pay. Of course, the work is hard and a lot of people don't like hard work. But the ones who take it can make a good living and be proud.

They can get more skilled along the way and work their way up. That's the way it should be. It shouldn't be a credential contest. The proof is in the pudding.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:15 AM

10,638 posts, read 3,319,645 times
I have a friend who works for the railroad. Awesome benefits!!

Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM

726 posts, read 573,011 times
Quote:
and ya get a federal pension..I think the average is around $3,500 a month or more..
Federal? They are companies not federal government. It's union.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM

909 posts, read 521,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Federal? They are companies not federal government. It's union.
but when you're working you pay into the railroad retirement board which is the equivalent of social security (but it pays more)..

from Wikipedia
Quote:
The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) is an independent agency in the executive branch of the Federal Government. ... As part of the retirement program, the RRB also has administrative responsibilities under the Social Security Act for certain benefit payments and railroad workers' Medicare coverage.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

17,627 posts, read 12,224,034 times
Quote:
no..it's more..

My father in law retired from the rail and at least according to him the RRR portion is equivalent to ss but he also gets a chance pension from the company as well making the total more. I will have to look into this more

Edit the first google hit has this which explains how I viewed it even though it wasn’t correct

Quote:
The answer is, probably not. Railroad retirement benefits consist of 2 tiers. Tier 1 is roughly an equivalent of Social Security, and tier 2 is based strictly on railroad earnings. Think of tier 2 as a company pension separate from Social Security.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM

726 posts, read 573,011 times
Quote:
but when you're working you pay into the railroad retirement board which is the equivalent of social security (but it pays more)..

from Wikipedia
That's interesting I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or