Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:34 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

Funny how when a landlord raises rents to keep up with what the market will bear the renters call it greed.
When renters want higher wages for their work it's not greed.
I've never heard a worker go to his employer and say "I'm greedy to accept what you are paying me. Please cut my wages."
Or
"Mr landlord, I'm paying $900 a month rent and all my neighbors are paying $1300 a month for the same apartment. Please accept this extra $400 a month as it's only fair. It's greedy of me to not pay you fair market rent"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 12:40 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So recently good friend of mine got pushed out of his apt due to rent increase, i know its basic of price and demand, but in the middle is greed? Seems to be a never ending issue, so how does it ever end? Excuses always been find a better job, move out and commute. But the problem still follows. Move out 20 miles to find greener grass, only to be push out again when the city gets bigger and LL keeps raising rents. Think this will ever end? Push out the lesser paying person for the better person that is willing to pay your demanding non-negotiable price?
Or just do the first part and get a better job? How? Improve your value so an employer will want to pay you more. Then you can afford the higher rent. Heck maybe even buy your own place
Instead of asking others to accomodate you, take the initiative to make yourself more valuable .

Old 05-01-2018, 09:40 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So recently good friend of mine got pushed out of his apt due to rent increase, i know its basic of price and demand, but in the middle is greed? Seems to be a never ending issue, so how does it ever end? Excuses always been find a better job, move out and commute. But the problem still follows. Move out 20 miles to find greener grass, only to be push out again when the city gets bigger and LL keeps raising rents. Think this will ever end? Push out the lesser paying person for the better person that is willing to pay your demanding non-negotiable price?
It can be tough in some places. You may need to either move to another city or buy a condo. You could also get a second job or get a job that allows telework and move 100 miles out. Pick whatever solution fits your circumstances best.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:52 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
An interesting article about how to reduce Bay area housing prices, and probably rents:

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...ing-costs.html

Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Cities are more and more becoming the place for richy-rich people or people who are OK with living like a peasant in a box.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:29 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Lots of responses here and some well thought answers. We are experiencing the same problems here in my area. See the enclosed link:

What now? The future of affordable housing | Fernandina Beach News-Leader, Fernandina Beach, Florida

This is happening throughout the US in certain areas. Much like those living for years in hot markets I could no longer afford to buy my house if I were starting over.

It just seems to me this upward trend in rising prices is quite a bit out of historical trends.

The days of modest 1-3% rises in real estate prices are a thing of the past in many areas now.

Older article below...............but we have climbed even higher in prices since then.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/15/b...ttainable.html

My two cents

Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Cities are more and more becoming the place for richy-rich people or people who are OK with living like a peasant in a box.

Yep, its the hunger games situation with out the "volunteers"

Old 05-01-2018, 06:45 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,375,189 times
A lady I know used to live in a rent controlled apartment in NYC. The building was sold, the new owner converted it to condominiums. The tenants were told "buy your unit or get out". She retired and moved to Florida.

When the land lord only gets a thin profit, the incentive is to move his money elsewhere.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
landlord owns the property, it's his/hers, to do whatever he/she wants.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Buy your own house, then your payments stay the same and eventually you own the home with no more payments/no rent; only property tax and insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics