Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 03:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
What? You believe that no one ever gets a raise/promotion/changes jobs to get a higher paycheck before they have a bill increase? That’s just nonsense.
Not sure what sector your in, but the sector I am in, hasnt given raises enough to support the 2% COL increase we get shoved down our throats.

If you get a raise than more power to you, but again bills will always get higher faster then your paychecks will. Something will always offset your wage increase rather you gain another bill or stay staus quo, thus you gain nothing. Never fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 03:42 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Not sure what sector your in, but the sector I am in, hasnt given raises enough to support the 2% COL increase we get shoved down our throats.

If you get a raise than more power to you, but again bills will always get higher faster then your paychecks will. Something will always offset your wage increase rather you gain another bill or stay staus quo, thus you gain nothing. Never fails.
That's just not true. Your experience is certainly not shared by everyone. My rate of pay increase has significantly exceeded my rate of expense increase for more than 25 years, and my situation is not unique.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:16 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:

That's the craziest thing I've heard all month on CD.
Once again you need to get a 2nd job or get training to get a better job.
You see the problem- you have 2 choices
1. Resolve it
2. Don't resolve it and live with the consequences forever and slide farther down the rabbit hole.

Do you think all your posts are actually improving your situation more than a 2nd or better job?

Old 05-10-2018, 05:53 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:

I haven’t had a single year in my career without a raise of 15% or higher.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollar psf View Post
My top line salary has increased 267% what it was when I first started my full time professional career 5 years ago. My expenses definitely have increased as I moved from a flyover state to California. Rent went from ~1400 to ~2500 which is about 80%. So assuming everything else in my expenses increased as well maybe my expenses have increased 100% over all. So I am still waaaaaaaaay ahead.
take it your in market of selling homes? so your income increase base on the move, thus your expense was offset by your new found increase in pay?

Yes we can all do better by second jobs, and be a slave to the market? Come on now.. do better then that. How about every job market just give raises every year by %2 when col goes up. How hard is that to do?

Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I haven’t had a single year in my career without a raise of 15% or higher.
It must be nice, no matter what I do cant seem to get one. I even took more certs, education and better position and not a single raise. Worked for a company for 8 years, and only raise i gotten was more OT. Left them to were i am now and the move was just like walking across the street. Guess i am just in the wrong area, or market, but yet my field their is a high demand for it.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
take it your in market of selling homes? so your income increase base on the move, thus your expense was offset by your new found increase in pay?

Yes we can all do better by second jobs, and be a slave to the market? Come on now.. do better then that. How about every job market just give raises every year by %2 when col goes up. How hard is that to do?
What is this fixation with a slave to the market?
Oh well, you're going to not do what what it takes and just wait for the world to change to your way of thinking and thus nothing will change. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the world to do better than that.
Since you won't do better than that, enjoy your freedom from slavery and home ownership and embrace the moves farther and farther out.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
It must be nice, no matter what I do cant seem to get one. I even took more certs, education and better position and not a single raise. Worked for a company for 8 years, and only raise i gotten was more OT. Left them to were i am now and the move was just like walking across the street. Guess i am just in the wrong area, or market, but yet my field their is a high demand for it.
This is your problem. Your lack of income growth. How hard is it to apply to a job that pays 20%-40% more?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is your problem. Your lack of income growth. How hard is it to apply to a job that pays 20%-40% more?

I have, and some just reply back that im "over qulify" for the opening, and others just never gotten back,even tho i meet their requirements plus some. Around here, what i am making is normal pay, anything higher then that, you need to get in the shoes of some excutives and im no arase kisser. There is another course that I can take, and they are willing to pay for it and was told it should get me another 10%, so i sign up for that but its just talk as in the word "should" threw a red flag. Ask for paper to back that up and get denied. So why waist time when end result is zero, and cert is non xferable.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Being a landlord sux....beside that, it's not really a very profitable business. Even real pros (companies, REITS) which buy and manage properties at the best prices possible tend to make only 4-8% per year. Many actually would lose money if not for the tax depreciation.

I think one secret here might be manufactured housing. That doesn't always mean "mobile homes", but rather homes that are factory built and then planted. There is one island near us in Florida where any decent house - even a fixer-upper - starts at about a million. Yet there are a couple nice trailer parks...well kept and very cheap (comparatively).

Of course, you have to be careful about the particular community...you don't want to move into a "barking dogs/meth heads" type of place. But that's more in the past these days. Warren Buffet (famous billionaire) owns a few large house manufacturing companies...so I assume he knows what he is doing.

You should look into that option.
https://www.claytonhomes.com/

You’re kidding right? It most certainly can be. Most people are clueless and mismanage their rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics