U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 AM
 
293 posts, read 155,031 times
Reputation: 324

Advertisements

Reading this thread was fun and scary at the same time. Fun because I have seen the OP whining about pretty much everything from rent to salary in Austin forum. Scary because there are people like OP who does not have slightest idea about how economy and even personal finance works and are apparently gainfully employed. Not to ding OP in this regard but we have been reading about how players who made a lot of money in sports could not keep it and things have not changed much. At least the OP comes to the economics forum and ask questions but there must be many others that just keep quiet.

To OP, you may be good at tech as you claim but earning money is completely different from managing money and forming capital that you can live off of in your retirement, and this is a capitalistic society (which means people with capital will always be more powerful than people with labor - skilled or unskilled). Please consider taking a class at community college or even on coursera - there are free ones. There are knowledgeable posters on this forum but without some basic education about money and economics/personal finance, all the posts may seem backwards to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:27 AM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Reading this thread was fun and scary at the same time. Fun because I have seen the OP whining about pretty much everything from rent to salary in Austin forum. Scary because there are people like OP who does not have slightest idea about how economy and even personal finance works and are apparently gainfully employed. Not to ding OP in this regard but we have been reading about how players who made a lot of money in sports could not keep it and things have not changed much. At least the OP comes to the economics forum and ask questions but there must be many others that just keep quiet.

To OP, you may be good at tech as you claim but earning money is completely different from managing money and forming capital that you can live off of in your retirement, and this is a capitalistic society (which means people with capital will always be more powerful than people with labor - skilled or unskilled). Please consider taking a class at community college or even on coursera - there are free ones. There are knowledgeable posters on this forum but without some basic education about money and economics/personal finance, all the posts may seem backwards to you.

You just prove the point that we all hate.. Rich people think they are above the rest of the world and quite honestly what have they done to earn it..( most cases absolute nothing)? this is why i despise kids with rich parents, as they will never know how to earn and know what a true dollar means to people. But, yea the austin area is so wayyy over price and you can watch the news to know it, and you know it is. I believe in asking questions that may be against my opinion, but we all learn what the other side thinks and knows. We all have our weakness and strengths. Never know till you ask, and im not scare to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 AM
 
5,605 posts, read 4,158,119 times
Reputation: 12338
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
You just prove the point that we all hate.. Rich people think they are above the rest of the world and quite honestly what have they done to earn it..( most cases absolute nothing)? this is why i despise kids with rich parents, as they will never know how to earn and know what a true dollar means to people. But, yea the austin area is so wayyy over price and you can watch the news to know it, and you know it is. I believe in asking questions that may be against my opinion, but we all learn what the other side thinks and knows. We all have our weakness and strengths. Never know till you ask, and im not scare to.
Actually in most cases they worked hard for it. Few are born into circumstances where they have huge trust funds and no need to work. Austin maybe overpriced for you, but if rents and home prices continue to rise and others can pay the freight, then no Austin is not overpriced.

Finally, you claim you’re learning by asking questions. I see no evidence of that. You keep posting the same erroneous economic thoughts/dreams. You really should take some classes. If knowledge is power and you truly want to learn, it can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 AM
 
293 posts, read 155,031 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
You just prove the point that we all hate.. Rich people think they are above the rest of the world and quite honestly what have they done to earn it..( most cases absolute nothing)? this is why i despise kids with rich parents, as they will never know how to earn and know what a true dollar means to people. But, yea the austin area is so wayyy over price and you can watch the news to know it, and you know it is. I believe in asking questions that may be against my opinion, but we all learn what the other side thinks and knows. We all have our weakness and strengths. Never know till you ask, and im not scare to.
You can hate it all you want, that does not change the fact. The fact is that US is a capitalistic society and I just mentioned what it means.

Austin area is not overpriced because of people at the very top of earning curve, it's because of people in the next tier (top 10% or 20%) who wants to live there and they know how economy works. Don't hate the kids of rich people - either they will learn how to keep their capital (and it's not easy work) or they will blow it all away once their parents die.

Money and economics impact all of us, whether we like it or not. The sooner you learn how it works, the better off and less bitter you will be about it. Even the people who want to change it all, need to learn about it. How are they going to change everything if they don't know what they are changing and to what?

You seem to earn good money through your job, why wouldn't you learn how to preserve it and make it grow? Learning by taking a class is not the same as asking people's opinion on the internet, how do you separate correct comments from dumb ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 01:05 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
You can hate it all you want, that does not change the fact. The fact is that US is a capitalistic society and I just mentioned what it means.

Austin area is not overpriced because of people at the very top of earning curve, it's because of people in the next tier (top 10% or 20%) who wants to live there and they know how economy works. Don't hate the kids of rich people - either they will learn how to keep their capital (and it's not easy work) or they will blow it all away once their parents die.

Money and economics impact all of us, whether we like it or not. The sooner you learn how it works, the better off and less bitter you will be about it. Even the people who want to change it all, need to learn about it. How are they going to change everything if they don't know what they are changing and to what?

You seem to earn good money through your job, why wouldn't you learn how to preserve it and make it grow? Learning by taking a class is not the same as asking people's opinion on the internet, how do you separate correct comments from dumb ones?

Yea only the rich of the town can live in town.. we get that and they keep spreading out, push out the rest of us losers.

Never met a rich kid that didnt have people in place to protect his wealth, thus trust funds are made for this reason. You wont see hate to say it but trump kid working at taco bell to earn a real living. I seriously doubt the top 1% has ever really worked a real job. Get out and see for your self. IF you find some smut 18 year old kid driving a tesla, or BMW, then you know its a mommy and daddy bought and pay for ( financed). And has no job.. mean while you and I are working and we get what we can afford that we WORKED for.

I can weed out the correct comments vs sarcasim.. and we all have our arguments. Each has their own side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 01:37 PM
 
293 posts, read 155,031 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea only the rich of the town can live in town.. we get that and they keep spreading out, push out the rest of us losers.

Never met a rich kid that didnt have people in place to protect his wealth, thus trust funds are made for this reason. You wont see hate to say it but trump kid working at taco bell to earn a real living. I seriously doubt the top 1% has ever really worked a real job. Get out and see for your self. IF you find some smut 18 year old kid driving a tesla, or BMW, then you know its a mommy and daddy bought and pay for ( financed). And has no job.. mean while you and I are working and we get what we can afford that we WORKED for.

I can weed out the correct comments vs sarcasim.. and we all have our arguments. Each has their own side of things.
Don't want to keep arguing with you but you seem to miss the point. There are very few people at the top 1%, or with trust fund, and they are not the ones who are pushing you out. Their kids may be driving tesla, so what? Are they competing with you for an apartment in town that's driving the rent up? Are they buying starter homes? I doubt it.

The people that are driving the rent and home prices up, at least in Austin, are the people working in tech like software and hardware companies, processor designs, etc. They are paid good bucks and can afford rents or inner city home prices. Are you saying that they don't work? If your definition of working is only working for minimum wage at taco bell, then I'm sorry but that's not the only type of work. Many others have said this but US has been moving away from low end work for a while and no amount of populist screaming on both sides of political spectrum will change this. High end jobs are getting concentrated in large cities and rising costs, it will only get worse. Blaming someone else will definitely not solve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 02:00 PM
 
2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Reputation: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
Don't want to keep arguing with you but you seem to miss the point. There are very few people at the top 1%, or with trust fund, and they are not the ones who are pushing you out. Their kids may be driving tesla, so what? Are they competing with you for an apartment in town that's driving the rent up? Are they buying starter homes? I doubt it.

The people that are driving the rent and home prices up, at least in Austin, are the people working in tech like software and hardware companies, processor designs, etc. They are paid good bucks and can afford rents or inner city home prices. Are you saying that they don't work? If your definition of working is only working for minimum wage at taco bell, then I'm sorry but that's not the only type of work. Many others have said this but US has been moving away from low end work for a while and no amount of populist screaming on both sides of political spectrum will change this. High end jobs are getting concentrated in large cities and rising costs, it will only get worse. Blaming someone else will definitely not solve it.

Yep, pretty soon we be just like the Cities in CA.. Look i get it, got to keep up with the demand or get left behind. Just got to remember too, these so call high end jobs are not for everybody, but doesnt mean they need to be kicked out town..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
4,110 posts, read 3,400,520 times
Reputation: 5633
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yep, pretty soon we be just like the Cities in CA.. Look i get it, got to keep up with the demand or get left behind. Just got to remember too, these so call high end jobs are not for everybody, but doesnt mean they need to be kicked out town..
I don't want to work hard, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be paid well and live in a more expensive house . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 11:17 AM
 
293 posts, read 155,031 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don't want to work hard, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be paid well and live in a more expensive house . . .
I am actually seeing this mentality a lot more in current high schooler population. I thought it's a recent phenomenon but maybe it started a while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 AM
 
293 posts, read 155,031 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yep, pretty soon we be just like the Cities in CA.. Look i get it, got to keep up with the demand or get left behind. Just got to remember too, these so call high end jobs are not for everybody, but doesnt mean they need to be kicked out town..
The world is a tough place, my dear friend. You are worried about getting kicked out of town, I have seen people in south Asia getting kicked out of the country (effectively) to go work in slave like conditions in middle east because they were not competitive enough in their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top