Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 01:58 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

[quote=jrkliny;51901791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
This is what I was worried about, that all this jobs hype was low end jobs not degreed professional high wage jobs (engineers, doctors, etc) or skilled trade jobs (air craft mechanics, technicians, fabricators, etc).....quote]

The opposite is true. Several years ago overall unemployment was running 6-8%, but unemployment for professional level jobs had dropped to 3%. It is only recently that overall unemployment has shown the same level of decrease.
Right but over all unemployment numbers can mask the high wage professional numbers. I have not heard any new numbers for higher wage professional job stats yet, just that over all unemployment is low.

Its possible that low wage jobs have exploded masking a rise in unemployment of high wage jobs.

I survived the 2008/9 collapse and now when jobs are plenty I get laid off ..... My hope is it is a regional issue and that once I start applying out of state I will have offers pouring in (GOOD offers) but I am apprehensive because I have not seen any stats of professional jobs numbers hyped yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,377 times
One of the biggest predictions Karl Marx made was a working poor class that he called “proletaria”. The theory is capitalists doing the exploitation only pays workers enough to eat and sleep, the rest of “surplus value” goes to exploitations as evil profit. In the end, workers end up sick and old, without anything left ...

Old 05-15-2018, 03:02 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
[quote=pittsflyer;51901894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Right but over all unemployment numbers can mask the high wage professional numbers. I have not heard any new numbers for higher wage professional job stats yet, just that over all unemployment is low.

Its possible that low wage jobs have exploded masking a rise in unemployment of high wage jobs.

I survived the 2008/9 collapse and now when jobs are plenty I get laid off ..... My hope is it is a regional issue and that once I start applying out of state I will have offers pouring in (GOOD offers) but I am apprehensive because I have not seen any stats of professional jobs numbers hyped yet.
All you need to do is go to the BLS webpage. Look up employment and unemployment data for the occupations and locations that you are interested in. People can get laid off for all sorts of issues. Here is my list:
1. Government contract terminated.
2. Bankruptcy
3. Transferred to another State, if I wanted
4. Company went through a merger and worksite was closed as duplicate
5. New boss who wanted to bring in his old staff
6. Company merger with worksite closure

Getting a job for life and exactly where you want it never worked well for me or for a great many others.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
One of the biggest predictions Karl Marx made was a working poor class that he called “proletariaâ€. The theory is capitalists doing the exploitation only pays workers enough to eat and sleep, the rest of “surplus value†goes to exploitations as evil profit. In the end, workers end up sick and old, without anything left ...
I wonder if some people just wait for a reasonble situation to get badly hurt at work so they can collect SSI and workmans comp indefinitly. Seems like thats the last strategy left.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:03 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag54.htm

The professional, scientific, and technical services sector consists of a single subsector, Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services: NAICS 541. Data published under either the sector or subsector classification are included in the tables below. The subsector consists of these industry groups:

Legal Services: NAICS 5411
Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services: NAICS 5412
Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services: NAICS 5413
Specialized Design Services: NAICS 5414
Computer Systems Design and Related Services: NAICS 5415
Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services: NAICS 5416
Scientific Research and Development Services: NAICS 5417
Advertising and Related Services: NAICS 5418
Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services: NAICS 5419

Unemployment rate for this sector as of April 2018 = 1.9%

Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag54.htm

The professional, scientific, and technical services sector consists of a single subsector, Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services: NAICS 541. Data published under either the sector or subsector classification are included in the tables below. The subsector consists of these industry groups:

Legal Services: NAICS 5411
Accounting, Tax Preparation, Bookkeeping, and Payroll Services: NAICS 5412
Architectural, Engineering, and Related Services: NAICS 5413
Specialized Design Services: NAICS 5414
Computer Systems Design and Related Services: NAICS 5415
Management, Scientific, and Technical Consulting Services: NAICS 5416
Scientific Research and Development Services: NAICS 5417
Advertising and Related Services: NAICS 5418
Other Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services: NAICS 5419

Unemployment rate for this sector as of April 2018 = 1.9%
Well that is outstanding

Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,057 times
Karl Marx was a piece of ****

Old 05-15-2018, 07:30 PM

50,779 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Let natural selection run its course. If you are too stupid to contribute to our changing world, then you should be removed from the gene pool.

Instead, we redistribute wealth from those who are financially responsible and want to be financially secure before having children and transfer it to those who lack intelligence, job skills, and money management skills.
I know of a guy who inherited money from his daddy, and proceeded to declare corporate bankruptcy more than any other corporation in America. And who also didn’t pay contractors, are yanked all the money possible out of the coffers for declaring bankruptcy leaving his employees in the lurch.

And just declared the need to help save jobs in a factory in a foreign country a day after that country contributed half $1 billion to his new golf course/hotel project in Indonesia.

That sounds really responsible, LOL, Except it’s not funny.

There are many many like him. Why people continue to defend them I will never understand. Not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-15-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:32 PM

50,779 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
One of the biggest predictions Karl Marx made was a working poor class that he called “proletaria”. The theory is capitalists doing the exploitation only pays workers enough to eat and sleep, the rest of “surplus value” goes to exploitations as evil profit. In the end, workers end up sick and old, without anything left ...
Sounds familiar!

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-15-2018 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sounds familiar!
That is quite a stretch to think workers only have enough to eat and sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics